Autopilot ?s

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Can any AP with altitude hold do a ILS coupled approach? Same for GPSS? If it's just a simple matter of wiring why wouldn't everybody do it, because I notice in airplane ads some mention it, some don't even though they have the same AP.

For non-certified experimental planes, autopilots with all this capability and more are getting pretty inexpensive.

My 2006 RV-10 AP will fly the entire approach down the the runway. :dunno: Won't flare though, and I still have to run the throttle. :eek: :lol:

Dual Chelton Sierra with TruTrac A/P.

It is a pretty amazing system.

Last edited:
Can any AP with altitude hold do a ILS coupled approach? Same for GPSS? If it's just a simple matter of wiring why wouldn't everybody do it, because I notice in airplane ads some mention it, some don't even though they have the same AP.

You need the vertical guidance computer.

For non-certified experimental planes, autopilots with all this capability and more are getting pretty inexpensive.

One of the big benefits of the experimental catagory.

My 2006 RV-10 AP will fly the entire approach down the the runway. :dunno: Won't flare though, and I still have to run the throttle. :eek: :lol:

Chelton Autopilot? Like one pictured here?

chelton_autopilot_ap3c_sm.jpg

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to rig an auto land system yet.

Indeed. My 2010 RV10 will do the same.

(3) GRT HX EFIS, G430w, with TruTrac A/P. Just amazing

Don't want to overlook it's ability to fly a published miss including a hold. Rarely if ever needed but nice to watch.

I played around with letting it get as close as possible to landing with a GPS approach. It started overcorrecting as it got down to 100'. Probably could have made some adjustments but why fool around with it when if flies the important part of the approach so well.

Back