Autopilot for flying in IMC

I have never flown in IMC with my autotpilot on. I don't trust it because of the wacky things it's done VFR so I just don't use it at all now. I had it INOPd for my instrument ride (per recommendation of the examiner so I didn't have to use it) and have left it that way. Maybe if I had something fancier than a Nav-o-matic I would feel differently, but that's how I learned. I think that an autopilot is helpful in IMC, but a requirement? No. If you can't hand-fly you shouldn't be flying in IMC at all. If you get an airplane with one use it by all means, but don't let your hand-flying skills deteriorate because you don't kow when you may need them.

Too much automation has certainly been a focus in air carrier operations (too much automation). In the majors, the vast percentage of someones thousands of hours is sitting and watching a FMS. In light aircraft, autopilots have traditionally been "helper" devices, such as wing-levelers with or without nav coupling or basic altitude hold. These type devices require that the pilot stay actively involved in the flying loop. The newer and more advanced GA systems mirror those of the the airlines and likely do contribute to pilot complacency.

All this technology crap IS a crutch for those chicken weeny pilots lacking basic skills.

When I cross the rockies, the great lakes, or the atlantic in a 172 at night in IFR conditions all I need is needle, ball, and airspeed. There are times in freezing rain, extreme turbulence, or crossing squall lines that a little more power would help, but it's not that big of a deal.

I consider a cold beer more critical to fight than any of this 6 pack, GPS, autopilot stuff and it's a lot cheaper too.

You need a 172 for that? I never need more than a Wright Flyer.

I personally will not launch into anything but the most benign IMC unless my autopilot is working.

I was flying hard IMC a few years ago and the AP failed! It started an uncommanded turn to left. Recoupled and it did the same thing! Left it disconnected and hand flew the rest of the approach down to minimums. Yes, it was more of a workload and will make your routine a bit more challenged but it can be done.

The AP gets used in every flight. It does a better job then I and allows me to monitor / adjust other important flight items. It does reduce workload considerably

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong w/ using an AP provided one knows the use and limitations of the device.

Last edited:
Late Thursday night I had the first hard IMC flight I have had in several months. I sure felt rusty and was very happy to let the autopilot handle the two ILS down to minimums approaches, and one of the two slightly higher approaches. I hand flew the last one, as I was starting to feel more in tune by then. I think I could have done a better job of tracking the localizer than the autopilot was doing with the stiff crosswind, though. But I think my control of the glideslope may not have been tight enough to allow me to get in. The autopilot allowed me to get back into the swing of things without overloading me right off the bat.

I did hand fly the climbs and level offs, so it wasn't like I did nothing.

Middle of the night hard IMC can be difficult without a little workload easing.

Back