Autonomous UH-60

As a troop who flew on helos a lot, no way n hell am I getting on a drone copter.

People say I'm nuts when I say that Arline pilot will not be a viable career option in 20 years. I think the time scale may actually be tighter, especially if we get in a war with China where we really need all forms of drones, and will still lose.

Don't sell yourself short, Henning. People say you are nuts about lots of other stuff too. :D

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Don't sell yourself short, Henning. People say you are nuts about lots of other stuff too. :D

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Consider for a moment that we live in an insane world, that would make an insane person in an insane world a double negative. That means in our world, a truly sane man will appear insane, and those who appear sane, deluded.

People say I'm nuts when I say that Arline pilot will not be a viable career option in 20 years. I think the time scale may actually be tighter, especially if we get in a war with China where we really need all forms of drones, and will still lose.

Sure the career will be gone but wannabe jet pilots will still be lining up to buy the training.:lol::rofl:

I don't think you'll ever see an autonomous helicopter that can compete with guys like Clyde Lassen. And if you don't know who that is, I'd suggest spending a few minutes looking him up to see how a human pilot can make a difference when the crap hits the fan.

I don't think you'll ever see an autonomous helicopter that can compete with guys like Clyde Lassen. And if you don't know who that is, I'd suggest spending a few minutes looking him up to see how a human pilot can make a difference when the crap hits the fan.

You'll always have someone in the cockpit for some missions. They're be there for when the system fails or in the military, it gets battle damage. It's quickly getting to the point though where the majority of the missions won't require human input.

The autonomous will fill in the roles that are too dangerous to have humans aboard. No need to risk human life doing a resupply to some "hot" mountain LZ. Not only that, fly to that mountain LZ while completely IMC.

They have their purpose, even the newest manned 60s that have fully coupled APs are probably much safer than its predecessor. It's just nice to look back and know all my instrument time (W) or even dust / snow landings were hand flown. Won't be long before those days are long gone.:sad:

With all due respect to Commander Lassen and the many other men like him, you may be missing the point. Without pilots in aircraft, missions like the one that made him famous will be unnecessary. That's a big factor in the appeal of drones. Plus, switching manned missions to drones will necessarily require a decision to give up the capability to do certain things. Someone will decide that the trade-off is worth it. Nevertheless, there will always be manned aircraft for some missions.

There are some significant differences between the military and the airlines that you fall to consider. To start with, customers and unions.

There are some significant differences between the military and the airlines that you fall to consider. To start with, customers and unions.

The only thing that matters is money, that has been proven over and over again. You think the Mechanics are going to strike because the pilots became superfluous? How about the flight attendants, think they'll give a rats ass about losing the prima donnas up front? :rofl: Yes, there is a significant difference between military and civilian ops when it comes to autonomy, civilian is way easier.

Face it, pilots are the majority killer in airplanes.

I think it'll be awhile before an autonomous system will reach this degree of precision. This is straight up two hands and two feet at work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JzDtpQb4nqc

:confused: Why do you think that? With the available instrumentation and processing capability, that should be no sweat. The most difficult thing to program into that entire scenario is how to make the decision to depart the scene. Laser and Radar precision referencing for machine placement in a multi fluid environment has existed for quite a while now. It's just a matter of adapting new hardware and adding an axis.

:confused: Why do you think that? With the available instrumentation and processing capability, that should be no sweat. The most difficult thing to program into that entire scenario is how to make the decision to depart the scene. Laser and Radar precision referencing for machine placement in a multi fluid environment has existed for quite a while now. It's just a matter of adapting new hardware and adding an axis.

This isn't flat terrain. Your "laser and radar precision referencing" has only been used so far on flat surfaces. In the vid, you're looking at placing a tire on a particular rock, amongst several rocks, within a few inches of tolerance. There's nothing out there right now that can do this. If you have a vid of a helicopter landing on a rocky surface with this degree of precision, I'd loved to see it.

This isn't flat terrain. Your "laser and radar precision referencing" has only been used so far on flat surfaces. In the vid, you're looking at placing a tire on a particular rock, amongst several rocks, within a few inches of tolerance. There's nothing out there right now that can do this. If you have a vid of a helicopter landing on a rocky surface with this degree of precision, I'd loved to see it.

No sir, it has been used at sea and manages to hold large work boats very accurately next to rigs in some significant sea states. While poisoning is a challenge, it is one which we can and will manage. Technologically we are an amazingly brilliant species right on our evolutionary track. Sociologically is where we fail, we use our brilliance to kill and destroy far more than create.

No sir, it has been used at sea and manages to hold large work boats very accurately next to rigs in some significant sea states. While poisoning is a challenge, it is one which we can and will manage. Technologically we are an amazingly brilliant species right on our evolutionary track. Sociologically is where we fail, we use our brilliance to kill and destroy far more than create.

Henning we're talking about rocky terrain here. Not a platform or even a pitching boat at sea. A RADLT such as in the rescue vid will be jumping all over the place. A computer trying to fly off that or any laser would be going haywire. Once again, if you've got a vid of an autonomous system landing in the conditions like the vid, I'd love to see that. This is the extent of the accuracy of the system right now. Picking a spot to land in a confined area is nothing like picking a rock amoungst rocks in windy conditions and the cg changing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8am8SU-Dk

Henning we're talking about rocky terrain here. Not a platform or even a pitching boat at sea. A RADLT such as in the rescue vid will be jumping all over the place. A computer trying to fly off that or any laser would be going haywire. Once again, if you've got a vid of an autonomous system landing in the conditions like the vid, I'd love to see that. This is the extent of the accuracy of the system right now. Picking a spot to land in a confined area is nothing like picking a rock amoungst rocks in windy conditions and the cg changing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8am8SU-Dk

The technology is not static, and technology refines very rapidly.

The technology is not static, and technology refines very rapidly.

Never said it was static. Just said it would be "awhile." I still keep in contact with friends in the Army and they're still in baby steps right now. Yes, LADAR can pick out a landing area. Some systems can even land on moving ships but the technology hasn't reached a level of reliability that's acceptable to transport humans. It'll get there. Hopefully I'll be retired by then.

http://defense-update.com/20130617_k-max-crashes-on-a-mission-in-afghanistan.html

That's the problem of going full autonomous...you never go full autonomous.

Never said it was static. Just said it would be "awhile." I still keep in contact with friends in the Army and they're still in baby steps right now.
By and large the technology to pick a spot like in the video you linked, navigate to it, land on it, hold position, and depart exits - some of it is 'embryonic' but it's coming. LIDAR/LADAR and what an operator (NOI) thinks of as Radar barely scratch the surface of what's being considered and researched. In and of itself it's not *that* difficult a problem, although the sensor and nav issues are currently a stretch. What *is* a problem is all of the contingency management. Autonomy has no 'judgement' and the failure modes and corrective action *must* be considered, implemented, and tested in advance. The defense contractor that figures out how to validate&verify non-deterministic guidance, nav, and control systems will rule the GNC and autonomy world - for a while ;)

And it will be "a while" before it sees regular use carrying soft pink bodies with no pilot - for these reasons.

Nauga,
the control freak

By and large the technology to pick a spot like in the video you linked, navigate to it, land on it, hold position, and depart exits - some of it is 'embryonic' but it's coming. LIDAR/LADAR and what an operator (NOI) thinks of as Radar barely scratch the surface of what's being considered and researched. In and of itself it's not *that* difficult a problem, although the sensor and nav issues are currently a stretch. What *is* a problem is all of the contingency management. Autonomy has no 'judgement' and the failure modes and corrective action *must* be considered, implemented, and tested in advance. The defense contractor that figures out how to validate&verify non-deterministic guidance, nav, and control systems will rule the GNC and autonomy world - for a while ;)

And it will be "a while" before it sees regular use carrying soft pink bodies with no pilot - for these reasons.

Nauga,
the control freak

I wonder if you could use a pilot in a simulator to "teach" it scenario/contingency reactions?

They have their purpose, even the newest manned 60s that have fully coupled APs are probably much safer than its predecessor.

There is alot of truth to that. When I first started in the Navy, the H-46 was THE SAR bird. It had no auto anything.

Now that the H-60 has replaced it, if the auto hover is not fully functional, then you are required to have a second SAR asset on standby before s y flight ops.

I wonder if you could use a pilot in a simulator to "teach" it scenario/contingency reactions?

Only to a point. Which is why I brought up the Lassen example. A computer will never make a decision like that. It is illogical. But sometimes a human makes a decision that although illogical, is the right decision.

Only to a point. Which is why I brought up the Lassen example. A computer will never make a decision like that. It is illogical. But sometimes a human makes a decision that although illogical, is the right decision.

Example, I was doing a ridgline resupply similar to the vid posted, albeit much lower and had the luxury of using both mains. Anyway, a soldier came running up at the lowest part of the disk. My co-pilot yelled "****! Watch this guy at 1 o'clock!" I had to pull back on the cyclic to keep from decapatating him. Aircraft actually slid back and our right wheel snagged the crew chief's ICS cord and pulled it from his helmet. Now, is an autonomous system going to have blade awareness to prevent that sort of accident? Will it even know if it's blades will strike rocks on a steep slope? I'm not sure the contingencies have been completely ironed out.

At any rate. Sikorsky said when this thing does enter service around 2020 (I doubt it), it'll be for non passenger carrying high risk missions. So yeah, I don't see one of these pulling hikers or soldiers off a mountain anytime soon.

There is alot of truth to that. When I first started in the Navy, the H-46 was THE SAR bird. It had no auto anything.

Now that the H-60 has replaced it, if the auto hover is not fully functional, then you are required to have a second SAR asset on standby before s y flight ops.

Friend flys HH-60s and says the auto hover is crap. They hand fly hoists. Something I couldn't imagine doing at night in rough seas.:eek:

ya, ya....radar would never warn of an obstacle....and software is not capable of integrating those threats. :no::goofy:

ya, ya....radar would never warn of an obstacle....and software is not capable of integrating those threats. :no::goofy:

The LADAR UH-60 has already proven to pick out an LZ based on obstacles. How does it react when "obstacles" walk towards the aircraft?

The LADAR UH-60 has already proven to pick out an LZ based on obstacles. How does it react when "obstacles" walk towards the aircraft?
I guess it'll just crash.....just like when the aircraft moves into one of those LZ objects.:yikes:

Now, is an autonomous system going to have blade awareness to prevent that sort of accident? Will it even know if it's blades will strike rocks on a steep slope? I'm not sure the contingencies have been completely ironed out.
I just posted that ironing out the contingencies is the hard part, but blade awareness seems kind of obvious, why would you assume it *wouldn't* have it? And the fused sensor version doesn't blink or look away. There are a few videos near the one you linked to that show less-than-stellar blade awareness 'wetware' as well (oh ye of little faith) ;)

It's the more subtle or unpredictable faults that bother me. And the ones no one considers until they happen - once.

Nauga,
predicting unpredictability

I just posted that ironing out the contingencies is the hard part, but blade awareness seems kind of obvious, why would you assume it *wouldn't* have it? And the fused sensor version doesn't blink or look away. There are a few videos near the one you linked to that show less-than-stellar blade awareness 'wetware' as well (oh ye of little faith) ;)

It's the more subtle or unpredictable faults that bother me. And the ones no one considers until they happen - once.

Nauga,
predicting unpredictability

Ye of little faith is a classic! There's also an Iranian Astar one I won't post. Probably against POA rules.

I can understand it could analyze obstacles detected by selecting the LZ. How does it react when people approach? If debris is blown in front of a sensor? How does it react when the LZ is changed at the last minute? A round takes out its link? EMI? Will it be able to determine friend from foe by using its sensors?

I think here are numerous scenarios that can trip up an autonomous system. I don't think you can come up with a computer that can adapt to a fluid situation. Like the fighter guys say, there's no replacing human eye balls when it comes to warfare.

Oh my....you wouldn't think they'll have a video link for a human to over-ride the auto functions?....back at the Ops center.:yikes:

I can understand it could analyze obstacles detected by selecting the LZ. How does it react when people approach? If debris is blown in front of a sensor? How does it react when the LZ is changed at the last minute? A round takes out its link? EMI? Will it be able to determine friend from foe by using its sensors?
Anything that's going to operate in an environment where these are issue will have to be capable of dealing with them. Either the helo/airplane adapts or the mission does. I think that everyone researching these systems, at least *seriously* researching them, understands that.

I think here are numerous scenarios that can trip up an autonomous system. I don't think you can come up with a computer that can adapt to a fluid situation. Like the fighter guys say, there's no replacing human eye balls when it comes to warfare.
There will never be faultless autonomy, just like there will never be faultless pilots. And eyeballs are relatively easy to replace, it's the adaptability and reconfigurability of the brain that's difficult. *Some* brains, anyway. ;) But that doesn't mean people aren't working on it. It just might not be as close to live-cargo-rated as, say, Pop Mech would have you believe.

Nauga,
and matters of time and space

Oh my....you wouldn't think they'll have a video link for a human to over-ride the auto functions?....back at the Ops center.:yikes:

That's if you have a link established. See Kmax crash above.

Example, I was doing a ridgline resupply similar to the vid posted, albeit much lower and had the luxury of using both mains. Anyway, a soldier came running up at the lowest part of the disk. My co-pilot yelled "****! Watch this guy at 1 o'clock!" I had to pull back on the cyclic to keep from decapatating him. Aircraft actually slid back and our right wheel snagged the crew chief's ICS cord and pulled it from his helmet. Now, is an autonomous system going to have blade awareness to prevent that sort of accident? Will it even know if it's blades will strike rocks on a steep slope? I'm not sure the contingencies have been completely ironed out.

At any rate. Sikorsky said when this thing does enter service around 2020 (I doubt it), it'll be for non passenger carrying high risk missions. So yeah, I don't see one of these pulling hikers or soldiers off a mountain anytime soon.

Blade disk arc awareness is not much of a different problem from "back up sensors" that automatically stop the car. More complex in parameters yes, but the same technologies and logic.

Blade disk arc awareness is not much of a different problem from "back up sensors" that automatically stop the car. More complex in parameters yes, but the same technologies and logic.

Yes, I'm aware of this. My question is how does the aircraft react? If some throws a ruck sack out in front of the sensor, what happens? If debris gets blown in front of the sensor, how will it react? I can see this thing picking up to a hover while people are boarding / dismounting because it got a false alarm.

By no means am I infailable but neither is the tech. I'm just saying autonomy backed up by a pilot is the way to go.

I can see this thing picking up to a hover while people are boarding / dismounting because it got a false alarm.
What prevents a pilot from doing this? If the mission is to take on cargo autonomously with the possibility of someone or something moving into the disc then there need to be a mitigation plan and plans for contingencies on top of those. No one seriously considering these things disputes that and no one considering them thinks they're solved. Yet.

I'm just saying autonomy backed up by a pilot is the way to go we've gone so far.
FTFY ;) Incremental steps. Sometime lots of small ones, and not all of them forward.

I'm not suggesting exclusive autonomy is in our near future, but I think I've got a better handle on the state of the art and the art of the possible than many. Like Lindberg, I think we'll have pilot in the cockpit for many critical missions for a loooong time. And I like it that way.

Nauga,
the meat servo

Yes, I'm aware of this. My question is how does the aircraft react? If some throws a ruck sack out in front of the sensor, what happens? If debris gets blown in front of the sensor, how will it react? I can see this thing picking up to a hover while people are boarding / dismounting because it got a false alarm.

By no means am I infailable but neither is the tech. I'm just saying autonomy backed up by a pilot is the way to go.

There certainly are difficulties, that's for sure, but I think using optical recognition and discrimination can solve most of the "false positive" issues. Teaching it how to react is indeed the greatest challenge. And where human:simulator machine teaching/programming would be really beneficial.

Autonomy backed up by a pilot/crew is most likely the short term solution, but will likely be a 'fly by wire' type interface where the pilot is digitally entering an instruction set rather than physically inputting to the control linkages, and quite likely those pilots will have to monitor the situation and gain/maintain situational awareness remotely through the sensor array.

Remember, what the US military's greatest weakness is is the ability to politically survive high rates of attrition. If we face off against China as we are equipped now, it's going to be ugly. To go forward using the same flawed logic as before in the Cold War and not execute the MAD option, we need as much drone capability as we can muster, because if we keep going, the 1930s in the Pacific are repeating themselves, and this time it's China allied with Russia and Iran to go up against, and everyone is willing and able to lob nukes. We just can't socially tolerate the attrition from what is modern warfare if we conducted it against China, we barely tolerate the losses in Afghanistan and that's under the banner of 9/11. Tolerating the loss of life against China in the defense of a financial syndicate that the founders revolted against, is something I do not see the American People accepting, and will cause WWIII to go the way of WWI with the USA ceding due to an internal revolution, and the aristocracy in Europe finally being over thrown in their quest for global domination through banking.

That's why we need all the quick and remote remote/autonomous capable weapons systems now. If there is any hope of them surviving, it is by being able to manage the attrition through automation and removing soldiers from the battlefield. It's the only "Hail Mary" left against the final death of the airistocracy that has been being pressed since the Magna Carta. Who knows, China may save mankind, we sure the hell aren't going to.

Autonomous systems don't not have failure modes. They just have different failure modes than human-operated systems.

Back