Automated phone systems

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Found this intresting. Anyone got a link to the actual article?

Dave

Yesterday, in our paper, the Seattle Times, there was an article regarding how to get around automated phone systems and get to a live person to talk to. Of all the companies that were listed, which were many, the worst was United Airlines which makes you go through a computer list saying the normal, "for English push 1, to ask about your account push 7, for domestic reservations push 4, etc, etc. United's time to get past the recordings to a live human was 16.5 minutes, with, curiously, Starbucks being second at 16 minutes. Southwest Airlines automated system took only only 23 seconds, and at Nordstrom's a live operator answered on the first ring. Service, anyone??? Raytheon wasn't listed. You can probably look the study up on the web.

I usually just pound random numbers with many zeroes to talk to a live person.

Dave Siciliano said:
Found this intresting. Anyone got a link to the actual article?

Dave

Yesterday, in our paper, the Seattle Times, there was an article regarding how to get around automated phone systems and get to a live person to talk to. Of all the companies that were listed, which were many, the worst was United Airlines which makes you go through a computer list saying the normal, "for English push 1, to ask about your account push 7, for domestic reservations push 4, etc, etc. United's time to get past the recordings to a live human was 16.5 minutes, with, curiously, Starbucks being second at 16 minutes. Southwest Airlines automated system took only only 23 seconds, and at Nordstrom's a live operator answered on the first ring. Service, anyone??? Raytheon wasn't listed. You can probably look the study up on the web.

Here is the article you referred to. Interesting article.

jangell said:

While that works fine, nothing gets more irritating to the person taking the call then to start "Thank you for..." and then hearing some douchebag start hitting buttons repeatedly in your ear.

You wana surefire way to avoid the long waits? Most IVRs or ARUs have a provision for customers without touchtone phones (yes, they still exist). Don't press anything. Avoid that urge to **** off the person who is trying to help you, and don't press anything. You will then hear "Thank you!" and you call will be forwarded to a genereric representative.

The other option: Press 0. Not 50 times, just press 0. If it gives you another menu, press 0 again. When the representative comes on, don't press 0 again.

Yeah - this is a very touchy subject for me.

Last edited:
one of my pet peeves ... IVR systems that require you to enter your account number or some such thing and then when they finally transfer you to a humanoid, they request the same info ... bad bad software design....

There are numbers that even punching 0 or # or anything else will not get you a live person. Those **** me off.

jangell said:

Me too, but these days that seems to get "Your selection is not a valid option" as often as not.

I used to program these things for small businesses and schools. The people in charge REALLY didn't understand what they were doing to the callers.

My guidelines were no more than three levels deep and no longer than 10 seconds per greeting. I scripted the whole thing based on their desires. Some would ignore me and I'd end up with 5-7 pages of script. Sheesh. Then when the caller finally got through, they were mad, regardless of the reason for their call! (Funny, too, when I got the call to go back out to reprogram it...to my original proposal)

They can get big, no doubt about it. AT&T's was the worst that I've dealt with. Over 16 levels and no way out with no 'human' option or default if you didn't speak. I swear the thing was designed to run callers into circles.

gkainz said:
one of my pet peeves ... IVR systems that require you to enter your account number or some such thing and then when they finally transfer you to a humanoid, they request the same info ... bad bad software design....

This happened to me yesterday. My business bank removed $559.00 instead of $11.95 from my checking account. The computer wanted the account number and my tax ID number. The first thing the customer service gal asked for was my account number and tax ID number. I had to hold myself back! I know it was not her fault. It will take five days for the credit to my account.

gkainz said:

Greg, I feel your pain! I detest those systems and don't think that I've found a single one where the 22 digit account number actually trasferred to the "human" that worked the problem.:mad: :mad: I always express my feelings saying "I know this is not your respsonsiblity but since the call is either recorded or monitored, THIS IS REALLY IRRITATING AND NEEDS TO GET FIXED!!!...Thanks, here's what I need from you."

Have to say, I have two hot buttons besides being lost in the telephone labyrenth: After I enter a bunch of data, the first thing the person answering does is ask for that same data. Worse, they don't treat me by name; they want numbers without even saying hello Mr. Sicilerieo or anything else--like when I call AOPA!!

Dave

MBNA doesn't offer you a menu choice to talk to a real human - at any level. But you can get there by hitting '0'.

SBC - yeah, the telco - makes you type in your phone number at least once, and then they ask you for it when you talk to a human. Woe be on you if you have line trouble. It's worse if you have DSL. A LOT worse.

gkainz said:

I can understand your pain. I can't speak for all IVRs, but I can say that for a long time, this happened at Comcast (it still does from time to time).

The main reason that Comcast asks for the phone number on your account is not to pull up the account, but rather to route your call to the correct call center. You call a national call center, and then based off the area code, you go to your local office.

The problem: Sometime people have cellphones with area codes that do not match their home area. Frustrates people that call and have to be transferred because they have a 505 area code but live in Massachusetts.

Still - I insist, please don't continue hitting buttons, even after the rep answers. Its rude and obnoxious, and certainly won't put you in good favor with the rep.

NickDBrennan said:
Still - I insist, please don't continue hitting buttons, even after the rep answers. Its rude and obnoxious, and certainly won't put you in good favor with the rep.

BEEP * BEEP * 0 * 0 * # # # # BEEP BEEP BEEP Hello?

:) :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Back