Automated Landing Fees

CMongoose

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CMongoose
I got a landing fee bill in the mail today from Stewart International (SWF). Curious, cause I've never been there. I called the number and the lady removed all charges.

Turns out a third party generates the bills from radar tracks. I checked my track logs and I did fly over SWF at 7000 ft on that day, somehow that got detected as a landing, I guess.

I fly that route reasonably often, although I"m not sure how many times i go directly over the airport. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what causes it?

I checked the flightaware logs, and the radar track shows me consistently at 7000 ft, so it wasn't a radar data feed error.

They probably get 70% to pay it without question. Basstards!

They probably get 70% to pay it without question. Basstards!

That's my thought. I wonder how many of those bills just get paid without someone even checking?

We got a bill once from an airport saying we owed a parking fee. But they could not come up with a tail number.

Another good reason to forgo flight following.:popcorn:

On the rare occasion I don't get Flight Following of late I'm still getting tracked on FlightAware. ADS-B?

What are they gonna do if you don't pay?

Flightaware does have a way to find any Mode-S targets if there are enough of their receivers in range(not an FAA feed), they'll show ADS-B if any receiver sees you. It obviously is much more common for high altitude flights. You'd have to have Position Only flights enabled to see them on your FlightAware account though.

http://flightaware.com/adsb/coverage

Not the first time I've heard this story about Stewart. Their "automated system" seems like a piece of junk.

Just the gubment wanting more and more money

Just curious, how much was the landing fee?

And soon your ADSB will be required to be transmitting your N number and location at all times.....for saftey of course

I'm going to start billing everyone that flies over my property. Even if only 1% pay, I'll be rich. I live almost due north of Tampa international.

What are they gonna do if you don't pay?
Probably nothing, but if they want to be a**es about it, they could report to the credit agencies you have a past due bill, sell the debt to a collection agency to hound you, or sue you for the debt. Of course you could fight all this if the debt isn't valid, but it would be a major PITA.

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago for BDR. I have no mode S, and my flight was not over BDR. I picked up FF to the northeast of DXR, so it surprised me also. I called the number on the bill and complained.

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago for BDR. I have no mode S, and my flight was not over BDR. I picked up FF to the northeast of DXR, so it surprised me also. I called the number on the bill and complained.

And????

KSWF and KBDR. Check. I'll stay well away from them from now on... even if I don't plan on landing there. :cool:

So, like, I stop at this fancy class D field with lots of jets and stuff in my little rag and tube homebuilt LSA.

Go into the FBO to pay for my 5 gallons of fuel. The gal has to get me in the computer system. Whatever. "What kind of airplane is it?" "Merlin GT"

She hands me the bill after a bit. $200 or so. WTF? I got charged a big service fee for a turbine aircraft - apparently the only "Merlin" in her database was the turboprop twin...

So, like, I stop at this fancy class D field with lots of jets and stuff in my little rag and tube homebuilt LSA.

Go into the FBO to pay for my 5 gallons of fuel. The gal has to get me in the computer system. Whatever. "What kind of airplane is it?" "Merlin GT"

She hands me the bill after a bit. $200 or so. WTF? I got charged a big service fee for a turbine aircraft - apparently the only "Merlin" in her database was the turboprop twin...

Next time, say "homebuilt." And tell her that the 5 gal you're buying isn't a top-off but a fill up.

Sounds like an attempt at fraud. I'd report it to their local authorities.
SWF = Port Authority. In other words, they are effectively the local authorities. You'll have more luck with someone whole holds them to account. Like the press and the media.

I called for fuel at our local FBO and the guy shows up in a truck with Jet A. Their computer have me listed as a Beech 1900 instead of a Beech B-19. Computers are great as long as the person running them know what they are doing. A lot of FBO's hire inexperienced folks and pay them a minimum wage. I don't let anyone fuel my plane unless I am there to see the fueling operation.

On the subject of landing fees. I can only think of a few times when I was required to pay such a fee in the US. I remember paying $25 for an overnight at SEA TAC, have paid NAV Canada $25 for landing in White Horse, YT a few times. Have had FBO's charge me to overnight at transient
overnight parking and usually get that fee waived when I purchase fuel. Automated billing never heard of it, it's been some time since I've flown in the lower 48.

Sounds like an attempt at fraud. I'd report it to their local authorities.

I'm not suggesting that was the case. They were very apologetic and removed the fee right away. I was more curious about the billing method (detected from radar tracks), and whether others had come across a similar issue there or other places.

Just curious, how much was the landing fee?

$5

Apology or not, it's an erroneous billing, even if the intent to bill fraudulently isn't there; they have some system that is gacked, and issuing bills for services not solicited or rendered, and likely others have been, or will be, paying it - make a little noise with the State's Attorney General's office.

My first xc (dual) was to SWF over a decade ago on a severe clear winter Saturday morning. Student XC in a Warrior and the a-holes wanted $10 I think it was, not waived. Only plane in the pattern the whole time we were there, I wonder why? I guess now they need to even shake down pilots that don't land.

Since we paid the $10, my instructor and I made sure to take $10 worth of their Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. :drool:

Back