Auto Pilot upgrade

6612v

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TJ CFIAI
I'm having a Trio Pro installed and they tell me you cannot use a card compass. Has to be a whisky compass? Anyone know why?

I'm having a Trio Pro installed and they tell me you cannot use a card compass. Has to be a whisky compass? Anyone know why?
Can’t use it for what? Who tells you?

Its in the Trio installation manual. Just wondering if anyone else heard of this.

The manuals I find with google don’t say that. Pretty hard to answer your question without context.

Its in the Trio installation manual. Just wondering if anyone else heard of this.
What's the part number of the manual that you are looking at? What's the page number that mentions the compass?

Sorry, I messed up. Its was the new AV 30-C that requires it not the trio.

Sorry, I messed up. Its was the new AV 30-C that requires it not the trio.
Are you looking at UAV-100397-001 (AV-30C Installation Manual Revision C) page 14 section 6.1 (Installation Approval Limits)? The last bullet point simply says "A Wet compass must be installed in the aircraft." If I'm not mistaken, a vertical card compass is also a wet compass.

Are you looking at UAV-100397-001 (AV-30C Installation Manual Revision C) page 14 section 6.1 (Installation Approval Limits)? The last bullet point simply says "A Wet compass must be installed in the aircraft." If I'm not mistaken, a vertical card compass is also a wet compass.
Aircraft spruce describes it as a dry compass.

Aircraft spruce describes it as a dry compass.
Well that's an interesting twist. I think the intent was that you can't substitute an active magnetometer but sounds like somebody messed up.

I like a card compass, but I may have to put my old compass back in. At least temporarily .lol

My dream mag compass is the SIRS rather than a vertical card, but I'm not sure about spending USD 300+ to replace my old-skool whiskey compass just because it takes a long time to stop swinging back and forth.

Aside from making sure it works and has a correction card, outside of training, in IFR aircraft how many seconds of attention does a compass get?

Aside from making sure it works and has a correction card, outside of training, in IFR aircraft how many seconds of attention does a compass get?

I probably get more use out of the compass ability in my car.

I like a card compass, but I may have to put my old compass back in. At least temporarily .lol
Is there anything that says you can't have both compasses?

Call Uavionix Monday. They mean you have to have a non-electric compass. Get the word from them directly. The AV-30 doesn't alleviate the necessity for a compass.

Back