Auto Gyro on floats?

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I was reading an article in the AOPA magazine about auto gyros and some of the cool new designs they have for them in Europe and it got me to thinking, Why don't we see more autogyros on amphibious floats? Is there a reason I'm not seeing as to why this might be a terrible idea? It seems like you could build an Icon A5 that can land and take off within 1000' diameter pond easily.

Everybody seems to like float planes. Everybody seems to like low and slow flight sometimes. Everybody seems to like airplanes with incredible STOL capabilities. Sounds cool to me, what do you think? Imagine this on floats-

Gyrocopter_.1.jpg

Or if you like open cockpit flying, they have already come up with this-

2c29d2c8b8e67be78f97f5188b694ab1.jpg

Why don't we see more of this kind of thing?

:dunno: Kind of reminds me of an apple where the stem is twisting...

dtuuri

Autogyros are not without performance issues of their own. You don't see too many amphib autogyros as you don't see many period. When you get down to the ultralight/sport pilot type stuff, you find that floats are heavy and decrease the minimal performance more.

I think the last time I saw an AG outside of Oshkosh was a guy with one of the little Ken Brocks who used to fly regularly at FDK.

There are a handful of MTO Sports and I think a Calidus or two on floats. You can see them on YouTube if you look. Problem is the useful load hit that they take. Pretty much rendering most of them one man aircraft at that point.

We have two guys in Florida with MTO Sports on amphib floats. One is a total BOZO and the other a pretty nice guy but I do notice they are constantly monkeying with things to try and improve performance. Which kind of says to me the manufacturer really doesn't want to get too involved.

The only autogyro I've flown is the McCulloch J-2 Gyroplane. I knew some of the factory people and test pilots, and I know floats were never considered. I can't imagine that it would have been maneuverable on the water. More importantly, if the rotor was turning but not up to speed, rough water could cause the blades to flex enough to hit the vertical fins.

Another issue with gyro copters is that most of them are pusher configuration and props and water spray don't play we together at all.

Another issue with gyro copters is that most of them are pusher configuration and props and water spray don't play we together at all.

I guess that is news to Republic, Lake, Sea Rey, Icon, and probably other manufacturer's of amphibs htat are using pusher configurations.

I guess that is news to Republic, Lake, Sea Rey, Icon, and probably other manufacturer's of amphibs htat are using pusher configurations.

I guess one could make a gyro with a boat hull like those to push the spray outward away from the prop. But - I think you were just trying to be an ***hole about it, so - meh.

I guess one could make a gyro with a boat hull like those to push the spray outward away from the prop. But - I think you were just trying to be an ***hole about it, so - meh.

Actually if you look close you can see the screen that's designed to mitigate the effects of water spray. Having the engine behind the fuselage is much better in the world of seaplanes.

Actually if you look close you can see the screen that's designed to mitigate the effects of water spray. Having the engine behind the fuselage is much better in the world of seaplanes.

Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned it. That big white panel isn't there for looks.

As for the engine being behind the fuselage being 'much better' in the world of seaplanes - well, if you say so.

Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned it. That big white panel isn't there for looks.

As for the engine being behind the fuselage being 'much better' in the world of seaplanes - well, if you say so.

You didn't mention the panel at all that's why I brought it up. As far as me "saying so" the designers of the majority of all light seaplanes and amphibs appear to agree.

Back