Auto GPS speed camera database - which one?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I bought a new auto GPS - a Garmin 3597 LMTHD. On my old GPS I had a database of speed cameras and red light cameras loaded onto it from the now defunct Trapster. Question is, for those using such a database in their auto GPS, what database are you using?

I use Waze on my phone and it has an excellent database, but to my knowledge I cannot download its speed camera database for use on the Garmin.

I looked at the Phantom database but in my area it has inaccuracies.

What are you using?

I just go the speed limit.

I know thats not helpful but i think its neat there are apps for this.

RIP Trapster. Didn't know anyone else offered a download and it was about |-| that close to being removed from Trapster.com.

I just go the speed limit.

I know thats not helpful but i think its neat there are apps for this.

Lol

Yeah, I've gotten a few red light tickets when I actually did stop

Lol

Yeah, I've gotten a few red light tickets when I actually did stop

I have, too, but they've always been dismissed when I requested human review. Usually the camera timing is off or the computer mis-read the plate ("3" instead of "8", etc.). It happens pretty often.

Another thing that happens sometimes is that the yellow light is too short for whatever reason. In New York City, at least, if you can prove that the yellow interval was less than four seconds, then the ticket will be dismissed. But it's up to the defendant to prove it, usually with a dashcam.

Where are live now there are few lights, and even fewer cameras, so it's a non-issue.

Rich

I don't bother keeping my automotive Garmins updated anymore. They always wanted money, and multiple Apps in the phone easily do a better job with real time data than the Garmins ever did.

All the Garmins do anymore is act as a backup if the phone goes dead because I forgot to plug it in. And the phone will be back in five minutes of charging, tops.

Even then, usually the iPad is somewhere on board so they're really the second backup system.

It's kinda fun watching Waze kick the Garmin's butt in routing, though.

The Garmin in the diesel truck tracks the historical fuel mileage. It gets more work doing that than mapping anything.

Waze is great. I would like the ability to download it's database and put it in the garmin gps. I would like the ability to select what to display on waze even if it were a paid upgrade. The ads on waze can be annoying and distrating.

The garmin does lag behind waze in current data, and occasionally on routing but I find it more reliable, has a better display, lane assist is more intuitive, and voice command is superior. If a call comes into the phone it may interfere with navigation. So I tend to run both when I have to drive.

Can't imagine buying an automotive GPS. The phone does all that. Probably won't buy another aviation GPS since an iPad will do all that and quite a bit more.

Back