Auto cracked dash repair?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe and the plastic dash has developed a crack. It is on top of the dash above the instrument cluster. It rattles and I would like to patch it or plastic weld it. Anyone have any personal experience and a suggestion? The plastic is black and it would be nice if it blended in with the color. Hot melt glue? Gorilla glue? JB Weld? Other products?

JB Weld, then use something to simulate the dash texture while it’s still soft. Then use carpet/interior dye (dupli-color makes it in an aerosol). The finish will be much closer to the surrounding area. Before you start, make sure to wipe the entire area several times with rubbing alcohol to remove old protectant sprays, etc.

There are also folks who specialize in repairing dashboards and leather interiors. I watched one repair a cut in a leather seat and when he was done, you’d never guess it had been repaired. You might ask a local detail shop as some have someone they bring in for this sort of thing.

The other option is a suitable used replacement-GM cranked out a ton of Silverados/Sierras, Yukons/Tahoes, and Yukon XLs/Suburbans in that vintage. A local salvage is very likely to have a dash you could pull for cheap. PITA to install, but might be worth it.

Last edited:
Back