Aussie Rescue Flight

poadeleted20

Deleted
Well, I've been suckered in again. The Aussie Rescue group needs us to move a couple of dogs on Monday. Looks like a 10 am pickup of a middle-aged male in Lewisburg WV (LWB ) to go to the Hampton Roads area (landing Williamsburg JGG), where there's a 1-1/2 y/o dog who has a new home in Reading PA. Long day of flying -- depart SBY about 0730 to make a hard 1500 meeting at RDG with time for lunch at Charley's at JGG.

Can I use the "Compassion" call sign for this? It sounds like a "...non-profit flying operation serving the public interest, especially those conducted by volunteers."

Oh, and there's also a 3-month old allegedly housebroken male named Brayden in Hampton Roads who needs a home -- we're trying to figure out if we can handle four dogs in the house, and whether Bucky (see attached) needs a kid brother. See http://members.aol.com/arphinc/page_3.html to meet him.

Ron, doing a nice thing for dogs makes you a better person.

Woof.

My cousins have used Aussies to run cattle in California. Darned smart dogs. And they love to work. Enjoy!

Ron Levy said:
Can I use the "Compassion" call sign for this? It sounds like a "...non-profit flying operation serving the public interest, especially those conducted by volunteers."

I don't see why not. If a habitat or environmental survey qualifies, your mission sure ought to. This is the "official" guidance:
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
COMPASSION and its associated three-letter identifier CMF are to be used to identify aircraft conducting bona fide nonprofit public benefit flying missions as from time to time may be defined in this document or revisions to it. Such missions may include the following: transporting individuals for health care, diagnostics, or treatment; transporting blood, tissues, organs, or medical supplies; transporting emergency personnel, equipment, and supplies in time of emergency or public need; performing habitat or environmental survey or other missions in support of environmental objectives; and in general conducting non-profit flying operations serving the public interest, especially those conducted by volunteers. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]COMPASSION may be used during a positioning or ferry leg of flight when patients, supplies, or emergency personnel are not being transported only if such a flight leg has time constraints and there might be a need for helpful (but not priority) handling by ATC.
[/font]

Ron said:
Oh, and there's also a 3-month old allegedly housebroken male named Brayden in Hampton Roads who needs a home -- we're trying to figure out if we can handle four dogs in the house, and whether Bucky (see attached) needs a kid brother. See http://members.aol.com/arphinc/page_3.html to meet him.

Hmmm. I've been thinking it's about time we replaced our last dog. How well does this breed do with cats?

Ron, you really know how to tug at the heart strings. He is really a cool looking dog and hope he finds a good home.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
Hmmm. I've been thinking it's about time we replaced our last dog. How well does this breed do with cats?
They generally think cats are fun to play with. They're happy with them, and won't harm them, but will chase them if they run. If they catch the cat, they usually just stand there and look disappointed that the cat isn't running any more, and will back off fast if the cat turns on them. The Aussie Rescue web site has a lot on the subject -- http://www.aussierescue.org. Check the "About Aussies" section and the comments about individual dogs in the listings of Aussies available for adoption.

I can't stress enough that Aussies are very energetic and require something to keep them busy, lest they find their own, often destructive, pastimes. Bucky's is tennis balls -- chasing/retrieving and chewing. Our floors are covered with shredded bits of former tennis balls, but it's better than chewed furniture and shredded upholstery, which he learned not to mess with as long as there are plenty of tennis balls around.

Ron

Ron,

Shame that the breed gets too big for a Mooney that already has four folks in it. Matthew really loved Bucky and the boys want a dog.

Len

I'm glad that my wife and kids didn't see the pic you attached Ron, otherwise I'd be driving to MD this weekend...

My ex used to work with the dobermen and german shepard rescue organizations near Pittsburgh, PA. At one time I've had 6-8 dogs and 10+ cats in our house while she was finding suitable placements.

I'm currently cat and dog free, but the current wife and kids are working on me almost every day. ;)

inav8r said:
I'm glad that my wife and kids didn't see the pic you attached Ron, otherwise I'd be driving to MD this weekend...
The dog in the attached pic is OUR dog Bucky, and while you're welcome to visit and play "toss the ball" with him, you're leaving with him only over my dead body. For a picture of Brayden (who is in Hampton Roads) and other available Aussies around the region and the country, see the Aussie Rescue web site http://www.aussierescue.org/ and click on "Available Aussies" -- Brayden's in the Virginia Section, ARPH #8152. Also, check the section on "Adopting an Aussie" for how to go about the process of adopting a rescued Aussie.

Ron Levy said:
The dog in the attached pic is OUR dog Bucky, and while you're welcome to visit and play "toss the ball" with him, you're leaving with him only over my dead body.
LOL, oops!! I obviously misread that.

Back