Audio panel identification and radio stack

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
Attached is our radio stack in a 1976 Cessna 182P. I'm attempting to talk the other partners into an upgrade of something that is a bit more current before I start my IR training. I just recently was able to get the audio panel to work for me, as I think it has issues and there are two switches that I am not sure what they do. The GPS is older and does work, and the other radio is a pain in the a$$ and old.

First, can someone tell me the manufacturer of the audio panel so that I can get a proper manual? The POH has a picture of the original installed and I cannot find the current one that you can see in the attached picture.

Second, I'm taking suggestions for an upgrade path. Someone recently said to me that we should swap the audio panel for something updated at anywhere from $1000 - $1400. Then change the second radio (not the GPS) for a Garmin 430 and use the current GPS as a second radio. I was told that a 430 would cost about $5k with both having install costs. I'm willing to hear other proposals that I can pass along.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 95
its an ARC audio panel, orginal equipment cessna. the problem with your upgrade idea is that both the gx60 and the 430 are non-production radios. there are NO screens left for the gx60, if the screen goes bad, the radio is junk. the 430 is very close to the same problem. it will be in the very near future that the screen in it will be a replace the whole unit item. as the instillation cost for a new comm/GPS is close to the street price of a 430, it really makes more sense to go with a unit that is in production if you are going to keep the aircraft for some time. since you are not talking about a wass unit, I would keep the GX60 until it dies, the 430 will not give you anything more than the gx60 does except the map function. unless you go to wass unit you will not get more approach capability than the gx60.

bob

If you go with a 430, make it WAAS.. good ones are going ~$7500 + installation. You can take the repair advice for what it is worth. Every GTN lover trash talks the GNS series. So be it.

But for accuracy, the 430 (WAAS or not) will give you a second NAV radio. (Enter the ILS and VORs are being dismantled crowd) which will make it easier to find intersections without the magenta line.

:popcorn:

I just installed an audio panel and intercom in my 182Q, you're looking closer to $5K+ for an install, the labor is more than the audio panel! :D

We got a price for a 430w and it was $13,500 installed. I don't know if some of your existing GPS wiring/antenna will work for newer equipment.

The GX60 is IFR capable so I would stay with that unless you want to do a WAAS upgrade.

The GX60 is IFR capable so I would stay with that unless you want to do a WAAS upgrade.

I was told that is wasn't approach certified byt someone and someone else said it is. I haven't looked it up yet. Seems like the 430 and beyond would be easier to use for IFR.

The GX60 is approval for IFR (non-WAAS) approaches. You'll need to dig through your aircraft paperwork to see if it was installed in a way that makes that legal. You should have a flight manual supplement and also 337's on the installation if it was IFR-approach legal.

As you were told the audio panel is standard Cessna ARC stuff. You should have instructions for it in your POH.

I was told that is wasn't approach certified byt someone and someone else said it is. I haven't looked it up yet.

The GX manual says that the GX 50 and GX 60 are authorized for IFR non-precision approaches.

Seems like the 430 and beyond would be easier to use for IFR.

Having flown approaches with both the GX 50 and Garmin 430, my experience is that the latter is MUCH easier to use. The GX 60 is the same as the 50 except that it contains a comm radio.

I was told that is wasn't approach certified byt someone and someone else said it is. I haven't looked it up yet. Seems like the 430 and beyond would be easier to use for IFR.

IIRC, the GX55 is VFR only. But the GX60 is IFR. It's a clunky interface to be sure but it won't give you much less functionality than a non-WAAS 430.

GX 55 and 65 are approved for IFR enroute and terminal operations, just not approaches.

Back