Attitude Overhaul

True for the experimental version put in home built aircraft but be prepared for backpedaling, use of the internal antenna is not an approved configuration in the STC.

Thanks, I'll look into that further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question from a noob. I would do just as @NealRomeoGolf has and move my vacuum AI to the turn coordinator spot. I'm planning on using my plane for for instrument training soon. Looking at FAR 91.205(d)(4) I see a slip-skid indicator is required for IFR flight. I realize the G5 has this feature, but it's my understanding it can only replace the AI per the STC. Can I legally fly IFR with a G5 as the primary AI and a vacuum AI as the "turn coordinator?"

Another question from a noob. I would do just as @NealRomeoGolf has and move my vacuum AI to the turn coordinator spot. I'm planning on using my plane for for instrument training soon. Looking at FAR 91.205(d)(4) I see a slip-skid indicator is required for IFR flight. I realize the G5 has this feature, but it's my understanding it can only replace the AI per the STC. Can I legally fly IFR with a G5 as the primary AI and a vacuum AI as the "turn coordinator?"

The G5 is allowed to cover the slip/skid and rate of turn as long as you keep you vacuum AI is my understanding of the STC.

The G5 is STCed to replace any AI or TC not part of an autopilot system.

Replacing the TC with a vacuum Attitude indicator can be accomplished via https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-75.pdf

@arkvet did you get yours done at Bondurant?
Negative.

Dyersburg avionics installed my G5. They did a good job with the install but due to 20+ hours of additional labor I did not put it in the AI slot. I replaced the TC with the G5.

I was leaning hard towards coughing up he extra $ to move it but have decided to wait things out. I'd hate to pay $2k to move it and 6 months from now an STC comes out allowing the G5 to run my AP. If / when that happens the vacuum AI doesn't have to be moved... it gets to be REmoved.

Back