(Attached) Pics & Video - Ice Runway in New Hampshire!

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Ice Runway Landing - Alton Bay, New Hampshire (B18 - seaplane base in summer season)

We flew out to Alton Bay, New Hampshire to land on the only FAA approved Ice Runway, in the lower 48 states! A nice day for flying and good conditions on the frozen lake (3000' x 100').

A good amount of planes were flying there for the experience, but it was not for everyone. The plane that landed in front of me swerved once he touched down, did a go-around and on the radio announced it was his first time and he's going home, did not feel comfortable. Another plane had a nose gear incident yesterday and a google image search may deter others, from previous years' issues.

For 8296W, It was our first ice landing as well, but nothing out of the ordinary to report. Similar to our landings at BurningMan or a soft/short field in the woods, which also include 'off-airport' risks. But once the water freezes thick enough on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, the FAA approves it as the only ice runway in the lower 48 states! Landing tips: a low and slow approach, no brakes on landing and keep the nose up.

It was a great experience and I look forward to doing it next year again.

More Pictures and video soon in the Link below
http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/

Phillip

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-01%20at%2012.47.08%20PMAlton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-01%20at%2012.47.35%20PMAlton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

IMG_6680Alton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_6651Alton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

Pretty cool pics! Looks like a fun airport to fly into.

Is there any way to tie down aircraft on the ramp? Or is it just a big slip n slide?

(I'm from Florida, never seen solid ice to be honest... :))

Slip and Slide! :) Ill post the video soon too
p

I have landed. On the lakes several times,before moving the airplane to FLA for the winters. They have quite a few minor incidents every year ,if the cross winds are up. Take offs can get exciting.

I've been trying to get down there for the last month, every time I have, well time, weather prevents the trip or the airport closes, I'd really like to check it out.

I see you brought some bait for pike fishing. Just make sure the hole in the ice is big enough.

I thought for sure you missed a 'd' and meant "iced" runway. Then I opened it up and... nope... ICE runway.

That would be a unique experience.

I got a chuckle out of the entry at AirNav. Glad to know the summer water is in excellent condition:
Runway1/19
Dimensions: 2600 x 100 ft. / 792 x 30 m
Surface: water, in excellent condition
RY 01/19 HAS ICE IN WINTER PLOWED TO APPROX 2300 FT. CHECK NOTAMS FOR ICE RY CONDITIONS.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/B18

Anything neat to do once you get out of the aerospace vehicle?

I'm considering taking my Citabria up there....

We went there last year. There's a few nice little shops, and a couple of restaurants to grab lunch at overlooking the lake. We did get quizzed by ATC about how exactly we were planning to land an Arrow on a lake :D

It was a great experience, you guys should post your pictures too

We went there last year. There's a few nice little shops, and a couple of restaurants to grab lunch at overlooking the lake. We did get quizzed by ATC about how exactly we were planning to land an Arrow on a lake :D

I'd love to hear the LiveATC recording of that!

Back