ATP impact

Depends on the individual I suppose. I can't really think of a terrestrial based job that I would equate to a better life. There's a lot of "adventure" to be missed and opportunity to fly into really unique places in really unique equipment.

I manage to get around pretty well, and I'm not just hitting a hotel for rest and turning around either.

Just curious. What a cool airplane. Once deregulation kicked in, Rocky couldn't make a profit flying them or much of anything else.

The only reason we made money with them in the '80's was that they created slots in DCA where none existed before through the SALS (Separate Access Landing System) program (a very restrictive LAHSO type program). The DHC-7 was one of the only airplanes that was legal (AFAIK), not only due to it's STOL capabilities, but also because one of the requirement for SALS was that on a balked landing, that the airplane can go around and not overfly the active runway with one engine inop.

Even on 3 engines, the DHC-7 had no problems doing it. Heck, we could legally ferry them on 3.

It was by far the most fun airplane I've flown professionally, and we didn't really go anywhere that challenged it's capabilities. The Rocky Mt. guys got to exercise it more thoroughly!

Once we started using it like an ATR, the thing killed us in mx and fuel.

Back