ATP Check Ride with an Expired ATP Written

thusitha1986

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
Fellow Pilots,

I took my ATP written last year, (July 2014) and I am not sure if I will be able to acquire 1500TT by July 2016. (Two year mark) I have been doing some research and was told that I might be able to take the ATP check ride once I obtain 1500TT even if my ATP WRITTEN EXPIRES as long as I am working for part 135 operation by the time I take my ATP check ride and it’s up to the Check Ride Examiner ? It seems like this is a gray area because I didn’t find anything related to that on FAR/AIM.
I would not like to take the ATP written again. Even if I can take my ATP SE (with an expired ATP written) and freeze my ATP ME that would be great! Please let me know what do you think? Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Bob

From my understanding, getting your SE ATP doesn't hold your place in line

A expired written isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Get the hours, or be happy as a CPL, or pay, or find someone who will pay, all the ground and sim stuff for new ATP reqs.

Last edited:
Back in my day, we needed 1500 hours, a first class medical, and a FAA log book examination just to take the written.... My, my... How things change.

Fellow Pilots,

I took my ATP written last year, (July 2014) and I am not sure if I will be able to acquire 1500TT by July 2016. (Two year mark) I have been doing some research and was told that I might be able to take the ATP check ride once I obtain 1500TT even if my ATP WRITTEN EXPIRES as long as I am working for part 135 operation by the time I take my ATP check ride and it’s up to the Check Ride Examiner ? It seems like this is a gray area because I didn’t find anything related to that on FAR/AIM.
I would not like to take the ATP written again. Even if I can take my ATP SE (with an expired ATP written) and freeze my ATP ME that would be great! Please let me know what do you think? Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Bob
It's not a gray area. It used to be in the regs that way, but as of last August (I believe) it's no longer the case. Same with getting your SE ATP...it's no longer a way to avoid retaking the written.

Of course, as James indicated, the next written will be expensive. It's probably cheaper to buy a 150 to build time quickly and then sell it to the next guy.

It's not a gray area. It used to be in the regs that way, but as of last August (I believe) it's no longer the case. Same with getting your SE ATP...it's no longer a way to avoid retaking the written.

Of course, as James indicated, the next written will be expensive. It's probably cheaper to buy a 150 to build time quickly and then sell it to the next guy.

:yeahthat: You've got over a year. Beg, borrow or steal the cheapest little airplane you can find and fly it at 50% power on 51 nm legs as much as you can!

If you're just lacking TT and not needing X/C, night or instrument time, lots of DZs are looking for pilots right now, average 90hrs a month at a decent DZ and end up logging some turbine time

If you're just lacking TT and not needing X/C, night or instrument time, lots of DZs are looking for pilots right now, average 90hrs a month at a decent DZ and end up logging some turbine time

Oh, yeah...make sure you understand exactly what's required to be included in that 1500 hours. I had a guy come for a Checkride who didn't.:(

A expired written isn't worth the paper its printed on.

If it's a post-july/31/14 ATP ME written it's as good as any other unexpired written as long as you're working for 135/121. Now there aren't any post-july/31/14 expired tests in existence yet so you're kinda right.

The new tests can be used after the expiration like you could before. The old tests cannot be used this way however.

Yeah, and at one point the written never expired if you were flying 135 or 121, right? I vaguely remember that. No clue if that's still true.

61.39(b)-An applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane type rating may take the practical test with an expired knowledge test only if the applicant passed the knowledge test after July 31, 2014, and is employed...

So that's out of the question given the date you said you took the test.

61.39(c)-An applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rating other than those ratings set forth in paragraph (b)(ATP ME or ATP w/ type rating) of this section may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant is employed:

(1) As a flightcrew member by a part 119 certificate holder conducting operations under parts 125 or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved pilot-in-command training or checking program; or

(2) By the U.S. Armed Forces as a flight crewmember in U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test and has completed the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the pilot certificate and rating sought.

What that reg means is that it has to be part of your company's PIC training/upgrade program. The fact that you happen to be flying for a Part 135 operator doesn't help if the ride isn't part of the company's PIC qual program.

bumpity bump bump.

So I took the old-rules ATP written in 5 June 2014, the reg says 24 month "period". Sweet cryptic Jesus. Does the damn thing expire on 5 June 2016 or 30 June 2016?

I agree. End of June 2016. I was at a 121 in 2008 with a 2006 ATP written that expired end of July 2008.
It expired while I was in initial training, I was on the property so it was still acceptable. No one ever questioned it. Unfortunately training was stopped!

I am going to take it all over with the new ATP-CTP course. Most of the regionals are hiring and willing to foot the bill.
As long as you are on the Property before it expires you should be golden. Otherwise you schedule your Practical before it expires. Get it done! Good Luck! How many hours do you need?

Last edited:
I agree. End of June 2016. I was at a 121 in 2008 with a 2006 ATP written that expired end of July 2008.
It expired while I was in initial training, I was on the property so it was still acceptable. No one ever questioned it. Unfortunately training was stopped!

I am going to take it all over with the new ATP-CTP course. Most of the regionals are hiring and willing to foot the bill.
As long as you are on the Property before it expires you should be golden. Otherwise you schedule your Practical before it expires. Get it done! Good Luck! How many hours do you need?

I just need to knock out the practical; I have the hours for it. Since I don't have family support (too far) to help with the toddler, and the wife is in school, I'm not going to be applying to the airlines until the she gets done with nursing school (circa 2018). But the stupid rule change forced me into getting this thing done early in order to avoid the whole CTP expense kabuki. An extra month gives me some options in case things get stupid at one of these part 61 ATP taco stand outfits and I have to go somewhere else. A buddy of mine just had that happen to him at one of the allATP locations (cough cough KGTU don't go there DPE is a nightmare, initials 'RS').

Good luck! I did my training with ATP KSUA, FL (comm/multi/Instr.) The Examiners were Examiners! They like to push your envelope to see what you got. They definitely make you work for it, but that is their job. You will be fine. They still have to follow the PTS.

Back