Atlanta-area pilots/owners -- Questions

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
We are considering relocating to the Atlanta area, and I'm trying to gather information and direction about the area (particularly suburbs). If you might be able to help, please PM me. I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,
JKG

What area will you be working in (assuming you aren't 'retiring' to the area)? Traffic can be a royal PITA depending on what area you are travelling through to/from work.

In general, the north side of Atlanta (think 400/I85 area) is considered 'nicer' than the south side, unless you get far enough south, then it gets more rural than the north side. I prefer the south side because I like the rural setting. Some prefer the north side due to more 'things to do' (Verizon Amphitheater, Gwinnette Center, couple of big malls, etc.).

It depends on what you're looking for as far as an area to live in.

I live in Cobb County which is on the north side. We like it and the school system is pretty good.

Lots of good areas, where will you be working? That is the $64.00 question, because you can easily have a 45 minute to an hour and a half commute time if you don't plan in advance. :mad2::mad2:

What area will you be working in (assuming you aren't 'retiring' to the area)? Traffic can be a royal PITA depending on what area you are travelling through to/from work.

In general, the north side of Atlanta (think 400/I85 area) is considered 'nicer' than the south side, unless you get far enough south, then it gets more rural than the north side. I prefer the south side because I like the rural setting. Some prefer the north side due to more 'things to do' (Verizon Amphitheater, Gwinnette Center, couple of big malls, etc.).

It depends on what you're looking for as far as an area to live in.

So I take it that I wouldn't want to retire there? :)

As to where I'll be working, that is a great question. I would likely remain in a sales/consulting role, which means that I could be working just about anywhere in the metro area on any given day. My car is my office when I'm not at my home office. Three companies I'm talking with are on the northern end of the city (from Buckhead up to Alpharetta), and one is to the south.

In our present location, we are more rural by choice. We do not, for example, have a Buckhead-type income, nor would we likely choose to live there even if we did. We try to avoid the "Yuppievilles" where most younger, working-professional families tend to congregate, but that avoidance does come at a cost with small kids. We currently live in a 10 year old neighborhood out in the country (and 2 miles from the airport where our plane is based) with all of the lots typically sized at 1 acre or above, if that gives a sense of how rural we're talking.

Some considerations:

-> home location with at least a little breathing room;
-> real estate/property/income taxes (have no familiarity with this in Georgia);
-> private/parochial schools (or strong public alternatives);
-> proximity to work location (though it won't likely be a daily drive);
-> airport location for our Cherokee (is getting this under cover somewhere even an affordable option?)

Those are just some of the things going through our minds. We haven't committed to pulling the trigger on this yet, so we're trying to educate ourselves before we decide whether to take the leap.

JKG

If you want to live in a smaller town environment, live close to an airport, but still be somewhat close to Atlanta you might consider the Canton, Gainesville, or Lawrenceville/Dacula areas. These would be a bit too far for daily commuting to downtown ATL, but are otherwise within a comfortable drive.

If you want to live in a smaller town environment, live close to an airport, but still be somewhat close to Atlanta you might consider the Canton, Gainesville, or Lawrenceville/Dacula areas. These would be a bit too far for daily commuting to downtown ATL, but are otherwise within a comfortable drive.

Another nice area to the south is the Newnan, Sharpsburg area, lots of open space, I think the schools are pretty good, if not good private schools nearby. I live in Douglasville on the western side of Atlanta, I honestly wouldn't recommend it to most people. We've been here our whole lives and my business in here, otherwise I'd probably move. :dunno:

I live in, Cobb County (which is NW of the city) and arguably has the best overall school system in the area (but you still need to choose your location carefully to avoid bad schools).

With the considerations you've listed, North Fulton County might be a good compromise for you.

The big challenge of moving to Atlanta will be finding a hangar. You might find something quickly in Gainsville if you're in N. Fulton, but otherwise, hangar space is pretty tough to find in the Atlanta area. In the NW corridor (up I-75), you probably have to go 50 miles to have a decent chance at a hangar anytime soon.that's 40 miles from the perimeter.

Fire away with your questions, there are plenty of folks here to answer them.

I'm on the east side in Covington. Airport is KCVC. This area as been great for me the 11 years I've lived here. Should this side of town be of interest, send a PM..

Yes, I forgot about the Covington airport. Small town, close to the interstate, nice little airport and reasonably close to Atlanta.

With what you mentioned, I'd steer you toward Cherokee County.

There's always Kennesaw with the Cobb County Airport near by.

Here's something to think about before committing to moving to Atlanta, Ga.

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, USA

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, who has ever lived in Atlanta, has visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who lives in Atlanta, knows anyone who has ever visited Atlanta or anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase,"When you see the Waffle House." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken."

Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, West Peachtree, Peachtree-Dunwoody, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree.

Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. And even then it's still "Coke."

Gate One at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch.

It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect, so that out-of-towners don't feel lost...they're just on a "scenic drive."

The 8:00am rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30am. The 5:00pm rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00am Saturday.

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

A native can only pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on").

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight saving time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over.
If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet
paper, and beer. If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee-shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts.

Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

Atlantans are very proud of our racetrack, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence it's name.

Actually, I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta and has a posted speed limit of 55mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over), is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500."

Georgia 400 is our equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA 400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full clip.

The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy, which starts at 120! . Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 range. All roads, vehicles, houses, etc. are yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies you will die.

But other than that, it's a great place to live!

There's always Kennesaw with the Cobb County Airport near by.

Here's something to think about before committing to moving to Atlanta, Ga.

Spot on. I grew up west of town and all of my family still live in the metro area. I headed west to Alabama at 18 and you could not drag me back to Atlanta.

Traffic is horrible in ATL! Can't stand driving there. Thankfully the only time I go through ATL area is flying and my "MEDEVAC" callsign takes care of any traffic issues. If you want to a place to retire you come up here to the mountains of northern GA. Realestate prices are still very low. No hangers that I know of up here. I got one but it took a years wait.

No doubt about that - traffic truly is horrible. Too many people crammed into the area. It doesn't affect me, but for people who have a strict 9-5 and have to drive to work, it can be brutal. The trick is to avoid driving between 6:30 and 9:00 am, and 4:00 and 6:30 pm.

If you're not going to have to fight traffic every day, you could probably check out stuff in the Buford/Brazelton area. It's a little farther out on I85, but it's not too bad of a drive for getting to the Buckhead to Alpharetta area. It's far enough out that you might be able to find the bigger house lot like you're talking about. You have Gainsville, Lawrenceville, and Winder airports in that area. Dad has a hangar at Lawrenceville, and I think he said there are a few options for hangars up there, but they can be pricey ($300+/month). Might find lower cost options at Winder - it's a smaller airport than Lawrenceville.

Back