Atlanta area hangar search/question

codeeno

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
codeeno
Hello all!

New member here and have a question to pose.

I may be moving to Atlanta or Dallas. I'm trying to research hangar space, cost and fuel costs.

Atlanta has high prices for 100LL 6.79 and Texas has 3.50 to 5.00 -ish. So that's pretty straight forward.

I'm searching though for a hangar for a single and it seems in ATL they are rare and expensive. 650 and up. I've spoken to Cobb County and Fulton County Brown. PDJ won't call back. Am I missing something or is there better option? I'm paying 300 in Colorado for a 40' t-hangar.

Thanks.

Dean

would cherokee county be too far north? I don't know about their hangar situation, but I've flown into there a time or two. There fuel is much cheaper and they don't charge a ramp fee for transients.

Hello all!

I may be moving to Atlanta or Dallas. I'm trying to research hangar space, cost and fuel costs.

Atlanta has high prices for 100LL 6.79 and Texas has 3.50 to 5.00 -ish. So that's pretty straight forward.

I'm searching though for a hangar for a single and it seems in ATL they are rare and expensive. 650 and up. I've spoken to Cobb County and Fulton County Brown. PDJ won't call back. Am I missing something or is there better option? I'm paying 300 in Colorado for a 40' t-hangar.

Thanks.

Dean

You didn't really say what part of town you would be moving to.

You're going to have to look far more suburban in Atlanta, probably exurban; its sprawling metro area means space in most GA airports closer to the city is tight and going to cater to the corporate stuff. Places like Monroe, Covington, Winder, Cherokee Co., Cartersville, etc. would be more in your price range. Check hangartrader.com to get an idea.

PDJ won't call back.

I assume you meant PDK. PDK's hangars are run by the County. I've been told there is a pretty long waitlist. You have to prepay $200 to be on the waitlist.

As far as pricing goes, the older t-hangars on the NW ramp are $375/M. The newer hangars on the west ramp run $450/M. Tie downs are $185/M.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what T-hangars run at LZU? My goal is to buy a plane in about a year and a half and I'm a bit curious.

A while back, I saw a posting for T hangars at Northwest Paulding airport for around $400. I don't know that they are still available, it was a few years ago.

There was someone who had posted they had space in a shared hangar at McCollum for $300 per month. I suspect it was an old posting, but let me see if I can dig it up.

Supposedly there is a self serve pump at PDK that is currently around $5 per gallon. FBOs at PDK, Fulton Co, and McCollum will be $1 - $2 more. Better prices can be had at Cherokee County or Northwest Paulding, but those may be a ways from your house.

If you're moving to Atlanta, choose you location on your drive to work, not your drive to the airport.

Hello all!

Thanks.

Dean

If LZU works for you, I may have a hangar lead for you.

Sounds like the general aviation version of gentrification. If that's what they call GA "thriving" in urban areas, I pass.

I assume you meant PDK. PDK's hangars are run by the County. I've been told there is a pretty long waitlist. You have to prepay $200 to be on the waitlist.

As far as pricing goes, the older t-hangars on the NW ramp are $375/M. The newer hangars on the west ramp run $450/M. Tie downs are $185/M.

That's too bad, I understand the restaurant at PDK is really pretty good...having a plane there is a reason to go more often.

...set....

That's too bad, I understand the restaurant at PDK is really pretty good...having a plane there is a reason to go more often.

...set....

I wouldn't go as far as pretty good, but it is ok.

Ryy pdk cni vpc all have long wait lists. Ryy is almost 500/mo. And they rape us on gas.

If you go to czl they have space available.

Good luck

Ryy pdk cni vpc all have long wait lists. Ryy is almost 500/mo. And they rape us on gas.

Good luck

I agree. The gas at my airport is $2/gal less. It's worth it to me to pay the facility fee rather than top off with their gas. If they're selling it at their prices, more power to 'em. :dunno:

Sounds like the general aviation version of gentrification. If that's what they call GA "thriving" in urban areas, I pass.

That's usually the way it works. There are a few people around here with a lot of money, and they can spend a lot on aviation. All the close in metro airports have a significant jet presence, and they do tend to drive prices up. Most good paying jobs are in the metro areas, but prices are higher as well. If you have a good paying gig in a lower cost of living area, consider yourself lucky, it's not the norm.

Good luck

CZL is closer to Chattanooga than it is to Atlanta.

Yep.
I think there may be space, or a shorter wait at JZP as well. Not quite as far.

I was surprised as far out as VPC and CNI are that they are full. With a 1-2yr wait being easy, maybe more. CNI is building some new t hangers so maybe it will loosen a tad and we can sneak out of RYY.

The gas at RYY was always high, but now with Hawthorne its reached rape level.

I only fuel there if I did a short local flight. Anything of distance means a fuel stop near home, VPC, CNI, Stockmar, for gas. Awesome way to add 30-45min to the flight home. But worth saving at least $2/gal. When you burn 12-13gph on a couple hour trip...it adds up fast.

Many of these airports have public facing waiting lists for hangars and a de-facto real way it happens which doesn't necessarily <edit> match the list. Show up with an airplane, buy gas, talk with the FBO MGR nicely, and you might be surprised. Also, many airports have an under the radar network of subleases where hangars trade hands but the FBO ignores the situation as long as the checks clear.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the airports have hangar space available if you have a plane to put in the hangar. Thing about a lot of 'lists' is a lot of people on them don't have a plane, they are dreamers who "will get a plane when they get a hangar to put it in." Typically even when a list hangar comes available it knocks 20 people back to the end or off the list, some places more. The whole hangar shortage from pre 2007 was no where near as prevalent in 2009. Most places you can negotiate your way into a short term or long term hangar by asking around the airport. Especially if you have a nice plane, people find room.

Many of these airports have public facing waiting lists for hangars and a de-facto real way it happens which doesn't necessarily Show up with an airplane, buy gas, talk with the FBO MGR nicely, and you might be surprised. Also, many airports have an under the radar network of subleases where hangars trade hands but the FBO ignores the situation as long as the checks clear.

Reminds me of the "Boat dock waiting lists". It's funny that that too was a 2 year list, but I motored in, talked to the marina manager, and got a seasonal 30' slip with shore power and water that day.

Yeah, all the airports have hangar space available if you have a plane to put in the hangar. Thing about a lot of 'lists' is a lot of people on them don't have a plane, they are dreamers who "will get a plane when they get a hangar to put it in." Typically even when a list hangar comes available it knocks 20 people back to the end or off the list, some places more. The whole hangar shortage from pre 2007 was no where near as prevalent in 2009. Most places you can negotiate your way into a short term or long term hangar by asking around the airport. Especially if you have a nice plane, people find room.

I'm based at VPC. There is allegedly a long hangar list, although the FBO won't publish it (which would add transparency to the process). They don't require a deposit to add your name on the hangar list, so everyone and his/her brother is on the list. A $200 refundable deposit would cut the list down to 10 people, and if a hangar came available, I'd guess only 50% of those 10 would be move-in ready.

The biggest problem we have are the sub-leases, which allow a bunch of the old timers (who are mostly friends of mine) to accumulate hangars under the radar and trade them back and forth in the good 'ol boy network. It makes them de facto power brokers on the airport. If the airport authority would address that issue (Show me the registration for the aircraft that are in your hangar - if you don't own at least one of the aircraft, you lose the hangar to the next guy on the list.), it would re-legitimize the process.

I'm based at VPC. There is allegedly a long hangar list, although the FBO won't publish it (which would add transparency to the process). They don't require a deposit to add your name on the hangar list, so everyone and his/her brother is on the list. A $200 refundable deposit would cut the list down to 10 people, and if a hangar came available, I'd guess only 50% of those 10 would be move-in ready.

The biggest problem we have are the sub-leases, which allow a bunch of the old timers (who are mostly friends of mine) to accumulate hangars under the radar and trade them back and forth in the good 'ol boy network. It makes them de facto power brokers on the airport. If the airport authority would address that issue (Show me the registration for the aircraft that are in your hangar - if you don't own at least one of the aircraft, you lose the hangar to the next guy on the list.), it would re-legitimize the process.

Yeah, but I can just rent from one of the old men without having to sign a lease...;)

Our leases are month to month, no deposit, so the lease isn't an obstacle.

Neither is renting from one of them really, unless they are abusive about it. I really haven't run into that. Usually if I'm going to get fleeced at an airport, it's through official channels.:lol:

Neither is renting from one of them really, unless they are abusive about it. I really haven't run into that. Usually if I'm going to get fleeced at an airport, it's through official channels.:lol:

If you're looking to get fleeced, PM me. Maybe I can help. ;-)

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate it.

I am looking to be somewhere 20 miles-ish from Midtown and from the airport. I work from home so I don't have to worry about a commute (well currently 14 steps into my basement with a hot cup of coffee - but that's not a huge worry). Reading the posts and looking at the map I don't think I can be in the 20 minute range of both and added to eat or fly. Lol.

This weekend I am going to drive out to FTY, RYY and LZU. Just to see what they are like.

Dean

I am looking to be somewhere 20 miles-ish from Midtown and from the airport. I work from home so I don't have to worry about a commute (well currently 14 steps into my basement with a hot cup of coffee - but that's not a huge worry). Reading the posts and looking at the map I don't think I can be in the 20 minute range of both and added to eat or fly. Lol.

This weekend I am going to drive out to FTY, RYY and LZU. Just to see what they are like.

Dean

Our monthly pancake breakfast is tomorrow (Saturday) at KLZU. We server beginning at 8:00am until 10:00 and have a program at 10:00am. Come on out tomorrow and introduce yourself and breakfast is on me. We're on Airport Road. If you come up 316 turn right on Hi Hope Road and then left on Airport Road and you will see the sign by the open gate.

If you're willing to mingle with us lowly south-siders, last time I heard, there were hangars available at CCO. I think they're running around $425. May be a few open at 4A7 as well. I think they are $325. FFC is pretty tight with a lot of 'I know a guy..' trading going on behind the scenes.

Composed by 1,000 monkeys pounding on 1,000 typewriters

and you'd be welcome to come check out KCVC Covington too. It's worked out as a great airport for me.

I am on the west side, it can be 20 minutes to midtown or an hour and a half, depending on traffic.;) I am not sure of the hangar situation, but Earl Small/Stockmar airport is in Villa Rica, a buddy just got a hangar there, fuel is cheap and it's a good hang out on weekends. :D I am based at FTY, Hill Aircraft, I think a single is $500 per month in the big hangar, fuel isn't cheap, but they have an ILS and GPS approaches with a tower. :D

Dean

I am on the west side, it can be 20 minutes to midtown or an hour and a half, depending on traffic.;) I am not sure of the hangar situation, but Earl Small/Stockmar airport is in Villa Rica, a buddy just got a hangar there, fuel is cheap and it's a good hang out on weekends. :D I am based at FTY, Hill Aircraft, I think a single is $500 per month in the big hangar, fuel isn't cheap, but they have an ILS and GPS approaches with a tower. :D

I've got a friend that put his 150 at stockmar also. Good prices and he really likes it! I wish I was on the west side too!

I've not given up on Dallas. I am in Atlanta for about another week trying to reconnoitering and get a feel.

I do know that either place my Commander will be happier with the altitude than Denver. Lol. We do fine but in Dallas she leaps off the runway and Denver. Welllll we have to take a running jump. Lol

Dean

JZP has plenty of space to build your own hanger, with a nice new paved taxiway leading to that space. You get a Land lease, (cheap enough) and build your hanger on your dime. You own it for IIRC 10 (mabe 15) years, then the county gets it, and you pay them rent based upon the local going rate per square foot for a commercial building. And they wonder why there have been no takers in the many years since they built the taxiway.

JZP has plenty of space to build your own hanger, with a nice new paved taxiway leading to that space. You get a Land lease, (cheap enough) and build your hanger on your dime. You own it for IIRC 10 (mabe 15) years, then the county gets it, and you pay them rent based upon the local going rate per square foot for a commercial building. And they wonder why there have been no takers in the many years since they built the taxiway.

That may or may not be fair depending on the numbers, but yeah, typically it's 30 or so years.

Back