Atlanta Air Show this weekend

Looks like the show ends right about kickoff time for Georgia Bulldogs vs Tennessee Volunteers!

I'm on the fence - good show, but on the other end of the world from where I live (Marietta). If anyone does go, remember:
1) MUST buy tickets online. You'll be turned away at a check point if you can't show you already have the ticket
2) Remember your folding chair - you'll be sitting on the tarmac.

Last edited:
Good show but they don’t let planes fly in anymore. Used to be a great opportunity for the FBO to make money on 100LL. Guess it was too much of a hassle shuttling people back and forth from parking to show line.
2BF68A21-14E7-484C-8DBE-A256D0377A91.jpeg

You’d think they’d have a shuttle running to a close by airport outside of the TFR. Flying to peach state would be a blast.

Atlanta airspace is not the friendliest I’ve encountered.

Atlanta airspace is not the friendliest I’ve encountered.

The airspace itself is a lot of bravo shelves to keep track of and there can be lots of traffic.

If traveling through best to file IFR or at least get FF. If you file ifr you’ll find they can be a little tense at times, mostly nice and helpful, and usually aren’t breathing fire. :)

I’ve not found any issues with taking a straight line through bravo flying North/South over Hartsfield.

Last edited:
Passed #7 on the way back from lunch in Macon this afternoon.

ATC: “One Tango Alpha, traffic 11 o’clock, opposite direction, single F-18, 400 feet above, doing 270 knots”

IMG_7836.jpg

You’d think they’d have a shuttle running to a close by airport outside of the TFR. Flying to peach state would be a blast.

Pilots are not their target demographic. There just aren't enough of us. Their target is Ma and Pa Kettle who will take little Johnny to see airplanes.

Hearing the big boys flying nearly overhead this morning. Assuming either practice runs or media flights.

I'm about 8 miles west of FFC.

Why I wonder do I see the Blue Angels everywhere but haven’t seen the Air Force Thunder Birds?

Well both teams don’t get around as much as they used to. After the budget problems in 2014-15, they cut around half a dozen sites from their schedules. They used to do around 38 shows a year, today it’s around 32.

Few pics from past shows. Only bad thing about FFC is the sun position for photos. It’s always backlit.

0F0DAA34-6ED4-4919-BB08-992C0231395C.jpeg 513E3F67-3603-4767-8A4B-B8E4EAD39DCF.jpeg B7436785-3742-4D44-BC9E-6477CB813D80.jpeg 46BDE6FD-EB0E-4F3C-9715-9A576D8400E0.jpeg CEDDD859-D270-4BD1-BFA8-2278ECC9D30D.jpeg

Last edited:
My next door neighbor went today. Looking like a low show.

25B1D385-DFD8-4855-B9DE-B0A46CD7564C.jpeg

The Blues came right over the top of my parents' house stacked up in their tight 6-ship for what I would assume was their wrap-up head-on toward the crowd photo-op pass yesterday afternoon. Saw Fat Albert climbing out around 6pm. Don't think it ever cleared up quite enough for them to do their full 'high' routine. Dad said he saw them practicing starburst, etc. on Friday, but never saw it on Sat or Sun - it was just a single ship vertical climb.

Pretty sure both days were sold out, so I guess they'll raise the $35/person General Admission price even higher next year.

Back