skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Actually heard yesterday:

"I am Green Bay Ground. And I approve this ATIS."

:goofy:

Best political / aviation humor of the year!

Actually, it was "Advise on initial contact that you have information Delta, I'm Green Bay Ground Control and I approved this ATIS."

When I flew out of KHIO (Hillsboro, OR), on nice days, you would sometimes hear the following:

"Advise on initial contact you have received and enjoyed information bravo".

Wonder if it was Steve McNicoll from the red board...he is a Green Bay controller.

Bob Gardner

No kidding! That is really cool! I'm sure his boss has already reamed him. Seems like anything fun in aviation is illegal, so it stands to reason if its funny on ATIS it's against regs.

Last edited:
The only funny ATIS I've heard is probably an old one: On a absolutely perfect
late afternoon the ATIS ended with "Advise you have information Echo Echo Echo..."

Landing SAF once, got the following:

"Landing and departing runway 20. Runway 20 is the brown runway, not the black runways. Please do not land on a runway if it is black, as we are using runway 20. If you need help locating runway 20, ask tower or look for the brown runway."

Last edited:
That GB ATIS would have been even better if it had been the computerized voice.

That GB ATIS would have been even better if it had been the computerized voice.

During the World Series last year, BOS tower had "Go Red Sox" at the end of their ATIS. The computer voice got a little confused every now and then. "Taxiway november closed. Go red. Socks. Advise you have information Bravo."

"...advise on initial contact you have information Santa."

Back around when the demotion of Pluto was in the news, JFK's ATIS (in the computer voice) had the addition of "Pluto, planet or not? You decide."

A few I recall:
"...visibility, unlimited I can see Tennessee..."
"...visibility none..."
"...temperature a balmy 3 degrees..."
"...Caution visual illusion on final to 35R. Look close before landing. That 35R is actually the grass. Land on the other 35R to the right of that one because it has pavement under the snow."
"...advise you have information gobble..."
"...advise you have information boo..."

Advise you have information pumpkin.
Advise you have information watermelon.

I haven't heard any funny ATIS lately around these parts. When it's slow the tower controllers get pretty funny.

Baron 44P: Wiley Post tower, Baron 44P fixin' to take off
Tower: 44P, you're clearly from Oklahoma cause you said "fixin to"! You're cleared for take off...have a good flight.

At Lincoln, NE (KLNK) I have a buddy in the tower. I was flying my TL Sting (carbon fiber UL) and wanted him to take a look. He said; "Sting XYZ cleared to land 17R." (17R is a large runway 13,000+ feet long, and 17L is 6,000') I asked the tower to confirm 17R. My buddy comes back and says; "Sting XYZ Affirmative 17R Clear to land, we have seen your landings before". :dunno:

Last edited:
Tower: "Archer xxxxx, you are #2 to land following the Goodyear Blimp on Runway 12."

Me (to myself): "Oh **** me."
Me (to tower): "Roger, #2 to land following the Goodyear Blimp. I'm going to do some circling out here for a bit."

Tower: "Approved."

5 minutes later, still circling.

Tower: "Archer xxxxx, do you want to come around and land on 27?"

Me: "That'd be great."

Tower: "Cleared to land runway 27."

Great ATIS call. Now if our guys would turn off the notice of tower hours on the phone version during the day... :D

Back