ATC: You WILL land here...

A clearance is also required to operate SVFR under better than VMC conditions.

You are correct. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

When I coordinate the transition of Class D airspace with the tower I say nothing at all to the pilot. If the pilot asks if he's "cleared" through the Class D airspace I say "affirmative" because that's just easier than the detailed explanation.

Not everyone you work with handles it the same way....apparently. As I said before I have never had a controller tell me in 13 years of commercial and pleasure flying that I was cleared into the Delta airspace. But apparently some people have heard it a bunch in just four years of pleasure flying.

But thats why I spend time on this site. Everyones experience is valuable and unique.

MSP can be weird about that. I was once under a Bravo clearance getting vectors from MSP Approach. They vectored me directly into the KMIC Class D airspace - they then proceeded to chew my ass for having not contacted tower on my other radio or having not warned them that they were vectoring me into the class D.

Well all I can say is those guys should know better. First, 2-1-16 is a controller responsibility. It's not a should. They are required. Contacted my bro at ABI approach and he said yep, they're required to coordinate with any Class D and also their own C if an aircraft will penetrate the core. Steven already said as well that it's a requirement at GRB. Second problem with your particular situation is there is no requirement to have dual comms. If you have one radio there's no way you can contact the tower if he has you tied up on his freq. That's why he's required to get your transition. If he can't then he's required to switch you to tower prior to entering. Final thing is if you didn't even plan on penetrating a Class D but his vector took you there, that's his bust, not yours. Sounds like this guy was going down the tubes and he took out his aggression on you.

Well all I can say is those guys should know better. First, 2-1-16 is a controller responsibility. It's not a should. They are required. Contacted my bro at ABI approach and he said yep, they're required to coordinate with any Class D and also their own C if an aircraft will penetrate the core. Steven already said as well that it's a requirement at GRB. Second problem with your particular situation is there is no requirement to have dual comms. If you have one radio there's no way you can contact the tower if he has you tied up on his freq. That's why he's required to get your transition. If he can't then he's required to switch you to tower prior to entering. Final thing is if you didn't even plan on penetrating a Class D but his vector took you there, that's his bust, not yours. Sounds like this guy was going down the tubes and he took out his aggression on you.
Oh I knew it was his mistake and didn't give a crap about him chewing my ass and went on with life. Just was adding another "point" that causes people to think one of thing or another and that is because not all controllers follow the rules either.

Back