ATC recording truncated

dfw11411

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dfw11411
Today my daughter and her family were flying commercial and on final when the pilot aborted and performed a go around. The captain announced a near miss with a small aircraft. I can see the track on FlightAware and thus determine the exact time of the incident. All of the recordings of the various frequencies are available in 30 minute segments, but the Tower frequency recording abruptly ends moments before the time of the incident. I'm curious if they removed that part of the recording. Is this SOP? Anyone know?

Recordings where? If you are asking about LiveATC, it has nothing to do with any FAA facility or policy. Private parties do the recordings.

Pilot of small plane files a quick ASRS report and it all goes under the carpet ... :dunno:

ATC will “mark the tapes” for an incident like this but it has nothing to do with some private party recording. Whether it be digital or old school tape recording, there’s no stoppage in recording for incident / accidents. They mark it, OA guy pulls the tapes at a later time then reviews it and makes a copy for the report.

OK, thanks for clarifying. Just thought it odd that it ended when it did.

Did you request the audio from ATC or were you listening on LiveATC?

It was LiveATC. I mistakenly thought they received a live feed directly from ATC.

Since I cannot listen to what happened... I can watch the track of the commercial flight they were on, but don't know how to see the other aircraft. Is there a way to see an archive of all flights at that airport using FlightAware or other source? From what I can see I can see a current live view of all traffic in an area, but I can't "go back in time". Just curious if anyone knows if this can be done.

Back