ATC instructions

SPAJC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Greetings all!

So, heres my story and subsequent questions:

Yesterday, I was out buzzing around and burning up some unusually cheap fuel. I flew from KSPA to 35A, landed to make a phone call, then after finding out that my plans had changed...not picking up dad for a fly-in lunch, I decided to go direct to KGMU at 3500ft, which would take me through KGSP class C airspace.

I made the appropriate radio calls 20nm out, got my sqwuak code and was told that I would be vectored around the north side of GSP for traffic. I received several vectors, then was asked if I had GSP in sight, to which I replied that I did. The controller then told me to pass north and east of runway 22. I was southeast of the field. But, I took this to mean that I should pass well clear of the numbers to the east, then turn westbound direct to GMU while keeping well north of the field. I also took this to mean that in following the instructions as I should, that the controller would not be vectoring me for traffic unless the need arose.

So I do as I just described. I was about 3 miles east of the numbers and the controller asked what my heading was. I answered 345. He then said to turn left to 280, which I did. This passed me just about right over the numbers of 22. When I was about a mile north of the field, he released me to own nav, alt my discretion and advise GMU in sight. I already had GMU in sight, so he released me to contact GMU tower. The rest was pretty uneventful, though there was a sudden gust on very short final that made for my worst landing yet...that was kinda embarrassing. I was actually kinda surprised that the tower guys didnt make fun of me...they do that sometimes.

When I departed the GMU tower asked if I wanted asvisories or to transition back into the Greer class C, and I declined. They instructed to remain clear of class C and D airspace amd cleared me for departure. All else was uneventful other than some really good bumps in the wind.

So my questions are these:

1. When the Greer approach controller vectored me closer to the field, was that because I had done something that he didnt expect or incorrectly? Maybe he wanted me closer so as not to have a altitude conflict with areiving traffic? Either way, he wasnt upset and didnt tell me that I had made a mistake. Am I thinking inti it too much? In hindsight, I figure that I should have clarified when he gave the instruction to pass north then east of the field.

2. GMU is its own class D and on the southern side almost ajoins the GYH class D. I was on a southbound departure so to remain clear of the class C and D, I had to remain below 2200ft to stay out of the C, and make a turn to the southeast soon after takeoff to be clear of the GYH class D. The GMU tower guys are pretty quick to yell at you if you screw up, which didnt happen. So I figure that I took the appropriate action. Any thoughts on this? Good procedure or would you have done something different? Given the airpace layout, I dont see how anything else could have been done. It would have had to be a turn to either the east or west to clear the GYH class D.

I'm more concerned with the Greer Approach controllers imstructions though. Thoughts on both greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings all!

So, heres my story and subsequent questions:

Yesterday, I was out buzzing around and burning up some unusually cheap fuel. I flew from KSPA to 35A, landed to make a phone call, then after finding out that my plans had changed...not picking up dad for a fly-in lunch, I decided to go direct to KGMU at 3500ft, which would take me through KGSP class C airspace.

I made the appropriate radio calls 20nm out, got my sqwuak code and was told that I would be vectored around the north side of GSP for traffic. I received several vectors, then was asked if I had GSP in sight, to which I replied that I did. The controller then told me to pass north and east of runway 22. I was southeast of the field. But, I took this to mean that I should pass well clear of the numbers to the east, then turn westbound direct to GMU while keeping well north of the field. I also took this to mean that in following the instructions as I should, that the controller would not be vectoring me for traffic unless the need arose.

So I do as I just described. I was about 3 miles east of the numbers and the controller asked what my heading was. I answered 345. He then said to turn left to 280, which I did. This passed me just about right over the numbers of 22. When I was about a mile north of the field, he released me to own nav, alt my discretion and advise GMU in sight. I already had GMU in sight, so he released me to contact GMU tower. The rest was pretty uneventful, though there was a sudden gust on very short final that made for my worst landing yet...that was kinda embarrassing. I was actually kinda surprised that the tower guys didnt make fun of me...they do that sometimes.

When I departed the GMU tower asked if I wanted asvisories or to transition back into the Greer class C, and I declined. They instructed to remain clear of class C and D airspace amd cleared me for departure. All else was uneventful other than some really good bumps in the wind.

So my questions are these:

1. When the Greer approach controller vectored me closer to the field, was that because I had done something that he didnt expect or incorrectly? Maybe he wanted me closer so as not to have a altitude conflict with areiving traffic? Either way, he wasnt upset and didnt tell me that I had made a mistake. Am I thinking inti it too much? In hindsight, I figure that I should have clarified when he gave the instruction to pass north then east of the field.

2. GMU is its own class D and on the southern side almost ajoins the GYH class D. I was on a southbound departure so to remain clear of the class C and D, I had to remain below 2200ft to stay out of the C, and make a turn to the southeast soon after takeoff to be clear of the GYH class D. The GMU tower guys are pretty quick to yell at you if you screw up, which didnt happen. So I figure that I took the appropriate action. Any thoughts on this? Good procedure or would you have done something different? Given the airpace layout, I dont see how anything else could have been done. It would have had to be a turn to either the east or west to clear the GYH class D.

I'm more concerned with the Greer Approach controllers imstructions though. Thoughts on both greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answer to #1, you did fine. I have been instructed to stay far around IAH in Houston, and then suddenly been vectored on a close downwind of an active runway around the airport. You are probably better clear of their traffic, at altitude close in. They will tell you.

On question 1; it is my observation that each controller may have unique ways to resolve a potential conflict and that may involve a nonstandard approach requiring vectors.
I am happy to comply and don’t need to understand the big picture. In my experience if I call the tower they will explain their thinking.
On question 2; I may be misunderstanding your question so pleased forgive me if my answer doesn’t make sense. If I am going to make a turn while still inside the class D airspace I let the tower know as part of my request for departure. I try to avoid surprises for ATC.

I agree with the others. No big deal and nothing wrong. Just vectoring for traffic. Sounds like ATC was expecting you to come in closer and when you didn't simply vectored you there.

[Situational awareness thought 1]
Keep in mind that crossing east to west "well north" of 22 places you in the path of arriving/departing aircraft. Passing over the numbers of 22 (assuming that was the runway in use) places you well above arriving aircraft, which are ready to touch down. Consider the no-ATC-communication VFR corridor in LA - right over the runways because that's where there is no conflicting air traffic. Same principle.

[Situational awareness thought 2]
You are in a pretty unique airspace configuration. KGMU, KGYH and KGSP all within a very small distance of each other. Even without familiarity it's easy to see the potential for conflict and a good idea to accept radar advisories when operating around there.

I agree with Mark. Use flight following, no matter how short the trip. The controller has responsibility to coordinate your passage through the various classes of airspace without you having to say a word.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

Thanks for the input all! Definitely will use FF next time. I thought about that after the fact also, one of those, I shoulda got FF deals. Everything went well, but just in case, in that area, FF would be a great help. I have your book, Bob, and am reading it now...great book! Very informative!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back