ATC asks, "Do you have 2 transponders on board?" Transponder Q

MGS402

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MGS402
I recently purchased a different Cessna, and this one is equipped w/ a Narco AT-165 transponder w/ the Uavionix Tailbeacon installed. On two recent flights, after contacting ATC for VFR flight following ATC has asked me if I have 2 transponders on board the aircraft? They stated that I was reporting two different altitudes (one at actual altitude and the other 1500 ft below). In both cases they have asked me to re-cycle the transponder. Curious if anyone knows why this may be happening, or if anyone has experienced similar situation. I've read the Narco AT-165 isn't that great, but am hoping I won't have to replace the transponder already.

This happened to a friend of mine who had just been certified by the uavionix dealer.

what’s the value of a used tail beacon? Seems like the garmin was twice the price

Yep, prob headed down the road of dumping the tail beacon. On my previous Cessna had the Skybeacon removed as well for Garmin. Some people have good luck with the beacons, for myself, I have had nothing but problems with those products.

I have a Narco AT-150 and a tailBeacon working perfectly in my Piper Warrior (PA-28-161). Was the firmware update applied to your tailBeacon? uAvionix has always been quite responsive and helpful to inquiries. Could your Cessna actually have two transponders? Something hidden in the empennage?

I would suspect the encoder. If it is periodically dropping a bit in the Gray Code you can get a large apparent altitude change between radar queries. I had an encoder fail during an trip and it was periodically reporting an altitude about 3000 feet lower than actual PA. I had to complete the trip with mode C disabled. Subsequent troubleshooting revealed a bad encoder. My ancient AT-50A transponder then was working just fine.

I HAD a Narco 150 and a tailbeacon. I got a letter from the FAA in June, tried to do some troubleshooting and get it working, then got an email from the FAA with a specific person I am supposed to call to verify that I have fixed it.
I had a bad transponder, new one will go in this week. Maybe that fixes it, but I won't know. Will I get another threatening email if it doesn't? But, I am very unhappy with the FAA, I was working on it and they basically send a threatening email. I don't respond well to that. Makes me want to throw it all in the trash and go without. Probably not their desire, but their attitude doesn't tend to inspire someone to spend money and time to comply!

More than likely the transponder is generating one value for pressure altitude and the Tailbeacion another. By regulation 91.217(b), they must use the same source. You should be able to figure out which is providing false information.

I am not sure tailBeacon adds its own altitude data to the transponder data.

It has been several months now, and my tail beacon still doesn't work. While the customer service people have been helpful, they are some times contradictory to each other. I have replaced my transponder and had pitot static check done, that didn't fix it. Replaced the 68 year old breaker, that didn't fix it. Drilled a NEW hole in the 68 year old airplane to run a ground directly to the airframe instead of the tailcone, as suggested, that didn't fix it. Messed with threshold settings, that didn't fix it. Was told I should submit a ticket and ask for an RMA. Turns out that person is a person who could have submitted the ticket! Tried to submit a ticket from my phone, no luck. Tried to submit a ticket from my laptop, no luck. Called the 800 number and tried every possible extension until someone answered the phone, I had already left a message for every customer service person. At this point I wish had put in an ads-b transponder when I did the panel upgrade. Now, I am down to the wire on the extended amount of time I got the FAA to give me to fix this problem. Uavionix will not send me a new unit until AFTER I have sent them the old one. I need it installed, with 3 no failure flights by a week from 4 hours ago, or I will be added to the non-service list and not be allowed in rule airspace.
I'm not holding my breath that I will get the new unit in time. I asked how I get my $2000 back if I don't have a new unit in time? I'm guessing they don't like to take trash back in trade for cash!!!

I got the new tailbeacon. Flew today for the first time since its install.
I flew like normal, in canyons, steep turns, close to the ground, and then over to a towered airport. Upon landing tower informed me that they never had any signal from me, transponder or ads-b. Then after take off they inform me that now they are picking up my transponder. Then over to Aspen approach, they are picking up my transponder but apparently no ads-b, just a vfr target.
First flight, round about trip to KEGE from KGWS, flight ID 3.52% failure. Mode 3A 98.83% failure, flight ID 100% failure.
I'm so over this BS!

You need to go to an avionics shop. My guess is that in spite of changing your transponder, it still has issues. The tailBeacon detects the transponder, but if it is bad, then the ADS-B is also going to have issues. Regardless if it is your transponder, encoder, or tailBeacon, or all of the above, it can be easily sorted out by an avionics shop.

It was just AT the avionics shop. NEW transponder, NEW tail beacon, IFR pitot static check.
Easily sorted out? As part of the pitot static check, they updated the 430 nav data. The data expired before I got the bill, a bill that included $200 for the update. I'll pass on paying them to do much else. $900 pitot static check!

It was just AT the avionics shop. NEW transponder, NEW tail beacon, IFR pitot static check.
Easily sorted out? As part of the pitot static check, they updated the 430 nav data. The data expired before I got the bill, a bill that included $200 for the update. I'll pass on paying them to do much else. $900 pitot static check!
Sounds like you already paid for something they haven’t finished

At this point - sounds like it would just be cheaper in the long haul to dump the beacon and put in a modern ADSB transponder and be done with it. Sell whatever parts are taken out to recoup some money.

I do not want an ADS-B transponder. They are heavier, and installed a Garmin 345 cost 5 times what a beacon costs. I also want to be able to remove ADS-B should I decide I no longer need it.
It appears I have got it working now. Where I fly in the mountains, ADS-B coverage is pretty poor, that is where some of my failures were coming from. For example, there is no ADS-B coverage below 3000 agl at KEGE, where I used to base out of and where I still go for fuel now and then.

Back