ATC and Tower Too busy to conduct training due to staffing issues

CaptainRobertRiter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
CaptRobertRiter
Hey Guys, here on the West Coast many towers are denying touch and go’s, and ATC is denying practice approaches due to staffing problems. This is now a regular problem here. Is this going on where you are? Many flight schools are being put out of business, and students are not able to train here. Let me know if this concerns you?

Which towers are not allowing touch and go's? Which ATC facilities are denying practice approaches? Which flight schools have gone out of business as a result of this? Why did you tag this thread "accelerated ifr training"?

Which towers are not allowing touch and go's? Which ATC facilities are denying practice approaches? Which flight schools have gone out of business as a result of this? Why did you tag this thread "accelerated ifr training"?
SQL was denying pattern work at times, due to short-staffing, but they are fully staffed now, so that problem has gone away. I was denied a practice approach once to PAO (I think) due to heavy pattern traffic, but Norcal Approach said they could clear me if I could accept an IFR clearance (which I could).

"Remain clear of the Delta, the pattern is full" is a common call in Florida. Nothing to do with staffing and everything to do with too many school planes. ATC staffing is an issue everywhere, not sure what posting on POA is going to do about it.

Let me know if this concerns you?
I'm not concerned. It is a lag phase in a recovery process, and it may slow training down for a while, but there are still plenty of non-towered fields to use in the meantime.

I know FFZ tower closes earlier some days due to staffing issues

"Remain clear of the Delta, the pattern is full" is a common call in Florida. Nothing to do with staffing and everything to do with too many school planes. ATC staffing is an issue everywhere, not sure what posting on POA is going to do about it.
Exactly. The flight training business is booming in Florida. Some schools are sending dozens of flights up every day and until well past midnight. If a flight school is struggling these days, they don’t know how to bring in business or their pay sucks so bad that not even desperate 300 hour wonders won’t work there.

It is KLGB tower and SOCAL Approach that I have been hearing this over and over again for the last year. I marked advanced IFR training as much of the time in the SOCAL areas they will not allow practice approaches. If anyone is also in these areas please join in the conversation.

Why not just fly to an uncontrolled field and practice there?
Here in the Los Angeles/Inland Empire area there are not too many uncontrolled airports. Many pilots are doing this which just adds to the cost of getting a license here in California.

Not the case of too many in the pattern here in Socal area. They have just stopped pilots from training.

It is KLGB tower and SOCAL Approach that I have been hearing this over and over again for the last year. I marked advanced IFR training as much of the time in the SOCAL areas they will not allow practice approaches. If anyone is also in these areas please join in the conversation.
KLGB Tower and at least some SoCal sectors have a LiveATC.net feed. Can you give some examples of recent time stamps when they refused touch-and-go and practice approach clearances that were requested on the air?

KLGB Tower and at least some SoCal sectors have a LiveATC.net feed. Can you give some examples of recent time stamps when they refused touch-and-go and practice approach clearances that were requested on the air?
I am not that computer savvy, sorry! How about we ask our members in the Socal area, and at the flight schools at KLGB? I know when I go up to do my IFR currency flights I am frequently denied approaches, and there does not seem to be much traffic. It does not matter if I am in the KRAL areas or in the KTOA areas. KTOA and KHHR towers are swamped and doing a great job. So our new pilots are training there. I am hoping this is just an isolated problem here, but if not that we start looking into it for more information. From having a flight school myself I can see the aircraft sitting at ATP and Long Beach Flyers just sitting on good flying days. With the fixed costs so high, especially the insurance and maintenance costs, it does not take much to close a flight school down. I will get back to you with some specific times that this happens.

I am posting here about this issue to find out if this is a national problem, or just one to the SOCAL area. That’s all.

Oh that one's easy. AUS soooooooox. When they're not putting freighters on top of cattle wagons on cat III days, they're playa-hatin' on us friendly neighborhood red-blooded Cat E mafia. Artisan coffee sippin' overpriced real estate payin' hacks can't vector worth a damn, then get lippy on the radio when they lose the bubble in public. Now ask me how I really feel... :rofl:

KCFO does not allow T&G or practice approaches for 3 hours, 1 Saturday morning a month during Young Eagle rallys. I keep telling the 2 or 3 schools at the airport they are missing a captive audience during the rally because the kids (and parents) are in the classroom waiting for the ride. Come talk about flight training, get customers.

Of course during a rally, the airport gets 60-80 operations that morning...airport is happy.

I don't doubt it. For whatever reason the next generation of ATC's appear to be unable or unwilling to provide the same level of service and competency that the previous generation provided. I don't contact the local approach or tower in the area unless I absolutely have to...

KVGT and KHND had similar "staffing issues". (Las Vegas NV valley). VGT is an FAA Training Tower. They curtailed T&G operations following a couple of accidents and also cited staffing issues. I no longer live in the Las Vegas area so I do not know the current situation. I know at least one flight school operator left VGT and returned to Needles CA.

KHND is a "contract tower" and had staffing issues.

T&G operations are also curtailed during major events in this "destination city", concerts, sports, etc. that increase the in/out traffic flow. PPR needed.

Burlington, Vermont, (BTV) is a tower within a Class C airspace and geographically is so close to Canada that volumes are "geographically" low, which made it a likely ATC training center. Now Beta Technologies (electric airplane development) has added a fleet of training planes for their employees that the volume of traffic has risen considerably. I have yet to be denied service, but as part of their training I've been put on needless vectors to nowhere and giggled to myself how silly that was. But we do need more ATC employees, and pilots should be aware that they need to assist in their training. It also gets slow enough that controllers will still recognize my call sign and say hi.

In the winter it's a good time to practice "unable" when I get a vector over frigid Lake Champlain . . . :)

Here in the Los Angeles/Inland Empire area there are not too many uncontrolled airports. Many pilots are doing this which just adds to the cost of getting a license here in California.
I'm having trouble getting worked up about the cost of doing anything in California.

KVGT and KHND had similar "staffing issues". (Las Vegas NV valley). VGT is an FAA Training Tower. They curtailed T&G operations following a couple of accidents and also cited staffing issues. I no longer live in the Las Vegas area so I do not know the current situation. I know at least one flight school operator left VGT and returned to Needles CA.

KHND is a "contract tower" and had staffing issues.

T&G operations are also curtailed during major events in this "destination city", concerts, sports, etc. that increase the in/out traffic flow. PPR needed.
Per controllers on this and other forums, all towers are training towers.

It happens here @ KJYO sometimes, but not often. When it does, it's clearly too busy. On my last flight the controller was doing an amazing job talking to 12 planes...without radar.

San Luis Obispo (KSBP) has had some staffing issues and does not allow Touch and Goes and opposite direction instrument approaches sometimes. There have also been time where the tower had short hours.
Santa Maria (KSMX) limits pattern work when there is a fire.
I have not found this to be a problem as a flight instructor.
In my experience flying somewhere is good for developing pilots.

Per controllers on this and other forums, all towers are training towers.
And I didn't realize until recently that they pretty much always work at one geographical tower once they are hired.

Tampa ,Sarasota airspace is saturated at different times of the day. Preventing practice approaches and touch and go at times. You have the option to go to an uncontrolled airport just outside the class C ,you may have to be patient to get back into the area. If you’re flying a 150 you learn to keep the tanks full.

Why not just fly to an uncontrolled field and practice there?
It is the opposite problem here. We teach at an uncontrolled field, and as part of the training, our students have to learn Class D operations. But other than one towered airport nine miles away, we'd have to fly a long way to find another Class D airport. The nearby one has started to limit our pattern work, and it's quite frustrating at times.

Students who learn at uncontrolled airports are often apprehensive about talking to ATC. When the tower controller tells them to exit the Class D, they are even more confused and apprehensive.

It is the opposite problem here. We teach at an uncontrolled field, and as part of the training, our students have to learn Class D operations. But other than one towered airport nine miles away, we'd have to fly a long way to find another Class D airport. The nearby one has started to limit our pattern work, and it's quite frustrating at times.

Students who learn at uncontrolled airports are often apprehensive about talking to ATC. When the tower controller tells them to exit the Class D, they are even more confused and apprehensive.
I interned in Congress earlier this year, and learned all about our industry's shortcomings. We all have a role to play in promoting aviation and educating Congress, or these types of concerns will only worsen.

I’m based at FFZ. I’ll be the first to say we have TOO MUCH pattern work here. Multiple flight schools operate here. 90%+ of the traffic is training.

The pattern is so full, I had to hold short for literally 15 minutes the other day (I was #1 at the hold line).

Also, locals complain about the noise. Why don’t these flight schools tell their students to just fly 10 mins away and do this at an uncontrolled field?

FFZ is just crazy these days, even @ weekends, the daily flights are the heaviest usually 20 mins to the hour

Hey Guys, here on the West Coast many towers are denying touch and go’s, and ATC is denying practice approaches due to staffing problems. This is now a regular problem here. Is this going on where you are? Many flight schools are being put out of business, and students are not able to train here. Let me know if this concerns you?

Looks like you were too busy to conduct training because of staffing issues.

"During his initial flight training, the accident pilot logged about 53 hours in the King Air C90GTi airplane. However, this flight time was primarily logged as dual instruction while he was still a student pilot. The flights were operated for the fruit company and included extended cross-country commercial Part 91 operations conducted with passengers in the cabin. Thus, it is unlikely that the accident pilot received any meaningful training."

I’ll add that while it might not sound busy on frequency, all it takes is a couple IFR inbounds and I’m gonna tell you unable practice approaches. Now, if there are gaps, or it’s just a couple arrivals and then I can fit you in, sure, I’ll tell you to expect some delays but we will make it happen. But I can’t/wont delay an IFR arrival for a VFR practice approach.

Oh that one's easy. AUS soooooooox. When they're not putting freighters on top of cattle wagons on cat III days, they're playa-hatin' on us friendly neighborhood red-blooded Cat E mafia. Artisan coffee sippin' overpriced real estate payin' hacks can't vector worth a damn, then get lippy on the radio when they lose the bubble in public. Now ask me how I really feel... :rofl:
My brother was just telling me tonight they lost a lot of their AF traffic at ABI because controllers denying practice approaches. Used to get a lot of transient T-1s, T-6s and T-38s. They all found somewhere else to go.

It’s not lack of staffing either. They were fully staffed when he worked there. Just new controllers who couldn't handle the workload so they denied approaches. He was more than ready to retire when he hit eligibility.

Last edited:
Back