ATC and ADSB

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by WannFly, Jan 3, 2021.

1. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    I posted this question sometime back and the general answer I got is, sometimes ATC sighs in to find the ADSB information, if the plane is on 1200.

Has that changed? See my experience below.

Went to KPIR, winds were favoring 25, so I made the long taxi to 25. Crappy taxi layout.

Just on the take off roll a citation announced 7 miles final for 31. I told him I will extend my upwind, then do a right crosswind departure to NE. As he announced his 4 mile final, another aircraft called and said they are taking off, didn’t announce the aircraft type. The citation on final was little unhappy from the sound of his “no delay” transmission. Anyway, I was on my merry way and tuned to MSP center and said “ MSP center, NxxxxK off Pierre VFR request” , got a reply “ N21K a citation just took off rny 31 and heading your way”

I was squacking 1200, I am glad he called it out, since he didn’t have me in sight, was at my 6 and I had no clue that it was a citation. ADSB finally showed him 1 mile behind me. I turned 30 degrees left to get out of his way. All good, well the citation driver could have announced his aircraft type and intentions while taxing instead of when he did, during the take off roll, but o well.

The question is, was the controller looking at KPIR for whatever reason and found what’s going on? May be he gave a release to the citation that was talking off?

What’s the SOP for controllers these days regarding ADSB targets?

2. Wrench978

Wrench978 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wrench978
    one of the citations was VFR. or the controller screwed up. but either way, the controller would have been paying a little bit of attention to the airport because he either Cleared and switched the first citation, or he just released the second one and was waiting for him to tag up. he probably thought your target was the departure and was surprised when you werent. regardless, both citations, in VFR conditions, are required to comply with traffic patterns. The departing aircraft should have probably waited until the arrival landed, but he was possibly concerned about a clearance void time.

As far as ADSb, we can get info on a target pretty easily, including callsign.

WannFly likes this.