at what point is it just not going to happen?

frustrated attempt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
anonymous
Quick backstory. Dual diagnosis from VA. PTSD and substance dependence. No prior legal issues or DUI. I dealt with it and have proven over 2 years sobriety through testing and regular AA attendance. Reading reports from doctors to include FAA psychiatrist, They believed they could get me within their risk tolerance months ago and have had nothing but reports that ended with asking the FAA to consider a special issuance and confirming I've done everything they asked. They still aren't budging.

Reading Part 67, I have no psychosis, no bi-polar, no substance abuse for the preceding 2 years, no meds for PTSD for 4 years (though the VA tried several over about 5 years, as they are known to do) with no adverse effects so it looks like I meet Part 67 requirements for SI and it's mostly a history of, at this point.

At what point is the effort just futile? Any idea what else could be holding it up?

... no meds for PTSD for 4 years (though the VA tried several over about 5 years, as they are known to do)

I'm not an AME, but you'll likely need to know exactly which meds they tried, when they tried them, and how they compare with FAA requirements. Certain drugs are simply no bueno with the FAA.

Also pinging @bbchien and @lbfjrmd

Would also add that I had the cogscreen and full P&P exam. Doctors state symptoms quiescent off medication.

You are doing to need to be in the HIMS program. You can use the ones recommended above or find a HIMS AME near you via Pilot Doctors.

Thank you for your reply, sir. I’ve been in a HIMS program the entire time I’ve done substance monitoring.

Sorry, misinterpreted how you laid it out. But honestly, it is impossible to answer your question with only the limited information provided. Clearly there is something holding up your approval. Part of it could just be the massive backlog at the FAA.

At what point is the effort just futile? Any idea what else could be holding it up?

One thing about the process is that it's rarely hopeless. There are many appeal options that can even reverse actions by the FAA, including denials and revocations of certificates. How complex and expensive that is varies on a case-by-case basis, as does an applicant's decision to determine that it's just not worth it - time, money, and effort.

Read the Bob Hoover story to get some further perspective on how goofy the process can be.

Only you can decide if the effort is futile. Caution, not everyone’s medical history is certifiable by the FAA.

If you have responded to their requests for additional information, all you can do is wait. Complex cases can take years for certification. In some instances, a decade of well documented history is needed just to get started.

I have not gotten a HIMS approval recently in less than 9 months. And that is in the now mandatory Huddle system. The delay might just be bureacratic delay as resources are gettign very very limited.....I have had a few in whcih I had to do an addition flight physcial just to keep that current, so you're not alone.

Don't know you medical details......so other thatn admin, I couldn't say.....

I have not gotten a HIMS approval recently in less than 9 months. And that is in the now mandatory Huddle system. The delay might just be bureacratic delay as resources are gettign very very limited.....I have had a few in whcih I had to do an addition flight physcial just to keep that current, so you're not alone.

Don't know you medical details......so other thatn admin, I couldn't say.....

Thank you Dr. Bruce. I checked Medxpress and it says not medically cleared. I guess I just need to wait on the paperwork. It just seems like the doctors’ opinions don’t seem to matter sometimes. Have you ever seen a HIMS case not medically cleared in Medxpress simply because a new flight physical is needed?

Have you ever seen a HIMS case not medically cleared in Medxpress simply because a new flight physical is needed?

If one is needed, you will be notified by the FAA.

Have you ever seen a HIMS case not medically cleared in Medxpress simply because a new flight physical is needed?

If one is needed, you will be notified by the FAA.

Thank you, Dr. Lou. Hopefully that’s it. It’s been an incredibly long process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back