At SWA even the rampers like to drive fast!

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower

Apparently the rampers are now competing with the pilots to see how fast they can get a 737 going on the ground.

Learned something new today. You can get a 737 moving fast enough with then tug to pull the nose gear clean off.

But the bigger question is……if you push back at your scheduled departure time but drop the airplane on its nose, does that still count for an 'on-time' departure???

After the Reno races one year I saw tug lurch with an F-14 on tow. Cracked the strut and hyd fluid started pouring out. You could just see the disgust in the pilot shaking his head. Breaking a strut on a carrier plane takes some work.

I've had a couple of broken tow bars over the years, but nothing like that! Ouch!

After the Reno races one year I saw tug lurch with an F-14 on tow. Cracked the strut and hyd fluid started pouring out. You could just see the disgust in the pilot shaking his head. Breaking a strut on a carrier plane takes some work.
Not surprised that happened to an F-14. They were having experiencing nose gear failures from cat shots near the end of their service life.

The F-14 was actually a major factor in the decision to pursue the electromagnetic catapult.

Not surprised that happened to an F-14. They were having experiencing nose gear failures from cat shots near the end of their service life.

The F-14 was actually a major factor in the decision to pursue the electromagnetic catapult.

All I know is they were going to give us a few flybys before leaving for Fallon. Stupid tug driver put an end to those plans.

I thought tow bars had fuse pins to prevent exactly that from happening?

No they have shear pins to stop a romper from trying to turn the aircraft with hyd Pressure on the steering system.

Bob

You are most likely referring to the NLG steering bypass pin and not the tow bar shear pins. Different thing.

Besides the aircraft steering bypass, not a pin, a lever that is pinned, there is a shear pin in the towbars. I know, I have seen it in action.

Duh. Their tugs are turnt up and rolling coal.

LOL. We had one way smokier than that wimpy little one at Stapleton for shoving out heavies. Fun to drive, too. Was four wheel drive and two types of four wheel steering, both normal and crab.

Came in handy when the ramp was covered in snow and de-icing snot.

Numerous times you’d hit the brakes lightly at the end of a snowy pushback and the airplane would just drag the tug from momentum with all four wheels locked on the tug. If you timed it right you’d end up at the perfect stopping point in the alleyway. If not it was a little hairy.

If the wind was blowing the wrong way (from behind) on the smokey one you were mostly pushing in Stevie Wonder mode. Couldn’t see ****. Not the wing walkers, not the airplane, not anything else on the ramp. You were essentially using the airplane as a blind man’s cane hoping it didn’t tap anything.

You couldn’t hear what they were SAYING over the portable radio with the Mickey Mouse ears on to talk to the cockpit, but we’d usually round up extra radios if we had to push in bad visibility conditions.

Normally each gate only had one radio but we’d go steal extras from the charger in the supervisors’ office. If you heard ANYTHING come out of the radio you would start braking to a stop until you could figure out if it was one of your wing walkers talking or just some idiot babbling on another gate about a missing bag cart.

Wing walkers look great for the safety people but were mostly useless in bad weather. You pushed where you looked first and didn’t see anything there. If something moved there after you started pushing you were going to have a bad night.

Reflective jackets are pretty useless in heavy snow. I learned that at least. LOL.

LOL. We had one way smokier than that wimpy little one at Stapleton for shoving out heavies. Fun to drive, too. Was four wheel drive and two types of four wheel steering, both normal and crab.

Came in handy when the ramp was covered in snow and de-icing snot.

Numerous times you’d hit the brakes lightly at the end of a snowy pushback and the airplane would just drag the tug from momentum with all four wheels locked on the tug. If you timed it right you’d end up at the perfect stopping point in the alleyway. If not it was a little hairy.

If the wind was blowing the wrong way (from behind) on the smokey one you were mostly pushing in Stevie Wonder mode. Couldn’t see ****. Not the wing walkers, not the airplane, not anything else on the ramp. You were essentially using the airplane as a blind man’s cane hoping it didn’t tap anything.

You couldn’t hear what they were SAYING over the portable radio with the Mickey Mouse ears on to talk to the cockpit, but we’d usually round up extra radios if we had to push in bad visibility conditions.

Normally each gate only had one radio but we’d go steal extras from the charger in the supervisors’ office. If you heard ANYTHING come out of the radio you would start braking to a stop until you could figure out if it was one of your wing walkers talking or just some idiot babbling on another gate about a missing bag cart.

Wing walkers look great for the safety people but were mostly useless in bad weather. You pushed where you looked first and didn’t see anything there. If something moved there after you started pushing you were going to have a bad night.

Reflective jackets are pretty useless in heavy snow. I learned that at least. LOL.

HA!

54506308.jpg

What was Clarke and Dawe talking about..???? (and don't say the front fell off...)

001695_A300_A310_Towbar_Head_01.jpg
You are most likely referring to the NLG steering bypass pin and not the tow bar shear pins. Different thing.

no im not. they have shear pins in the to bar so that if the ramper forgets to put the bypass pin in and tries to turn the nosegear with hyd pressure on the system the pin shears and the head of the tow bar is free to rotate to stop damage of the NLG.

notice the two bolts with holes in them. if you put side pressure on the head those bolts shear and the head is free to rotate around the big bolt. also notice the two extra shear bolts for replacement when it does happen

001695_A300_A310_Towbar_Head_01.jpg

no im not. they have shear pins in the to bar so that if the ramper forgets to put the bypass pin in and tries to turn the nosegear with hyd pressure on the system the pin shears and the head of the tow bar is free to rotate to stop damage of the NLG.

notice the two bolts with holes in them. if you put side pressure on the head those bolts shear and the head is free to rotate around the big bolt. also notice the two extra shear bolts for replacement when it does happen

Yeah, I know how it all works. I’ve towed more planes than I ever care to recall. It was just the way that you worded your statement that I replied to that made me think you were confusing or conflating the two.

Back