aspiring new airman

I have a student who currently has a 1st class with an SI. He said the SI was for ADHD but when I saw the paperwork it also listed adjustment disorder and depressive disorder. He claims that his therapist never told him that he had those disorders and he quit seeing the therapist because he considered the ADHD diagnosis to be bogus. Now he has a month until his medical needs to be renewed and one of the things his letter says he needs is therapist notes. At this point I am assuming that the FAA will decide that he has untreated depressive disorder and deny the renewal but he is eligible for basic med if he just doesn’t go back to the AME for renewal.

Should I recommend that he go basic med or let him go back to the AME and see where the chips fall?

I have a student who currently has a 1st class with an SI. He said the SI was for ADHD but when I saw the paperwork it also listed adjustment disorder and depressive disorder. He claims that his therapist never told him that he had those disorders and he quit seeing the therapist because he considered the ADHD diagnosis to be bogus. Now he has a month until his medical needs to be renewed and one of the things his letter says he needs is therapist notes. At this point I am assuming that the FAA will decide that he has untreated depressive disorder and deny the renewal but he is eligible for basic med if he just doesn’t go back to the AME for renewal.

Should I recommend that he go basic med or let him go back to the AME and see where the chips fall?

Do you think he can safely fly on basicmed?

Do you think he can safely fly on basicmed?
I have a feeling that if he went for a 1st class, BasicMed is not going to cut it for him.

But you never know. Maybe he wants a 1st class for a 152.

I have a feeling that if he went for a 1st class, BasicMed is not going to cut it for him.

I guess? But I got a 1st class medical when I started training, too, despite only needing a third, so wasn't sure.

You certainly should not suggest he see where the chips fall unless you tell him the chips are likely to fall with him but getting a medical and losing sport pilot and basic med. If basic med works for him, that seems like the best option. If not, you should recommend he consult with his AME to get his ducks in a row before reaplying.

But you never know. Maybe he wants a 1st class for a 152.
He went for the first class because it was a requirement for a scholarship that he applied for, otherwise he doesn’t need a 1st class. He is going to college to be an engineer and isn’t planning on being a professional pilot. However if he changes his mind I think he would be better off restarting therapy before reapplying for a 1st or 2nd class medical.

He went for the first class because it was a requirement for a scholarship that he applied for, otherwise he doesn’t need a 1st class. He is going to college to be an engineer and isn’t planning on being a professional pilot. However if he changes his mind I think he would be better off restarting therapy before reapplying for a 1st or 2nd class medical.
Good reason!

Yes, I think he can safely fly with basicmed.

In that case, I would highly recommend you advise him to go basic med, as going through the FAA medical meatgrinder might either drain his flying money or his flying motivation...and neither is preferable!

I don't understand why you quoted my post?

The CFI should evaluate the student based on their piloting skills not medical information some doctor wrote in some notes to pad the bill to the insurance company.

Perfectly legal for someone to go basic medical even with those extra diagnoses.

The CFI should evaluate the student based on their piloting skills not medical information some doctor wrote in some notes to pad the bill to the insurance company.

Perfectly legal for someone to go basic medical even with those extra diagnoses.

The question wasn't an evaluation of legality, it was implied whether or not the CFI noticed the student acting in a way that would be imply adjustment disorder and depressive disorder were correct. CFI is not a doctor, but there are signs that can be noted. For example, if I was teaching someone who couldn't concentrate, got easily agitated, mood swings, etc - I would sit with them and talk about what's going on because something isn't right. I'd certainly be questioning whether or not flying is a good idea for them.

Absent any symptoms, basicmed sounds like a fine idea.

The question wasn't an evaluation of legality, it was implied whether or not the CFI noticed the student acting in a way that would be imply adjustment disorder and depressive disorder were correct. CFI is not a doctor, but there are signs that can be noted. For example, if I was teaching someone who couldn't concentrate, got easily agitated, mood swings, etc - I would sit with them and talk about what's going on because something isn't right. I'd certainly be questioning whether or not flying is a good idea for them.

Absent any symptoms, basicmed sounds like a fine idea.

The question was if you became aware that a doctor wrote in their notes a student was diagnosed with a medical condition would you feel that person is unsafe to fly basic medical.

The above poster replied no they didn't feel the student was unsafe, but if another CFI thinks they are unsafe after learning this information not by observed behavior but only being told this information they might take some action like contacting the FAA.

I'm only stating that is a good reason not to disclose private medical information to anyone other than when required you never know what they will do with that information. If the student holds proper medical certifications and they feel they are safe to fly that is all they need to know. Now if the CFI observes unusual behavior in a student that is a good reason to take action. You don't want to be up in the air with someone who has a mental issue far more likely to find those people passed a FAA medical with flying colors because they never went to a doctor were never diagnosed. Most under 30 years old never go to doctors I never went to a doctor until I was about 38-39 years old.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back