Aspen logic

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Why does the Aspen dump so much information when the pitot becomes blocked? I lost all airspeed indications (as expected). Didn’t think pitot alone would cause the whole display to red x like this. Seems like the attitude and HSI would continue to operate properly? My avionics installer says the whole unit will shut down (as pictured) with a source failure.
Apparently I hit a bird or something on approach. The airspeed slowly dropped off until about 40 kts, then it shut down as shown. Once I broke out, I took this pic with my phone.

Attachments

• 94B09AF4-6212-4521-ACD4-1BFED4F42C65.png
    94B09AF4-6212-4521-ACD4-1BFED4F42C65.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 58
That's what happens when your AHRS is aided by airspeed only. Lose airspeed and you're likely going to lose AHRS data

Thanks, apparently that’s the case. Sucks! It made for a very difficult approach.

Was it ice or something else? Odd to block up mid flight sans ice

No ice. Possibly a bird strike. No idea exactly what caused the pitot to clog. Totally caught me off guard. For a moment I thought I was about to stall in IMC. I mistakenly increased throttle for the low airspeed indication before realizing that I had a malfunctioning system. The extra power caused me go above the glide slope. Thankfully I had the # 2 nav source dialed up for reference.
They were calling 700 OVC, but I had adequate visibility well prior to that.
Notice the FMAs. GA is activated. Apparently I fat-fingered the AP disconnect switch and hit the GA switch by accident during the excitement. Obviously a bad move! It caused the FD to pitch up, making it even more difficult to process the information.

Last edited:
Back