Aspen/Garmin Digital Autopilot Interface - my upgrade is complete!

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
My panel upgrade is complete - the FAA has approved Aspen's new software for the Evolution PFD, and with that the avionics shop could reinstate the digital autopilot interface between the Aspen Evolution MAX PFD and the Garmin GFC 600 autopilot. At last, I have arrived at the end of this upgrade journey, after about 13 months.

What you see here is what I believe is the very first (and maybe still only, at the time the video was made) airplane which has this new digital autopilot interface between Aspen and Garmin. It allows altitude preselect, native GPSS support, and all those things a state-of-the-art autopilot setup should be able to do today.

A big thank you to the fine people at Gardner Lowe Aviation Services in Peachtree City, GA, who installed my avionics.

Congrats. I know it’s been a long road.

Martin, I’m a YouTube fan, and you are an Aspen/GTN expert.

here is the setup: Aspen 1000 PFD, GTN 650, STec 40 auto pilot Interfaced to Aspen with including GPSS. HSI displayed heading is +- 3 to 5 on compass rose.

I have noticed ground tracks on Garmin Pilot while flying hold is not as expected. Today I flew a test hold at that CMA VOR using the gps for navigation. The VOR is on the field at KCMA. Actual heading of RW26 is 257.

in the GTN I set up a hold with an inbound course of 257. The autopilot is flying in GPSS. The Aspen displays a course in the number box of 260. I confirm that I have defined the inbound course as 257. I did. I then change the defined course to 254. The Aspen now displays the course as 257. The Aspen seems to add 3 degrees to the course entered in the GTN.

Further, for any course that the Aspen displays as the desired course, GPSS tracks 5 to 10 degrees to the right of that. By the way, it’s a calm wind day.

I am trying to troubleshoot shoot this prior to going to the avionics shop. You thoughts are appreciated.

Back