Aspen Avionics, Trio Avionics Release Integrated Autopilot Packages

Interesting. Nice to see another AP option for PA-32's. I just spent almost that amount of money just to get my already existing Aspen to work with my already existing STEC. So, color me skeptical that there aren't hidden fees to make it all work. The article says $200 to enable the Aspen. I've bought 3 simple enable functions for my aspens, and the cheapest one of those three cost me $900. I hope this is a sign Aspen has come to their senses, and not another "Oh, you want it to actually work? Well that's another $1000" that I've become accustomed to.

I'd also be interested in what planes will get an STC. With mooney having a relatively small # of planes, it's usually one of the last to be included.

Have been following this evolution of the Trio on their facebook page. The questions I have are what is a reasonable install time for this combo in a legacy aircraft (say Cessna 170/180 series) with only a current 6pack (i know that’s kind of asking how long is a piece of string) and what are the advantages/disadvantages of the Trio over the Aerocruz as it’s supposedly already compatible with the E5?

Have been following this evolution of the Trio on their facebook page. The questions I have are what is a reasonable install time for this combo in a legacy aircraft (say Cessna 170/180 series) with only a current 6pack (i know that’s kind of asking how long is a piece of string) and what are the advantages/disadvantages of the Trio over the Aerocruz as it’s supposedly already compatible with the E5?
I have a Aerocruz and an Aspen. The advantage to the Trio appears to be more indicators for mode/settings. The Aerocruz only has a knob and mode button which take a combination of pushing the knob and rotating to get the proper settings. It took me about 4-5 hours of just playing with it to get it to do what I wanted to every time. It looks the Trio would take less time to learn. The Aerocruz was $8,200 installed in a 182. I have no idea what a Trio would cost.

Back