Asking for ILS approach without rating

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
As a private VFR pilot, can I ask for a ILS approach on a visual day? No instructor onboard. Just for the heck of it. Are there any regs around this?

As a private VFR pilot, can I ask for a ILS approach on a visual day? No instructor onboard. Just for the heck of it. Are there any regs around this?
Accepting a clearance would be a violation. Requesting and making a practice approach is not a violation. You'll prolly get the "no separation services provided" comment from ATC for the practice approach.

Yep, what Clark said. Depending on the airport, you might get a clearance and separation services but no IFR rating is required.

Sweet thanks. Did a couple of RNAV, procedure turns, hold and ILS the other day with a CFI. It’s FUN... am hooked. But way too much crap going on at the same time

Sweet thanks. Did a couple of RNAV, procedure turns, hold and ILS the other day with a CFI. It’s FUN... am hooked. But way too much crap going on at the same time
Just be sure the phrasing is "practice approach" when making the request. ATC is used to the request. Let the tower know how the approach will terminate when calling them (missed, tng, full stop, etc).

When i do practice approaches at towered fields, they generally clear me for the option. The exception is military fields, they tell me I can make a low approach but cannot land. Sometimes they ask my intentions, then I either ask for something specific (full stop, missed approach, etc.) or for the option.

There is a whole bunch of guidance in the AIM. You probably should read it through. Clark's advice on phrasing is in there. Other good stuff as well, including this small caution:

Except in an emergency, aircraft cleared to practice instrument approaches must not deviate from the approved procedure until cleared to do so by the controller.​

That's not to say don't do it.Just to say, be confident you know what you are doing. As you said, there's a lot of crap going on at the same time and a deviation could mean a violation.

There is a whole bunch of guidance in the AIM. You probably should read it through. Clark's advice on phrasing is in there. Other good stuff as well, including this small caution:

Except in an emergency, aircraft cleared to practice instrument approaches must not deviate from the approved procedure until cleared to do so by the controller.​

That's not to say don't do it.Just to say, be confident you know what you are doing. As you said, there's a lot of crap going on at the same time and a deviation could mean a violation.

Good point. Thanks. Not doing anything without getting comfortable with a CFI and when I can handle odd balls.

Leading up to my instrument check ride, I did quite a bit of this just to practice procedures. I had plenty of hood/actual so really wasn't interested in trying to find a safety pilot so I would just request practice approaches. The controller would always clarify to remain VFR but other then that it's like a normal instrument approach. I still do this on occasion when I don't feel like filing.

One important note is that you have to be careful you don't develop bad habits so you might not want to do it too much of it until you've worked with your CFI for a bit to get your briefing/routine down.

Last edited:
And... if you're working with a CFI then you CAN file IFR (or rather your CFI can) and fly the approach fully in the system. And, you can still log PIC as long as you are rated in the airplane.

Good advice to get comfortable working with a CFI first (or even better, a CFII) before flying approaches alone or with a safety pilot.

Be sure to include "practice" in your request...that will result in a "Maintain VFR" instruction.

Bob

@WannFly

Good point. There are two types of Practice Approaches for VFR's. One of them you get 'Cleared for the Approach' but are told to 'Maintain VFR.' Controllers are required to provide IFR separation in this case with the exception that 500 feet of vertical can be used instead of 1000 and they don't protect the 'Missed Approach.' The other you do not get 'Cleared for the Approach' but are told "MAINTAIN VFR, PRACTICE APPROACH APPROVED, NO SEPARATION SERVICES PROVIDED.” The first one you usually get at the Primary Airport but it can happen at Satellite Airports also. While an argument can be made that doing the first case is legal even though you are not 'rated' I'd recommend you be pretty comfortable with IFR procedure and working in the 'system.'

@WannFly

Good point. There are two types of Practice Approaches for VFR's. One of them you get 'Cleared for the Approach' but are told to 'Maintain VFR.' Controllers are required to provide IFR separation in this case with the exception that 500 feet of vertical can be used instead of 1000 and they don't protect the 'Missed Approach.' The other you do not get 'Cleared for the Approach' but are told "MAINTAIN VFR, PRACTICE APPROACH APPROVED, NO SEPARATION SERVICES PROVIDED.” The first one you usually get at the Primary Airport but it can happen at Satellite Airports also. While an argument can be made that doing the first case is legal even though you are not 'rated' I'd recommend you be pretty comfortable with IFR procedure and working in the 'system.'
Both cases are legal with or without the rating. They are both under VFR -rules and conditions. The difference has more to do with how ATC chooses to handle you than anything else -provide separation services or not.

When I was in Denver, TRACON did "cleared for the approach" for years and then switched to "practice approach approved," and then seemed to go back and forth depending on traffic, personal controller preference, I dunno. @denverpilot or @Clark1961 and a few others can tell you what they are seeing there these days.

RDU TRACON OTOH does "cleared for the approach." As a unit they prefer to provide separation services. Makes no difference whether to the primary or the nontowered satellites. Kinda funny - there was a pilot-controller seminar when I first moved there. I asked which one they did and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Both cases are legal with or without the rating. They are both under VFR -rules and conditions. The difference has more to do with how ATC chooses to handle you than anything else -provide separation services or not.

When I was in Denver, TRACON did "cleared for the approach" for years and then switched to "practice approach approved," and then seemed to go back and forth depending on traffic, personal controller preference, I dunno. @denverpilot or @Clark1961 and a few others can tell you what they are seeing there these days.

RDU TRACON OTOH does "cleared for the approach." As a unit they prefer to provide separation services. Makes no difference whether to the primary or the nontowered satellites. Kinda funny - there was a pilot-controller seminar when I first moved there. I asked which one they did and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Here's Raliegh's LTA. https://notams.aim.faa.gov/lta/main/viewlta?lookupid=1663832412662010979

Last time I looked around at different places policies, the 'norm' was 'IFR separation' at the Primary Airport and the 'no separation services provided' at the Satellites. I'll give it 50/50 they looked at you like that because it surprised them you knew the difference or they didn't.

Yep. I'm familiar with it. I posted it locally a few months ago when I first came across it. There's a similar one for Greensboro, NC, not far from me.
Last time I looked around at different places policies, the 'norm' was 'IFR separation' at the Primary Airport and the 'no separation services provided' at the Satellites.
I've never seen a "norm" on this one.
I'll give it 50/50 they looked at you like that because it surprised them you knew the difference or they didn't.
Or both :D
That was my thought at the time.

Back and forth still, here. More often than not, “VFR approach approved, no separation services provided”. Which seems to just be so they can allow closer separation than IFR/IMC would normally allow. If someone shows up who needs an actual IFR approach, they still control everyone and “spin” the VFRs our of the bizjets way with vectors.

........I've never seen a "norm" on this one.....

It may or may not be. I looked at quite a few and most of the ones I did used IFR separation at the Primary and didn't at the Satellites. They most seemed to play the
"...within existing resources" card. This was a couple years ago. Maybe to the Satellites is more of the 'norm' now.

10−4−5. PRACTICE INSTRUMENT
APPROACHES
a. VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches
at the approach control’s primary airport must be
provided IFR separation in accordance with FAAO
JO 7110.65, Air Traffic Control, Chapter 4, Section
8, Approach Clearance Procedures.
NOTE−
The primary airport is the airport from which approach
control service is provided, except for remoted facilities
where the facility air traffic manager will designate the
primary report.
b. IFR separation to VFR aircraft in accordance
with FAAO JO 7110.65, Chapter 4, Section 8,
Approach Clearance Procedures, must be provided to
all secondary airports under the approach control’s
jurisdiction to the extent possible within existing

resources. Where separation service is provided to an
airport with a FSS that provides LAA, or a
nonapproach control tower, provisions for handling
such aircraft must be included in a LOA.
c. Where IFR separation is not provided to VFR
aircraft conducting practice approaches, instruct the
aircraft to maintain VFR and provide traffic
information.
d. At airports where the tower does not provide
approach control service, handle practice instrument
approaches in accordance with a LOA between the
tower and the facility providing approach control
service.
e. Facilities must issue a letter to airmen advising
the users of those airports where IFR separation is
provided for VFR aircraft conducting practice