Ask me your hardest checkride questions

$ is "dust raised by winds"

some runways have side lines....depends on the type of runway it is. Visual, precision or non precision.

$ sign on Metar means that maintenance is required on the automated weather system. A memory aid i used was to think of spending money to fix the thing LOL

The adjustment knob on the ASI (perhaps not all ASIs have them) is used to give you TAS. It adjust for Pressure Altitude and OAT to give you TAS

While taxiing at a controlled airport, you see this sign. You don't have your AIM with you in the cockpit, and there is another airplane behind up against your butt. What do you do?
APCH_dia.jpg APCH_dia.jpg APCH_dia.jpg APCH_dia.jpg

Taxi to runway 25.
That's the only instruction? I'm just a student, but if I was faced with this, stop short of the lines, contact ground with "Skyhawk 1234, holding short runway one five approach." Then wait for clearance to proceed. No different than crossing a runway. Yes?

OK, based on a quick internet search, I was wrong.

Last edited:
It rained two inches in the last hour. Are you at risk of hydroplaning on the destination runway? (How would you know?) If there is a risk, what steps would you take to reduce the risk? Hint: What speed do your tires hydroplane at?

While taxiing at a controlled airport, you see this sign. You don't have your AIM with you in the cockpit, and there is another airplane behind up against your butt. What do you do?
View attachment 101931 View attachment 101931 View attachment 101931 View attachment 101931
I'll take an educated guess at this but it looks like it's telling you to stop as this is the approach area for runway 15. Need to be aware of potential wake turbulence and get clearance to cross it?

View attachment 101907

What is 122.4 used for?
What does the C inside the Blue Circle Mean?
IF the Tower is closed what frequency do you use? the unicom
What does the *L mean?
What is 122.9 used for?
What does the 78 in the dashed square mean?

looking at this make we wonder what I do know. but I'll take a shot at it as I have a checkride date now and want to practice as much as possible.
  • not sure to be honest cause the tower is 125.6 and the common is 122.95. You got me on this one. I thought a VOR at first but there isn't one
  • The Common or unicom C is that the C you are talking about?
  • *L is limited lighting that needs to be looked up
  • 122.9 is the common
  • 78 is the top of the class D airspace in MSL

It rained two inches in the last hour. Are you at risk of hydroplaning on the destination runway? (How would you know?) If there is a risk, what steps would you take to reduce the risk? Hint: What speed do your tires hydroplane at?

Just try and land really hard? JK, I never thought of that question. So many good questions... I would assume you hydroplane close to rotate speed which is 59kts for me

Just try and land really hard? JK, I never thought of that question. So many good questions... I would assume you hydroplane close to rotate speed which is 59kts for me
There is a formula. I was asked it on my commercial multiengine oral. He didn’t fail me for getting it slightly wrong.

View attachment 101907

What is 122.4 used for?
IF the Tower is closed what frequency do you use?
What does the *L mean?
What is 122.9 used for?
Here's my thoughts (I did some research to confirm my thoughts)...
122.4 is a remote communications channel to Boise. I thought it would normally be seen on VORs, but not always I guess. (ah, looks like it goes through the Hailey VOR)
C in the blue circle is the common frequency (when tower is not in operation)
*L limited lighting (look up specifics)
122.9 is UNICOM
78 means the ceiling of the class D is at 7800' MSL

There is a formula. I was asked it on my commercial multiengine oral. He didn’t fail me for getting it slightly wrong.
Did he ask for the “takeoff” formula or the “landing” formula? ;)

(they are actually different)

View attachment 101907

What is 122.4 used for?
IF the Tower is closed what frequency do you use?
What does the *L mean?
What is 122.9 used for?
I looked up the airport on SkyVector and found the following remark: WHEN ATCT CLSD - LAND RY 31 TAKEOFF RY 13. As a student pilot... umm... wow. Is that common?

I looked up the airport on SkyVector and found the following remark: WHEN ATCT CLSD - LAND RY 31 TAKEOFF RY 13. As a student pilot... umm... wow. Is that common?

That exact restriction may not be common, but recommend runways are frequently mentioned in the Chart Supplement Remarks section for an airport. Another Gotcha I have seen some popular GPS/EFD's that don't readily display the remarks for airport. Make sure whatever you are using does.

That exact restriction may not be common, but recommend runways are frequently mentioned in the Chart Supplement Remarks section for an airport. Another Gotcha I have seen some popular GPS/EFD's that don't readily display the remarks for airport. Make sure whatever you are using does.
Having a recommended runway didn't surprise me. Recommending the opposing traffic did. I'm guessing there's some obstacle on departure of 31.

You just spent the night at KFOD because of weather. In the morning, after sunrise, the AWOS is reporting 900 feet overcast. The skies are clear a few miles to the west, which is where you are headed. Your VHF radio is not working. Can you depart? If not, what exactly do you need to wait for and/or do to depart?

You can get special clearance to depart to the west but don't you need a radio?

You can get special clearance to depart to the west but don't you need a radio?
You’re on the right track. You need to get the radio fixed to obtain a special VFR clearance or you need to wait for a 1,000-foot ceiling to depart VFR. This actually happened to me. Assuming you got the radio fixed, whom would you call for SVFR?

O
Depends on what he knows, you should have the stock FAA answers just in case.

I had this question from the same examiner for my instrument and commercial

he stated with - I have to ask, but I know you know way more than me on this We had stared the ride with some background as it helps him focus questions. I barely got one sentence out and off to the next question. FWIW I have a masters in aerospace engineering and work in the industry.

Are there any locations where SVFR are not allowed?

It’s just snowed 6 inches, airport 10 miles west is FICON 3/3/3 and the other airport 15 SE is closed. Your destination airport has no NOTAMs about field conditions. What do you do?

The other fun one, what is magnetic variance and when is it relevant? (Being a midwesterner, no clue here).

That's the only instruction? I'm just a student, but if I was faced with this, stop short of the lines, contact ground with "Skyhawk 1234, holding short runway one five approach." Then wait for clearance to proceed. No different than crossing a runway. Yes?

OK, based on a quick internet search, I was wrong.
Why is this wrong?

Question: How would you know that the compass is empty of fluid.??

Answer: The fluid will be all over the glare shield....

I was asked this on my commercial single engine add on ride.

I got it wrong.

I got it wrong.
The only thing I remember from my Commercial Single Engine oral was that I had to plan a VFR flight from Ames, Iowa to Dallas, TX in less than 30 minutes.

What is safe taxi speed?
40 mph less than the guy who is driving you from Floyd Bennett Field to Midtown Manhattan past LaGuardia, the UN and Yankee Stadium is doing.

The only thing I remember from my Commercial Single Engine oral was that I had to plan a VFR flight from Ames, Iowa to Dallas, TX in less than 30 minutes.
I'm no expert but I don't think there is a commercial single engine airplane in current use that will fly from Ames Iowa to Dallas Texas in less than 30 minutes.

Ok, you've got me stumped. How are you legal in the first place flying 200' below the clouds?
If you are in Bravo the only requirement is to be 'clear of the clouds' .. or so I thought

I got it wrong.

Answer: When the compass is dry the compass card will bounce and move like a marble in a paint shaker.

Back