Asiana A320 accident in Japan today

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Looks like an unobstructed approach to a hilltop airport. Light rain showers and fog. Not enough wind to generate Catalina-like downdrafts over the ravine on the approach end. Hit 300 meters short of the runway. :rolleyes2:

Accident at 1105Z:

RJOA 141108Z VRB02KT 4000 R28/0300VP1800D -SHRA PRFG FEW000 SCT005 BKN012 09/08Q1006 RMK 1ST000 4ST005 6CU012 A2973 1500E FG E-S

RJOA 141100Z VRB02KT 6000 -SHRA PRFG FEW000 SCT012 BKN020 09/08 Q1006

http://avherald.com/h?article=484c306e&opt=0

Attachments

• Hiroshima_01.jpg
    Hiroshima_01.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 205
Glad they all survived,one heck of a hard landing.

I see capt. Wei Tu Lo is back on flying status.

Quick, let's post a picture of the wrong crash site before Nauga shows up....

Ron Wanttaja

site..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 219
Betcha if you pull the pilot's file he ACED the last checkride (hint: they all do)

HuffPo story (with AP byline) says it skidded off the runway after landing:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7061700

TOKYO (AP) — An Asiana Airlines plane skidded off a runway Tuesday after landing in western Japan, and about 20 people received minor injuries, officials said.

Hiroshima airport reported that the aircraft's tail touched the runway while landing, causing some sparks, but there were no flames, the Mihara City fire department said.

The airport was closed after the accident for an investigation.

Officials found damage to a wireless communication facility near the runway, suggesting the Airbus 320 may have touched it before landing, Transport Ministry official Shunichiro Sasaki said. He said the plane's left wing and left engine were also damaged.

An object believed to be an antenna from the communication facility was found caught in the plane's left landing gear, Kyodo News reported, quoting the Transport Ministry.

I guess there wasn't enough blood for the news people. Had to do a search to find anything.

I guess there wasn't enough blood for the news people. Had to do a search to find anything.

I didn't have to search that hard; it's the second most read story right now on the BBC news site.

Thanks goodness nobody was run over and killed by the people supposed to be rescuing them this time...

Time for a Marketing ad buy.

"Asiana: Proudly accident free since last week."

Asiana confirms details of A320 landing incident at Hiroshima

By: Ellis Taylor

Singapore

Asiana Airlines has confirmed a number of reports around the 14 April landing incident involving one of its Airbus A320s at Hiroshima airport.

In a press statement, the airline says that as flight OZ 162 was landing at Hiroshima airport at 20:05 local time, “the plane skidded off and managed to halt on the runway.”

It also confirmed earlier media reports that there were 81 passengers on board, and that 18 were treated for minor injuries.

Asiana adds that the A320 was built and delivered in 2007 and bears the registration HL7762. Flightglobal’s Ascend Fleets database shows that the aircraft, MSN 3244, is powered by International Aero Engines V2527-A5 engines.

Ascend lists Asiana as the manager of the aircraft, although the owner’s identity is not disclosed. As of 31 March, it had recorded 22,929 hours on the airframe and 14,303 landing cycles.

The airline also said in a separate statement that the senior pilot on board had logged 8,233 hours of flying time, while the co-pilot has a total of 1,583 hours.

_82324215_1beac600-2bec-4eb4-8cec-0bc1fb014e99_zpsb5op1f6l.jpg

The fact that they plowed through the localizer array and some approach lights 1000ft short of the runway got lost in translation I guess.

The fact that they plowed through the localizer array and some approach lights 1000ft short of the runway got lost in translation I guess.

Yup...

I just saw the pics on TV that show a direct hit on the array.....

Asiana confirms details of A320 landing incident at Hiroshima

In a press statement, the airline says that as flight OZ 162 was landing at Hiroshima airport at 20:05 local time, “the plane skidded off and managed to halt on the runway.”

_82324215_1beac600-2bec-4eb4-8cec-0bc1fb014e99_zpsb5op1f6l.jpg

That's an awfully wide runway.

;)

Wow... what a power slide.

One thrust reverser failure?

Crew hoping for a "quick turn?"

Wow... what a power slide.

Crew hoping for a "quick turn?"

Well... Seeing how the left engine is destroyed I am amazed the left gear was still functional...

Can someone post a pic of the array, engine and gear ???:dunno:

It probably failed because a piece of the localizer antenna got stuck in it, or one of the stanchions from the approach lighting system.

Can't beat the picture of the localizer stuck in the nacelle.

asiana_a320_hl7762_hiroshima_150414_4.jpg

So are they blaming the plane again?

How could this even happen unless they blew through the MDA?

Gotta wonder at what point their insurance company steps in to "resolve the issue".

Once *might* be considered an accident. Twice in two years is a trend.

Well, the METARs five minutes before and three minutes after were "VRB02KT" -- right at the outer margin of an Asiana crew's level of demonstrated skill.

That's a good point, they shoulda had their "A" game for that situation.

How long will it take to find the "black" boxes so we can end all this speculation and prove that it is Boebus's fault????

That's a good point, they shoulda had their "A" game for that situation.

How long will it take to find the "black" boxes so we can end all this speculation and prove that it is Boebus's fault????
I'll start:

No evidence of fire - must have been fuel starvation.

I also think Airport and Runway got lost in the translation with regards to where the plane stopped. That was confusing me before, having read it without a picture a little while ago elsewhere. From the disjointed stuff I've read it sounds like he was low on approach and got an antenna caught in his right landing gear, and that was likely disrupting the braking action on that side and he veered off under a heavy left brake.

Asiana really isn't making a good showing are they.:(

Asiana really isn't making a good showing are they.:(

They are making an excellent show of precipitating aircraft short of the runway while leaving the aircraft mostly intact. In fact they've improved over the previous demonstration since they didn't burn this one.

Back