Asheville NC and the Biltmore Estate

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Mary and I decided on a quick hop just to get away for our 19th wedding anniversary. We have had Asheville NC, more specifically, the Biltmore Estate on our list for some time. The link to my blog post and video is listed below.

We did have a fun time exploring the Biltmore estate. Everything is so well preserved, period correct, and maintained beautifully. So many fun facts about the estate, the wooded area around the mansion and Vanderbuilt's contributions to the local area. The landscaper Vanderbuilt hired, Gifford Pinchot, went on to oversee this new agency, Bureau of Forestry, as its first Chief, charged with caring for the newly renamed national forests under president Teddy Roosevelt.

BLOG & VIDEO LINK

Went there with SWMBO some years ago. Fascinating place with amenities well ahead of its time ...

Asheville is a pretty town. I used to point out to new medcrews “The Biltmore” on the way to the hospital. Wasn’t until one day I went to get gas at the airport, that I saw the real Biltmore. The whole time I had been pointing out The Inn at Biltmore Estate. A large building in itself, but not The Biltmore. :biggrin:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I've got this right about which buildings....
in Velocity 173's photo of the skyline...see that building on the right with the pointy top?

Ever hear of the story of the Memphis Belle, that building, and the slightly taller one just behind it? Legend has it that Col Morgan flew that B-17 between those buildings when on their bond tour after they returned home.....

My impression of Asheville was that it is a hippie theme park. But we did go on an interesting ghost tour. I prefer Greenville, South Carolina myself.
Greenville has one of the most beautiful downtowns I have ever seen. I remember my first time there. I stopped at the light at Main and Washington and just stared. I was alone on a business trip but just had to return for a fun weekend with my wife.

Last edited:
My impression of Asheville was that it is a hippie theme park. But we did go on an interesting ghost tour. I prefer Greenville, South Carolina myself.
I had to laugh when I read this. When we sat down for lunch at the Corner Kitchen my bride kept people watching, I asked what's up. She said this place is like a hippie gathering place, I almost blew my sweet tea out.

It also has the worst traffic. I avoid the place.

You're not kidding, the morning rush was unbelievable. In order to get across the three lanes for the turning lane I hugged the right lane went down to the first traffic light and made U turn in a bank parking lot, then came out to the light and made a left to get across the road on RT. 25.

I had to laugh when I read this. When we sat down for lunch at the Corner Kitchen my bride kept people watching, I asked what's up. She said this place is like a hippie gathering place, I almost blew my sweet tea out.
I’ve heard it called “The Portland of The Southeast.”

You're not kidding, the morning rush was unbelievable. In order to get across the three lanes for the turning lane I hugged the right lane went down to the first traffic light and made U turn in a bank parking lot, then came out to the light and made a left to get across the road on RT. 25.
Glad you and Mary got to see Biltmore. Wonderful place, a lot of history and the mansion was quite technically advanced for it's time. A good history lesson for how the "other half" lived in the late 1800's. Did enjoy Asheville - as to it being the eastern Portland - maybe, but still a lot of fun.

Back