ASES and CFI

Mike O

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FloatMyMaule
I hold a Commercial ASES and my ASE Instructor Check ride next week. The A/C I will be flying is not a seaplane (it will be an Complex Arrow) so I won't do any of the flight tasks but will I be subject to display my SeaPlane Knowledge in the Technical Subject Areas for my Oral Testing? The PTS is no help, my CFI says 'No' and the 14 CFR FAR is a Jungle. I will read through all my Sea-Notes but I just want to make sure.

No.

I highly doubt it, unless you bring it up and the ASI/DPE is versed in seaplane ops.

Did my ride with the FSDO, 6ish hour oral, at the time I was a CPL SEL, SES, even got my intial CPL in a seaplane, not one seaplane question was asked.

Agree. The inspector or examiner is with almost complete certainty going to give you the same checkride they give every other CFI applicant. That will not involve any seaplane questions. I'd expect some friendly questions about it once they see it on your certificate (like "that sounds fun, how much seaplane flying do you do?), but questions like "teach me how to step taxi" are not likely.

Don't worry about it and have a good time!

The ASES is fair game; however not very likely.

Back