As the price of gas at the pump skyrockets

So, doing some quick numbers: 40MPG, $5 gas. Free electricity(because I'm too lazy to factor it in) and a $10,000 price premium for the electric.

You'd need to cover 80,000 miles to break even.
40 mpg won't get you a high performance car. You may not want a high performance car, but many people do.
I don't know about the $10k differential. There is quite a differential between a Corvette and a Chevette (do they still make those) too, and it's not due to mpg.
BUT
Mind bending performance and never having to go to the gas station again, PRICELESS.

And as for that $5 gas, I HOPE that's as high as it gets.

Another thing about EVs that’s over looked in these calculations is that most of us charge at work for free. I’m at work for 12 hrs. That’s roughly 40 miles of range for a 32 mile drive home. 7 day work week, 280 miles of free range. That’s around $90 of savings a month in gas over an average ICE vehicle right now. I’ve read some Tesla owners saying they save about $500 a month in gas. I don’t drive that much but I’m probably close to $200 savings a month in gas.
If you are working 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week with a 64 mile commute, I certainly hope you are making enough money to buy any car you want with a couple of paychecks.

08 Ford Focus - purd near 40 mpg. 180,000 miles... Don't remember what it cost, but it had 50-60k miles on it. So I've probably put about 3000 gallons through it without getting electrocuted even once.

If you are working 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week with a 64 mile commute, I certainly hope you are making enough money to buy any car you want with a couple of paychecks.

7 on and 7 off. It’s an easy schedule, especially considering the past 2 nights I slept all night. Probably do the same tonight.

Really? If we asked work to install free electric car chargers we'd be laughed at. Seriously.

So, let's look at work, we employ ~125 people. So far, I've not seen one electric car in the parking lot. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

While some companies offer free charging stations at work, you don’t need to install EV chargers. EVs all come with a mobile connector that plugs into any 110 outlet. I keep my charger at work. I have access to 3 outlets in the parking lot so it there happens to be any other coworkers who happen to buy an EV (they won’t) they have that ability as well.

I have access to 3 outlets in the parking lot so it there happens to be any other coworkers who happen to buy an EV (they won’t) they have that ability as well.

Has that been officially approved by your company and/or the management company that owns the building/lot? If not, that could be considered theft. Even if approved, what happens when there are more than 3 people with EVs who want to charge?

I agree EVs are the near-future for many use cases. But I think the early-adopters should plan for an end to easily accessible free charging. And quite possibly more expensive rates for paid charging

At my work we get “free charging”, but they want $1 per hour for parking. I suppose I could expense that, but I’ll just WFH, the ultimate in gas mileage.

Has that been officially approved by your company and/or the management company that owns the building/lot? If not, that could be considered theft. Even if approved, what happens when there are more than 3 people with EVs who want to charge?

I agree EVs are the near-future for many use cases. But I think the early-adopters should plan for an end to easily accessible free charging. And quite possibly more expensive rates for paid charging

We charge our personal phones, iPads, computers, etc. at work. People bring in personal space heaters. Is all that theft of electrons?

But yes, I brought it up to the regional manager and got it approved. He said many of our bases, crew members / mechs charge their EVs. Right now I’ve got a helipad / windsock outside lit up like a Christmas tree that I imagine costs a fortune each month. They’re not concerned about an additional $20 a month to charge an EV. Our corporate office actually has level 2 chargers set up outside the building as well. Apparently we’re an EV friendly company.

As far as more than three people want to charge then they’ll need to run some extension cords or set up a schedule. No one here is even remotely interested in in getting EV though so my parking spot is quite safe.

Last edited:
Odd how their "problems" happen at the same time ours does. The price of gas increased both places at the same time as here.
I think a lot of that has to do with the speculators in the futures markets, and there are definitely ripples that spill over.

I think a lot of that has to do with the speculators in the futures markets, and there are definitely ripples that spill over.
But that's not what you said:
Don't kid yourself on this. My cousin is an oil exploration exec and the government's capricious actions are directly responsible for the lack of supply. I also may or may not have an angle on energy related stuff due to my job, and I'm convinced he's telling the truth.
The speculators thing makes much more sense.

But that's not what you said:

The speculators thing makes much more sense.
Both can be true. The current issues with supply in the US are a combination of factors, some of which I'm aware of but can't discuss due to a contract, but I fly in the Permian Basin on a regular basis.

Both can be true. The current issues with supply in the US are a combination of factors, some of which I'm aware of but can't discuss due to a contract, but I fly in the Permian Basin on a regular basis.
Maybe, maybe not.
I note that when gas prices rise here, they rise in the rest of the world. They go down here, they go down in the rest of the world too.
Gas prices in the USA correlate very well with Brendt crude and OPEC pricing. Other factors cause only a small distortion in pricing.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/221368/gas-prices-around-the-world/

Of course diesel is 15 cents a gallon less today than yesterday when I filled up.

Gas prices in the USA correlate very well with Brendt crude and OPEC pricing. Other factors cause only a small distortion in pricing.
FYI: global crude pricing only affects about 50% of the domestic gasoline price. So while you see both chart price lines move in similar fashion, its the other 50% of the price which is domestically affected for various reasons. In comparison from pre-pandemic gas prices to prices just prior to the Ukrainian invasion there were several domestic gasoline price increases that were not directly related to crude oil price. When the current oil/gasoline futures prices started their increase our domestic gasoline price/futures were already higher by a buck or so depending on location. So, in general, instead of pushing $5/gal gas right now we should only be pushing $4 gas.

Turns out the whole thing is part of a conspiracy to make people buy electric cars that can be controlled by the government.

I’d buy that but the largest electric car brand is apparently shunned by this administration.
Perhaps that's because the owner of that EV brand doesn't automatically fall in line behind the administration.

FYI: global crude pricing only affects about 50% of the domestic gasoline price. So while you see both chart price lines move in similar fashion, its the other 50% of the price which is domestically affected for various reasons. In comparison from pre-pandemic gas prices to prices just prior to the Ukrainian invasion there were several domestic gasoline price increases that were not directly related to crude oil price. When the current oil/gasoline futures prices started their increase our domestic gasoline price/futures were already higher by a buck or so depending on location. So, in general, instead of pushing $5/gal gas right now we should only be pushing $4 gas.
So, what's the other 50%? Is it government, or corporate greed?

It seems to be a constant rather than a multiplier otherwise the correlation between international pricing breaks down. If the price of crude goes up by a dollar, the 50% you mention means a $2.00 increase if it were a multiplier (as the value 50% of the price suggests). The price of gasoline would increase at 2x the rate of crude.

And your comment still doesn't explain why my friends in China and the UK are seeing roughly similar price increases as we do here.

I paid $2.99 this morning for regular, but I know that's not the price everywhere.

what's the other 50%? Is it government, or corporate greed?
While I don't follow the "greed" part unless you think individual companies don't deserve to make a profit, that 2nd portion covers refining costs/profits, distribution/marketing costs and profits, and federal/state taxes. The refining costs are the most volatile as there are a number of variables that affect them.
if it were a multiplier (as the value 50% of the price suggests)
Its not a multiplier. In general, once the crude is bought at its going price that cost is basically "locked" in then the 2nd half of the cost is applied as the product moves downstream. And since US gasoline is usually not "finished" at the refinery that cost can further vary depending on the region/blending facility. Then whether the raw or finished gas is offered to the market as an option, futures, or spot contract further tweaks the price. So there really is no linear connection other than the oil cost is the starting point prior to refinement.
my friends in China and the UK are seeing roughly similar price increases
Can't answer that as I don't know what is being compared. There are variances in the US of up to $2/gallon due to regional differences. Compared to Venezuela their gas has been $0.12 USD/gallon for the last month with no changes. So it depends on a number of things.

While I don't follow the "greed" part unless you think individual companies don't deserve to make a profit, that 2nd portion covers refining costs/profits, distribution/marketing costs and profits, and federal/state taxes. The refining costs are the most volatile as there are a number of variables that affect them.
"Greed" was worded poorly, companies and shareholders deserve a profit just as surely workers deserve a salary. However, you still haven't shown anything as indicated by this comment:
Don't kid yourself on this. My cousin is an oil exploration exec and the government's capricious actions are directly responsible for the lack of supply. I also may or may not have an angle on energy related stuff due to my job, and I'm convinced he's telling the truth.
As for stuff with refineries, we really only see a price jump when one or more need to shut down because they had an unexpected problem or an expected issue, such as a hurricane, that flooded the area and kept the refinery open.

Its not a multiplier. In general, once the crude is bought at its going price that cost is basically "locked" in then the 2nd half of the cost is applied as the product moves downstream. And since US gasoline is usually not "finished" at the refinery that cost can further vary depending on the region/blending facility. Then whether the raw or finished gas is offered to the market as an option, futures, or spot contract further tweaks the price. So there really is no linear connection other than the oil cost is the starting point prior to refinement.
Of course it is. When you said the cost of oil is 50% of the cost of gasoline, that also means that the price of gasoline is 2x the price of oil. That "x" means multiplication. However, this explanation quoted above only says there is an expense to go from crude oil to a finished product, and the "50%" was just an approximation. I don't see anything other than the free market and speculators at work. No secret government agenda that people can't discuss. Those options, futures, and spot contracts are probably affecting the price more.

As the USA isn't the only place that refines oil to gasoline and other products, other places in the world would see similar expenses as well. Nothing special here.

Can't answer that as I don't know what is being compared. There are variances in the US of up to $2/gallon due to regional differences. Compared to Venezuela their gas has been $0.12 USD/gallon for the last month with no changes. So it depends on a number of things.
The prices in those other places increased as did the USA.

As for Venezuela, I think only China and India buy from them? The USA used to do so until early 2019 when the last administration sanctioned them for something or another. So their prices tend to be an exception as they are just making their own gasoline. I don't think gasoline is expensive in Saudi Arabia, either, another exporter of oil.

Ever hear of the Deep Water Horizon? We would have this crap every year both on and off shore if it weren’t for the governments capricious actions.

As for stuff with refineries, we really only see a price jump when one or more need to shut down because they had an unexpected problem or an expected issue, such as a hurricane, that flooded the area and kept the refinery open.
Not quite. More than physical stoppages affect refinery output. One of the reasons the domestic gasoline price was elevated in the last 6-8 months was due to a higher than expected demand for domestic heating fuels and jet fuels during that same time frame. Given there is only a certain amount of refining capability in country there was an increase in refining these fuels that put the gasoline refining at a lower rate. Hence affecting the gasoline prices. Whether you don’t want to believe the other points I bring up that’s fine too. The data is out there.
However, you still haven't shown anything as indicated by this comment:
No secret government agenda that people can't discuss.
I guess I missed this part as I was replying to your posts. But if you think any administration that is publicly against oil and gas exploration will bring lower fuel costs you’ll find history to be against you. And one can track those subsequent price increases with a calendar.

Not quite. More than physical stoppages affect refinery output. One of the reasons the domestic gasoline price was elevated in the last 6-8 months was due to a higher than expected demand for domestic heating fuels and jet fuels during that same time frame. Given there is only a certain amount of refining capability in country there was an increase in refining these fuels that put the gasoline refining at a lower rate. Hence affecting the gasoline prices. Whether you don’t want to believe the other points I bring up that’s fine too. The data is out there.
Yes, the data is out there. I believe you are posting in good faith, but I feel your data sources (whatever they are, as you don't cite them) are flawed.
I agree about increased demand for jet fuel, but not heating oil.
This link shows the predicted temperatures for the USA for this winter:
https://www.weather.gov/arx/winter2...87HC1K3PG-LKT0gq_1Q0NPr9CU_l3pKNzsw6txnlOdgU4
By and large, the predictions have held up. The winter has been warmer for most of the united states, so there is a reduced need for heating oil. The drought conditions have been accurately predicted in the areas I've heard about. We've hit 80 degrees here last week- both of these tie into temperature and further support the prediction.

Jet fuel prices have only risen through increased demand as the pandemic ends. Anecdotally, I've already reached UAL gold status for next year from increased travel this year. As for gasoline prices, people are simply driving more as the pandemic ends.

Furthermore, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil are straight distillates, although some is made from larger, heavier, parts of crude oil. Gasoline is made from a straight distillate, but also made from breaking down other parts of crude oil. This means that gasoline and jet fuel go through different parts of the refinery after distillation, so "increasing jet fuel" doesn't "decrease gasoline"
This reference alludes to the cracking done to the larger (heavier) molecules in crude oil to make "lighter products". I include this as it isn't biased:
https://www.world-petroleum.org/edu/223-how-is-crude-oil-turned-into-finished-products-

Here's a more detailed reference:
https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-a...e-oil-into-products-like-gasoline-diesel.html
Also, there are refineries elsewhere in the world, with less need to make heating oil. Yet gasoline prices at those places are also increasing similarly to our price increases.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...-highs-governments-look-solutions-2022-03-10/

I guess I missed this part as I was replying to your posts. But if you think any administration that is publicly against oil and gas exploration will bring lower fuel costs you’ll find history to be against you. And one can track those subsequent price increases with a calendar.
I never thought such a thing. I merely questioned the existence of mysterious rules that are so secret you need to be in some sort of contract with some shadowy authority to know what they are.

The rise in prices for gasoline, jet fuel, and crude oil need no more explanation other then the free market at work. There is increased demand as people return to work and travel more. A war started, and caused speculation in the oil markets, as one of the larger producers of crude in involved in said war. As far as I know, countries are still buying that crude oil (our ban won't affect anything- we buy less than 1% of our imports from Russia).

Perhaps that's because the owner of that EV brand doesn't automatically fall in line behind the administration.

I thought it was that that brand doesnt use union's, so the current head honcho will only mention union shops?

es, the data is out there. I believe you are posting in good faith, but I feel your data sources (whatever they are, as you don't cite them) are flawed.
Nothing but in good faith. Most of my info comes from subscription level or higher industry sources which I can’t provide links to for obvious reasons. However, there are public references that I will cite below but may require additional digging to get the same info I have.
I agree about increased demand for jet fuel, but not heating oil.
This link touches on the heating oil and jet fuel comments I made previously. Its not as detailed but industry specific. In general, the industry looks at daily demand based on “heating days” which are then calculated to existing product inventories. As mentioned in this link, Jan 2022 was exceptionally cold, in addition, the January 2022 fuel oil inventories were at a 8 year low which helped trigger the heating oil demand I referenced before.
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51578
This means that gasoline and jet fuel go through different parts of the refinery after distillation, so "increasing jet fuel" doesn't "decrease gasoline"
True, but its the initial cracking that drive those product levels. Actually, it depends on the refinery capabilities, target profitability (crack spread), market volatility, etc. that determines the levels of which product is produced/refined. In general, when they start a run (crude oil input) they can adjust the levels of which specific product they crack from that crude oil input. While they cannot technically “zero” out one specific product like diesel from the process they can increase or decrease those refined levels by various means like moving distillate pools around. However, in some cases those initial product levels can also be limited by their existing secondary processing capabilities such as desulfurization. So yes a refinery can adjust the amount of specific product is finishes.
I merely questioned the existence of mysterious rules that are so secret you need to be in some sort of contract with some shadowy authority to know what they are.
As far as I know there are no secret squirrel requirements as all this information/process is out in the open. So I don’t know what you are referring to. But to simply say petroleum price is merely a function of free market is not correct either. And one of the larger influences on that global pricing structure comes directly from the policies, processes, requirements, etc. of the #1 consumer and producer of petroleum products in the world: the US.
our ban won't affect anything- we buy less than 1% of our imports from Russia
But our ban will stop the cash flow that other countries purchasing Russian oil will have to work around to pay plus it will apply influence to others who want to remain in good standing. However, as of 2021 Russia contributed to 8% of our domestic petroleum imports. Not 1%. If you want specific amounts the 2nd link should provide that info.
upload_2022-3-11_10-37-33.png

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6#:~:text=The top five source countries,, Saudi Arabia, and Colombia.&text=Note: Preliminary data.,imports by country of origin.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

This link touches on the heating oil and jet fuel comments I made previously. Its not as detailed but industry specific. In general, the industry looks at daily demand based on “heating days” which are then calculated to existing product inventories. As mentioned in this link, Jan 2022 was exceptionally cold, in addition, the January 2022 fuel oil inventories were at a 8 year low which helped trigger the heating oil demand I referenced before.
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51578
Even so, it is just the markets responding and not "the government's capricious actions."

True, but its the initial cracking that drive those product levels. Actually, it depends on the refinery capabilities, target profitability (crack spread), market volatility, etc. that determines the levels of which product is produced/refined. In general, when they start a run (crude oil input) they can adjust the levels of which specific product they crack from that crude oil input. While they cannot technically “zero” out one specific product like diesel from the process they can increase or decrease those refined levels by various means like moving distillate pools around. However, in some cases those initial product levels can also be limited by their existing secondary processing capabilities such as desulfurization. So yes a refinery can adjust the amount of specific product is finishes.
And none of this applies to the other refineries in the rest of the world? All of this still isn't "the government's capricious actions."
You are showing me that the companies and the markets are adjusting to supply and demand, including prices.

As far as I know there are no secret squirrel requirements as all this information/process is out in the open. So I don’t know what you are referring to. But to simply say petroleum price is merely a function of free market is not correct either. And one of the larger influences on that global pricing structure comes directly from the policies, processes, requirements, etc. of the #1 consumer and producer of petroleum products in the world: the US.
I agree there are no secret squirrel requirements.
As a reminder, these are the posts that triggered my comments:

But our ban will stop the cash flow that other countries purchasing Russian oil will have to work around to pay plus it will apply influence to others who want to remain in good standing. However, as of 2021 Russia contributed to 8% of our domestic petroleum imports. Not 1%. If you want specific amounts the 2nd link should provide that info.
The second link shows a total imports of 265,228 of which Russia contributed 12,569 for 31 Dec, which is 4.7%, which is probably within the noise level of 8%. However, I phrased my comment incorrectly. The USA produces oil, and we use it too. The Russians probably provide 1% or less of our usage.

Why will our ban stop the cash flow from other countries?

Good news: My cars are Diesel and get 40+ MPG.

Bad news: Diesel is over $5 per gallon most places.

Even so, it is just the markets responding and not "the government's capricious actions."
“No more subsidies for the fossil fuel industry, no more drilling on federal lands, no more drilling, including offshore, no ability for the industry to continue to drill,” he declared. “It ends.”

Famous last words.... :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out what these "subsidies" are that many ignorant people speak of. I have lots friends in the oil business, and not a single one has ever received a check or subsidy from the government.

As a reminder, these are the posts that triggered my comments:
I'd argue that this Ukraine war deal is just a pretext for a lot of stuff happening. The state was set long before Russian troops crossed the border. It's just accelerated nervousness in the market and pre-existing instabilities. We've been in a cold oil war for quite a while.

The AOC types and others have the upper hand and the actions of the blue leaders are indeed capricious. I mean, they ran on those kinds of promises, so why are you trying to deny that they are doing what they said they'd do?

https://www.csis.org/analysis/biden-makes-sweeping-changes-oil-and-gas-policy

Just like a lot of the inflation being blamed on Russia is actually the result of bad Covid policies, dumping money that no one earned into the markets, and inflationary measures by the Federal Reserve, but now we can conveniently pin them on "the war."

How much is the gas prices change really about this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/climate/carbon-biden-drilling-climate.html
instead of about the war???

Last edited:
If you can figure out a way I can live in town so I can walk to everything, but not have to listen to constant noise, have peace and quiet, not have to look at a house/car/person when I open up my front (or back door) I am all ears.

We can cut off your ears and poke out your eyes at the Rough River fly in.

ps.. if you give me dibs on the Comanche, I'll find a way to let you know how great the video was.

nd none of this applies to the other refineries in the rest of the world? All of this still isn't "the government's capricious actions."
The 2 comments you mention here were merely replies to your questions concerning heating oil demand not accurate and how refineries can adjust quantities of finished products. Nothing more. As to overseas refinery operations I’m sure some are similar to US ops and some are not when it comes to adjusting refined product quantities. However, I do know that a number of refineries in the EU are having to shutdown due to high natural gas fuel costs as they must import all the fuel to run/operate the refinery. This only makes a bad problem worse in the EU as it costs them more to run the plant than what they can earn refining.

But with your continued use of “government's capricious actions” are you looking for an example of where the federal government has played a role in the current petroleum price increases?

The 2 comments you mention here were merely replies to your questions concerning heating oil demand not accurate and how refineries can adjust quantities of finished products. Nothing more. As to overseas refinery operations I’m sure some are similar to US ops and some are not when it comes to adjusting refined product quantities. However, I do know that a number of refineries in the EU are having to shutdown due to high natural gas fuel costs as they must import all the fuel to run/operate the refinery. This only makes a bad problem worse in the EU as it costs them more to run the plant than what they can earn refining.

But with your continued use of “government's capricious actions” are you looking for an example of where the federal government has played a role in the current petroleum price increases?
I was just tweaking at someone who posted something that read very much like it came from QAnon. They will probably claim that some mysterious group set the stage for the current Ukraine war so prices can be raised.

Your number aren't exactly that much "better".

I meant "better" as in "more accurate", i.e. not just assuming that electricity is free. That's kinda cheating. ;)

If you're going to be using averages, Tesla is not average. Average EV -- depending what you mean by average -- is around 3mi/kwh.

The EVs I've had - Five of them - Have been in the neighborhood of 4 mi/kWh. Technically, the Tesla is rated the highest at 4.2 and the Fusion Energi should have been the lowest, theoretically at 2.6... But I got around 4 out of it most of the time. I just had to drive it more gently than the Tesla!

If I guessed, I'd have told you the Bolt was the worst. I was wrong... Seems the plug-in hybrids don't do so hot. I guess hauling that engine around is bad for efficiency. ;)

Looking at the other non-Tesla BEVs I've had, though, they were both 118 MPGe which is 3.5 mi/kWh. So 3.5-4 seems like a reasonable range.

Back