"As God is my witness.... I thought turkeys could fly"

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I routinely read (online) the local newspaper of Winchester, Virginia, where I own some property. One of the more amusing sections is the "out of the past" column, in which stories from 100/75/50/25 years ago are repeated.

Imagine my delight to read this one today:
Winchester Star said:
The Betsy Ross Cafe and Capitol Theatre decided to drop a turkey from an airplane Wednesday afternoon in order that someone might have a choice bird for “Turkey Day.” Handley Field was the spot selected for the turkey to “land” and in order that the quarry might be more valuable, “trimmings” consisted of two tickets to the Capitol Theatre, a like number to the Colonial Theatre and two certificates for Turkey dinners at the Betsy Ross Cafe were tied to the bird.

Soaring over Handley Field, the pilot released the turkey. Instead of picking the field for a landing place, the bird headed over the Handley High School building and landed in a tree some distance away. Several scores of men, women and children pursued the bird but Robert Anderson proved himself the most agile. He scaled the tree, retrieved the turkey and started back to the ground.

About that time the landlady appeared, declared the turkey was hers because of it being on her property. Anderson protested and displayed the “trimmings” as evidence that the turkey was the one dropped from the airplane. Not satisfied with the evidence, the woman snatched the “trimmings,” and tore them up. Anderson returned home with the turkey minus the “trimmings”—the latter remained on the ground in the form of small bits of torn paper.- Nov. 28, 1931

http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/061129/Area_past.asp

All I could think about was the famous quote in the thread title...

And what's great is the imagery created by the radio folks. You could see it happening, without seeing it happening. Not bad for TV. Thanks.

Sadly, youtube may be the only way we see WKRP for a while. The music licencing costs for producing this classic show on DVD would be exorbitant. :(

Sadly, youtube may be the only way we see WKRP for a while. The music licencing costs for producing this classic show on DVD would be exorbitant. :(

If you notice most of the reruns out there today have had the music removed and replaced. Due to licensing issues.

I heard something about that. The holders of the WKRP rights don't want to sell DVDs that don't have the music - they're concerned (justifiably) that fans would react very negatively to the alterations.

I heard something about that. The holders of the WKRP rights don't want to sell DVDs that don't have the music - they're concerned (justifiably) that fans would react very negatively to the alterations.

Or that folks will re-edit the music back into the program...

Boy, the RIAA just keeps getting better and better.

Sooner or later, there's going to be a mass revolt.

Back