Arrow vs Trinnie

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I have Trinnie time, but there's a new arrow in town. No time in an Arrow, but I have about 60 hours in a Saratoga. What are the advantages of the Arrow?

Thanks, but that's not really my question. I guess I should add that the Arrow is about $20 per hour less. How is the ride? It has good equipment--about the same as the Trinnie. Is it really 20 kts slower? :(

Hmmm... 20 knots?

Well, I think you can easily achieve 140+ (a little) in a well-rigged Arrow.

Cruise speed for Trinidads is claimed at 160, but I have heard more like 156-ish.

So you have most of your 20 knots there... but (of course) you'll burn a lot more fuel for the increase, as well.

I guess you decide what the mission is- if it's "go far," rent the Trinnie, if it's "fly for flying's sake," then the Arrow's just dandy.

Ride's fine- the PA28 series are good airplanes. Tell us more about the Arrow- what year, etc., and we can home-in on a more detailed answer. And, of course, if we don't know, we can make stuff up.

Then, of course, you could find a Bonanza to rent, and really blow the curve. Next time you come to town to see your folks, I'll be glad to spoil you.

I'm coming! and THIS time, I will find you!

I'm coming! and THIS time, I will find you!

(quivers in abject terror)

Give some advance notice, so I can carve out time, maybe get a few pilot-knuckleheads together for a pilot-knucklehead meal.

We won't even make you fiddle for it. :cornut:

You're flown a Lance, if I recall correctly.

It's like a lightweight Lance.

Howzat?

Well ben can't say much about a Archer or Arrow but i LOVE my PA28-161 Warrior, and i figure they fly about the same. I've been to Gastons and Oshkosh in the warrior only thing i'd like to have is maybe more HP but that will come when it's time for overhaul ( will STC up to 180 HP). I do know the PA28 series fly nice and do nothing fancy or squirrelly, so my opinion is go fly it you'll like it.
Dave G

A good friend of mine had a 1976 Arrow II for about ten years before he bought his Bonanza. Nice plane, with no handling issues other than it is slow for a retract. My Tiger was even a little faster which annoyed the cr*p out of him, hence the upgrade to the Bo.

For $20 less an hour and good equipment, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Arrow. Plus it was made in Vero Beach.

1. Cheaper to rent than Trinidad, which you've already said.
2. Will be available more often than Trinidad because renters won't prang it up so much. (Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.)

I'm getting checked out in the Arrow now and liking it, Ben. It's no barn burner, however.

Last edited:
I'm sold. I think the checkout will be fun!

I would think the Trinidad would be more comfortable.

If you're going somewhere, the speed and comfort would argue for the Trinidad (IMHO only).

If you're just out goofing off in the air, hey, $20 is $20. Rent the Arrow.

I have no time in either. I have gawked at Trinidads on the ramp, and find them pretty impressive, at least on the ground. I have about 90hrs in Archers (fixed gear Arrows) and 40hrs in Seminoles (Twin Arrows), so I can tell you that an Arrow is kinda like a Chevy rental car with the upgraded option package (in that the gear folds). Not particularly memorable, but it'll get you where you're going.

I just don't want to be dissapointed when I make my mental comparisons to the Saratoga, hehe

Not that I am biased or anything but an Arrow is easy to fly, forgiving and burns 10-12GPH @130KTS. So damn simple, even a caveman can fly one!

Yes, I own one of them funny tailed arrows!!

Not that I am biased or anything but an Arrow is easy to fly, forgiving and burns 10-12GPH @130KTS. So damn simple, even a caveman can fly one!

Yes, I own one of them funny tailed arrows!!

really? 130 kts?

really? 130 kts?

Its not a Mooney. Don't expect much more than that. Like I said, my Tiger is faster. Good, solid, honest plane with no vices though.

Its not a Mooney. Don't expect much more than that. Like I said, my Tiger is faster. Good, solid, honest plane with no vices though.

oh no no, i was doubting that it could go that -fast- haha. the engine is so underpowered. The Trinnie does 155 effortlessly, and 160 if you aren't careful, haha.

oh no no, i was doubting that it could go that -fast- haha. the engine is so underpowered. The Trinnie does 155 effortlessly, and 160 if you aren't careful, haha.

Is it an Arrow II? They have the fuel injected 200 HP engine. Its not really underpowered, just a little bit of a draggy airframe. They are great complex trainers though, but you don't need that.

Seriously, its a great plane and will get you where you are going.

I have a bunch of time in both. If I were trying to get somewhere I'd go with the Trinidad any day. Love that airplane.

One difference I recall is that the TB-20 can sink more like a brick than the Arrow will. Best glide, 90 kts IIRC.

The Trinidad has a higher demonstrated crosswind component. Very good rudder authority. It can be flying when I wouldn't want to fly the Arrow.

I very much prefer the two doors of the Trinidad over the Arrow's one.

The Trinidad gets better performance, but you will pay for it.

my initial trinnie checkout i had to do the engine out three times (at my request). it drops faster than the saratoga!

Is it an Arrow II? They have the fuel injected 200 HP engine. Its not really underpowered, just a little bit of a draggy airframe. They are great complex trainers though, but you don't need that.

sounds good. This is a relatively new Arrow. I'm looking forward to flying it. :D

really? 130 kts?

At the right altitude (say, about 6500 MSL) on a standard (or close) day, 130 KIAS easy in a 200 hp 1969 PA-28R-200. BTDT.

My only problem with the Arrow is that 3 hours is about all my knees will take. Something about the angle of the seat? In any case, after about 3 hours it's all I can do to crawl out of it. But, it is a good complex trainer and I've got a little over 60 hours in one.

really? 130 kts?

oh no no, i was doubting that it could go that -fast- haha. the engine is so underpowered.

Not really. You probably can't carry as much as the Trinnie, but 200hp on a PA28 airframe is *plenty*.

FWIW, I have about 50 hours in an older Arrow III. It'll do 135 knots no problem.

Is it an Arrow II? They have the fuel injected 200 HP engine. Its not really underpowered, just a little bit of a draggy airframe.

Andy's is an Arrow IV I think, the T-tail variety. The rental IV here is a little faster than the III, it's more like 140 knots. Less drag with the tail out of the propwash.

PA28R-180 is the Arrow I. Hershey bar wing, 180hp, straight tail.
PA28R-200 is the Arrow II. Hershey bar, 200hp, straight tail.
PA28R-201 is the Arrow III. Tapered wing, 200hp, straight tail.
PA28RT-201 is the Arrow IV. Tapered wing, 200hp, T-tail.

There are also III and IV turbo models (PA28R-201T and PA28RT-201T, respectively).

The 1972 Arrow I flew routinely flew at 135kts TAS. We added STC wingtips, aileron and flap seals and the fairings behind the main gear pockets in the wing and got another 4 knots out of it.

We also re rigged the airplane which did alot to bring up the cruise speed.

The Trinidad is a nice looking airplane w/ a great interior / panel. Never flown one so I can't comment on the "ride".

Kent's breakdown and numbers are on track! My Arrow IV does 130+. Most Arrow II, III and IV can see these speeds if rigged properly.

For my Missions, 200-300NM trips, 2 -3 people, Stable IFR platform, inexpensive to own, I don't think you can beat an Arrow II, III or IV.

Your Mileage may vary :)

That's quite nice for an old design and 200 hp!

Back