Around the World in Four Legs

Sluggo63

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Sluggo63
It's not as cool as @Katamarino's trips, but I thought maybe someone might find this interesting.

Just got back from a work trip and went around the world eastbound. It's not untypical for us to circumnavigate the globe for work, but I think this might be the fewest amount of legs I ever did it in.
1. KMEM/MEM to LFPG/CDG
2. LFPG/CDG to WSSS/SIN
3. WSSS/SIN to RJBB/KIX
4. RJBB/KIX to KMEM/MEM

IMG_0061.PNG IMG_0062.PNG IMG_0063.PNG IMG_0065.PNG

I didn't know FedEx let you UPS guys fly into Memphis. :D

Q: elapsed time from takeoff KMEM to land KMEM?
Q: total flight time for same?

Q: elapsed time from takeoff KMEM to land KMEM?
Q: total flight time for same?
Good question.

We left MEM on 6 OCT 0349 and arrived back there on 12 OCT 0325. So, 145:19 block out to block in.

Total block time was 40:30.
1. MEM-CDG: 8:31
2. CDG-SIN: 13:32
3. SIN-KIX: 6:05
4. KIX-MEM: 12:22

I'm not quite sure what the actual airborne time was, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found the flight times easily enough.

City Pair | Flight Time | Block Time
1. MEM-CDG | 7:47 | 8:31
2. CDG-SIN | 12:52 | 13:32
3. SIN-KIX | 5:34 | 6:05
4. KIX-MEM | 11:52 | 12:22
Total | 38:05 | 40:30

Same aircraft the whole time or do you end up changing birds? 777 I assume?

2:25 of taxi over 4 legs.

jj.gif

40hrs in six days is fun once or twice. Brutal without breaks.

2:25 of taxi over 4 legs.

View attachment 111406
4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Same aircraft the whole time or do you end up changing birds? 777 I assume?
Different airplane each leg. The planes typically keep moving (at least the international ones... domestically, they tend to sit during the day). Yes, 777F.

40hrs in six days is fun once or twice. Brutal without breaks.
It really wasn't that bad. Long-ish layovers in Paris and Osaka (32:30 and 45:00). The crappy one was only 20:18 in SIN. The leg to CDG was single augmented. CDG-SIN and KIX-MEM were double-crewed, so plenty of rest during the flights. I would never turn down longer layovers though.

Cool trip. Thanks for including the ICAO codes. I don't like when pilots assume I know what part of the world KIX is but when you say RJBB i may not know what airport it is but I know where in the world it is.

Cool trip. Thanks for including the ICAO codes. I don't like when pilots assume I know what part of the world KIX is but when you say RJBB i may not know what airport it is but I know where in the world it is.

Also KIX is Kid Tested. Mother Approved.

Edit: Of course it was...

In 2018, the slogan was updated to "Kid-tested. Parent-approved" in order to avoid imposing traditional parenting roles.

Can the 777 fly that long, without scheduled mx downtime?
It can.

These planes are always under some maintenance. Pre- and post-flight service checks (oil, tires, brakes, etc.). If the next flight is an ETOPS flight, there's an ETOPS check to do. Then planes will undergo A, C and D checks on schedule, with the A check happening every 6-8 months and a D-check happening every 10 years or so.

And the B check? B? Bueller? Anyone?
I just fly ‘em, I don’t fix ‘em, but from what I understand these days the B check is combined with multiple A-checks. Like you do some B check stuff on A check number one, a little more on A check two, and so on until you have credit for the B check.

I just fly ‘em, I don’t fix ‘em, but from what I understand these days the B check is combined with multiple A-checks. Like you do some B check stuff on A check number one, a little more on A check two, and so on until you have credit for the B check.

So I assume there’s something similar to the 781?

So I assume there’s something similar to the 781?
There is. Each plane has a logbook where we can write up discrepancies. As of about a year ago, we ditched the paper logbook and do everything online now through an app.

The app has not replaced the eye roll from maintainers when they ask "are you going to put that in the book?" and I say "Yes."

Also KIX is Kid Tested. Mother Approved.

Edit: Of course it was...

In 2018, the slogan was updated to "Kid-tested. Parent-approved" in order to avoid imposing traditional parenting roles.
I learned something new today.

Back