Army Navy 2021

I think the Air Force might do a fly over, determine it’s boring, and head back to base.

Decorum for the game has evolved. This is from the inside cover of Sports Illustrated in December 1985, after Army beat Navy for the first time in 8 years. I am somewhere in the bottom picture.

Sports illustrated.jpg

Speaking of flyovers, Air Force and Navy buzzing the campus was a feature of game week back in the day. West Point is ideally situated for such flights because it is in a remote area and nobody is going to complain. High performance aircraft can scream down the Hudson River valley without any concerns about wires, bridges, etc. The campus juts into the river on an elevated plateau that makes it easy to skim the rooftops. F-111's used to blast over 50 feet above the barracks on full afterburners. Of course Army helos used to routinely show off with formation flyovers and landings on the parade field in front of the barracks.

I was later stationed in Colorado Springs and will concede AFA game day flyovers were the best. Nothing like seeing every combat aircraft in the current inventory in formation flight at 200 AGL. First time I saw a B2 stealth bomber was at an AFA game in the late 90's. That was a BFD, as it was still somewhat of a mystery aircraft.

USMA fly over.jpg

Last edited:
For no other reason except USAFA will share the C in C trophy, Go Army Beat Navy.

Cheers

For my 8 years of USMC service….Go Navy! Beat Army!

armynavyprogram1944__lg.jpg

I think you might have that backwards. Or do you NOT want AFA to share the CINC trophy?

If Navy wins, they get the Trophy. If Army wins, it’s a three way tie (I think)

But Navy does get major style points for their unis.

Cheers

If Navy wins, they get the Trophy. If Army wins, it’s a three way tie (I think)

But Navy does get major style points for their unis.

Cheers

You got it backwards. AF beat Navy but lost to Army.

Back