Armadillos (OT)

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
I have a few that are free to a good home. I hate to exterminate them so I'm looking for some grand ideas from folks in the know. We have been catching and releasing them but that is getting to be a bit of work. A fence buried three feet into the soil sounds like a great idea but that ain't in the budget at the moment.

Accepting great ideas for elimination and prevention? I do have an elimination tool but it would be rather rather noisy in the middle of the night and not my preferred method. :)

I have a few that are free to a good home. I hate to exterminate them so I'm looking for some grand ideas from folks in the know. We have been catching and releasing them but that is getting to be a bit of work. A fence buried three feet into the soil sounds like a great idea but that ain't in the budget at the moment.

Accepting great ideas for elimination and prevention? I do have an elimination tool but it would be rather rather noisy in the middle of the night and not my preferred method. :)

If all other ideas fail to work out, a subsonic .22 short fired from a bolt action rifle is surprisingly quiet. Still not suitable in all neighborhoods; you need to be very certain of your backstop.

What is the pronounciation? Is it arma-dill-o's, or is it arma-dee-o's?

If all other ideas fail to work out, a subsonic .22 short fired from a bolt action rifle is surprisingly quiet. Still not suitable in all neighborhoods; you need to be very certain of your backstop.

100% on the backstop! As far as the noise there's always this ...

Lotta armadillo recipes out there, but I think it is falling out of favor on account of the leprosy risk.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-armadillos-can-spread-leprosy-180954440/

I've been aware of the leprosy threat from the beginning and it's reported as fairly rare and easily treatable (but I ain't taking the risk).

As far as eating the thing I don't see me getting past the look of it ...
face-vomiting_1f92e.png

I’m told that a two liter soda bottle and a roll of duct tape makes it even more quiet. So I hear.

As prices for food increase and deliveries are delayed it might be time to view this as another the food source ... :D

Seriously: has anyone ever tried it?

I tried armadillo once when I was a kid back in the early 1970s. It was cooked by my Uncle Delbert, who was a connoisseur of a wide variety of wild game. As I recall it was pretty good.

I tried armadillo once when I was a kid back in the early 1970s. It was cooked by my Uncle Delbert, who was a connoisseur of a wide variety of wild game. As I recall it was pretty good.

I have heard that in some places just south of us that Armadillo is sometimes used to replace pork in recipes. Perhaps it's referred to as "Pulled Armadillo Barbecue" ... :D

Just as a word of caution, the 'dilla's tend to leap straight up about 3 feet when spooked, or "eliminated" via a high-velocity/possibly noisy metal projectile. It is quite entertaining. Until it leaps into the plastic grille of your new ride and takes out the flimsy aluminum radiator.

I kinda want an armadillo as a pet now

hey, crazy idea here. There’s these armadillos somewhere out southwest and @eman1200 wants one as a pet. Can we pilots move an armadilllo from where they are to…oh wait, we did that already.

Sorry I don't have any great suggestions for you. It sounds like you are already doing what I would be doing?

Do dogs help any?

I helped my late buddy clear out his hangar of these, but not until they did great damage tearing all the insulation out of the ceilings and walls.I caught 6 of them. I am not saying what I did with them...
IMG_48711.jpg

I think there's a few pilots n paws folk here who could probably bring you one.

As I noted in my OP, I have a few that are free to a good home ... but I don't deliver.

Would you consider an even trade for my porcupines?

Many years ago there was a study in Texas I think where they put stuffed armadillos by the side of the road and then counted how many people swerved to hit them. The surprising find was how many women swerved.

you actually think those swerves were armadillo-induced? :)
Ha! Similar sense of humor. My wife did not appreciate my joking that those women actually were doing their best to avoid the armadillo. :)

Many years ago there was a study in Texas I think where they put stuffed armadillos by the side of the road and then counted how many people swerved to hit them. The surprising find was how many women swerved.
Wow. There be some sick people there.

Back