Arion lightning pilots

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by Tony R, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tony R

Tony R Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Atrosa
    I spoke to a couple of Arion Lightning pilots and they say that it is a docile plane that likes to fly. Just manage the speed at landing and it is easy to fly.

Anyone else have seat time in an Arion Lightning? What are your thoughts?

2. zaitcev

zaitcev En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pete Zaitcev
    Lightning is rather rare.... I heard there were only 6 made before the production switched to LS-1. You aren't in New Mexico at Mid-Valley by any chance?

3. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Well, there's the Lightning Classic kit which isn't LSA compliant (130 knots cruise) and the Lightning LS-1 which is LSA compliant and is available as a factory built S-LSA or as an experimental E-LSA.

According to the Arion website there is a new model in the lineup, the XS, with a 160 hp or 180 hp/CS prop engine with cruise speeds of 150 and 170 knots respectively.

This Dan Johnson review of the Lightning LS-1 might be useful.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  4. Warmi

Warmi Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    As far as I know LSA-1 is what people refer to as Arion Lightning..

http://www.flylightning.net/ls-1.html

There are something like 150+ of them flying around.

5. zaitcev

zaitcev En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pete Zaitcev
    Thanks, I see what happened. My hangar mate had an Esqual, not LS-1. It had a slightly shorter wing than LS-1, so it was faster (before later Lightnings started coming with more powerful engines).

6. Tony R

Tony R Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Atrosa
    Hi Zaitcev,
    I'm in Connecticut. I spoke to "Buzz" Rich who has test piloted a number of Arion Lightning. (Side note: he is an awesome human being who spent a bunch of time on the phone with me discussing the Lightning) Buzz told me to be careful with the Esqual. They are very fast but they have issues with the firewall that should be addressed. The Esqual is very fast and a very capable plane, I think too fast and too capable for my 0 hours of experience.

I'm going to buy a plane because there are none to rent near me for my instruction. I will fly at least 3 days per week to avoid traffic... perhaps not a time saver, just a cool thing to do. So I want a plane that I won't out grow in 1 year.

-Tony