Areobatic Lessons

TWinter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TWinter
Aerobatic Lessons

Just a quick post.. I've been reading the POA aerobatic forums for a while. Just recently scheduled a three day course with Greg Koontz next month. Looking forward to it. I've heard it only takes a few aerobatic flights and you are hooked. Pretty excited and apprehensive at the same time. :yikes:

Last edited:
Good luck and have fun. I've been trying to set up some aero training here in the LA area, but have so far not had much luck. I found a guy who did aero training in a Citabria, but he and I never could get our schedules together. Need to keep trying.

Please remember to land right side up.

Good luck and have fun. I've been trying to set up some aero training here in the LA area, but have so far not had much luck. I found a guy who did aero training in a Citabria, but he and I never could get our schedules together. Need to keep trying.

Good luck at finding one. I'm sure there is somebody out your way. I've been wanting to give it a try for quite a while. Greg is also a dealer of Super Decathlons, if I really like it that could be a bad thing. First need to see if I can handle flying upside down:D

Please let me know how you like the lessons.
I am looking at doing that later this year.

There is a couple guys in KCMA with Pitts that do aero traing.

Go fly with Sean Tucker at Tutima Academy in Ca.

There is a couple guys in KCMA with Pitts that do aero traing.

I will check them out. Thanks.

Unfortunately, CMA is a 2 Hour drive from me. I guess I could fly, but since I rent that would add about $200 total cost. Trying to keep the costs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't do it, unless you want a new habit that makes crack cocaine look like a trip to the dollar store.

10384359_10152564990195303_706205069037879611_n_zps244cfac6.jpg

Wouldn't change a thing!

'Gimp

Don't do it, unless you want a new habit that makes crack cocaine look like a trip to the dollar store.

10384359_10152564990195303_706205069037879611_n_zps244cfac6.jpg

Wouldn't change a thing!

'Gimp

I think I've seen some of your videos you've posted. Looks awesome!

Thanks.

If you want to get a sense for what to expect, here is the flight that ruined me for life.

Extra 300L with airshow performer and instructor Chuck Coleman, over Mojave Air and Spaceport a couple years ago.

Skip to about 3:30 for the fun stuff but the takeoff was impressive.

Here is Chuck flying me through a series of maneuvers including a Lomcevak (excellent by the way).

Have fun, and as soon as you are feeling uneasy let the instructor pilot know ASAP, you don't usually bounce back, especially on your first few flights, and cleaning up a cockpit is nasty (or so I have been told).

'Gimp

Last edited:
And here is how I was doing a couple months later flying the 2012 IAC Sportsman Sequence

'Gimp

I will check them out. Thanks.

Unfortunately, CMA is a 2 Hour drive from me. I guess I could fly, but since I rent that would add about $200 total cost. Trying to keep the costs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunrise Aviation at SNA has Citabria, Decathalons, Pitts S2B and Extra 300. And they can all be rented solo. 5G Aviation is also at SNA, They are an American Champion dealer and usually have a brand new Decathalon on the line. Don

I second AG's warning. It is addictive :)

Two more days until intro to acro training. Only problem...weather looks pretty sad in Gadsden, AL for Sun-Wed. Go figure....

Gadsden? Is that where you live? I worked in that area about 10 years ago. Had a lot of fun poking around places like Moontown, Pell City, and Guntersville airports.

Areobatics? Is that doing tricks with nipples? :lol:

You'll have fun and learn more about what a plane can do and how to manage its energy in the first hour than you have to date.

Gadsden? Is that where you live? I worked in that area about 10 years ago. Had a lot of fun poking around places like Moontown, Pell City, and Guntersville airports.

Nope, don't live there..I'm going to be taking some lessons from Greg Koontz. That's where his school is based. I'm in Dyersburg, TN, only about hour and half flight from Greg's place.

Areobatics? Is that doing tricks with nipples? :lol:

You'll have fun and learn more about what a plane can do and how to manage its energy in the first hour than you have to date.

Okay..:lol: So you have never made a typo?. Aerobatics..knew that college education would pay-off some day. Just not 50 yrs later.:wink2:

Well did you get any flying in? Or reschedule?
Lousy weather around here unless you like imc.

I really think that if you taught basic aerobatics before you taught landings, things would go much smoother.

I really think that if you taught basic aerobatics before you taught landings, things would go much smoother.

I agree with this one of the reasons I went with my CFI that I am getting my private from is because he offered aerobatics. My confidence as a Pilot increases with each lesson and it really helped me stop being afraid of the airplane.

I agree with this one of the reasons I went with my CFI that I am getting my private from is because he offered aerobatics. My confidence as a Pilot increases with each lesson and it really helped me stop being afraid of the airplane.

Wouldn't be John B would it? I took IFR training from him. He is the best CFI I have ever met.

Yes indeed it would. And I agree with you he is a fantastic cfi

Sounds like great fun! I plan to get my tailwheel endorsement and some acro training in the future. Would be great to fly a Pitts or Extra!

Got weathered out that week..sucks. With summer and Osh approaching I'm rescheduling for fall. Disappointed, but "Can't stop the rain" and the "Show must go on". So sometime in the fall. I will post updates.

-Tom

Been in touch with Catherine for some Aerobatic training in an Aerobat. Trying to get R done by the end of the month. Delmar is patiently waiting to show me his stuff. :hairraise:

http://www.aceaerobaticschool.com/

Attachments

• Hangar Picture.jpg
    Hangar Picture.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I'm a newbie on the board who just saw these posts. It made me think of many years ago when we flew aerobatics in a Citabria. We also had a Decathlon later, which was more fun, but then one day a factory rep showed up to demo the company plane, also a Decathlon. I remember telling him I could do all the inside stuff but had never gone outside. Would he demo outside stuff? Sure, he said, c'mon, let's go. The outside loops were great, but then he asked if I wanted to see a lomcevak. Will this plane DO a lomcevak? I asked. The demo guy said the Decathlon wouldn't win any contests, but it would at least stagger through one. The demo pilot -- a real nice guy too -- needed to get back home in a hurry and iced up on his way back to the factory when he tried to slip in underneath weather. Sadly, the Decathlon went in inverted and the fellow was killed. I do not remember if he was IFR-rated but it likely wouldn't have mattered much -- the plane had only basic navaids in it.

The demo guy said the Decathlon wouldn't win any contests, but it would at least stagger through one.

Oh they sure will win contests. :) A Decathlon has won IAC Nationals in the Sportsman category the last two years straight. Not possible in the higher categories of course. As far as tumbles (Lomcevaks) go, they will sorta do a crude one. Keep doing them, and expect leaky fuel tanks. $$$

That is a maneuver I surely don't understand... Lomcevaks. :) I just found out a snap roll at too high a speed isn't good for the Aerobat. I think those will be OUT on mine, as in, I'm not doing them.

That is a maneuver I surely don't understand... Lomcevaks. :) I just found out a snap roll at too high a speed isn't good for the Aerobat. I think those will be OUT on mine, as in, I'm not doing them.

I don't think the Cessna aerobat was designed for snap rolls or tumbles.

I understand snaps are in the Aerobat POH, but of course you can damage any aerobatic airplane by doing snaps from too high an entry airspeed. Aerobats actually snap pretty well.

I would have never thought about doing a snap in a Cessna... Maybe I should go snap my 172 and see how it works :)

You guys..... :) Too funny

A friend was telling me that Bill Kershner did not allow anyone to snap roll his Aerobat and he only did them at a slow speed himself. If I can do them safely, sobeit. I just don't want to HURT old Delmar. LOL I wanna spend a lotta years with him in the sky !! Yeeeehaaaa !!

I'd be afraid to roll most of the airplanes I rent. So much crap would fly up from the floor that it would go IFR in the cockpit.

JK. The airplanes are actually pretty clean.

I'd be afraid to roll most of the airplanes I rent. So much crap would fly up from the floor that it would go IFR in the cockpit.

Luckily the easiest way to roll any airplane also keeps the dirt firmly in place on the floor. ;)

Back