Areas with Active GA Community

Avoid Florida. Gators will eat your dog and mosquitoes will eat you. Much too crowded, too. And I won’t even mention the debilitating heat. Terrible place for retirement.

And it’s awful for general aviation. Aside from a small airport every 10 miles, more lakes and seaplane bases than you can count, nearby destinations like the Keys and the Bahamas, being home to Piper and a few seaplane manufacturers, several warbird museums, year-round flyable weather, and hosting Sun-n-Fun every spring, Florida has nothing to offer the aviation enthusiast.

Did I mention that it’s too crowded here?

Maybe you should consider either southern North Dakota or northern South Dakota, depending on which climate you prefer.
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

It is a long way from here to the 6Y9 fly in.

Interesting. I plan to be as involved as they will let me be at FFC. I met Hope (Airport Manager) a few weeks ago and I plan to start attending the Airport Board Meetings once we get moved in. As you can see in my Profile, I'm committed to solving the hangar problem throughout the state of Georgia and the southeast. I'll keep the group posted.

I'll be interested to hear what your experience is like. All my information is second-hand (though documented), so it my be biased due to personality conflicts with the source. All I know is that there seems to be a constant demand for hangars all over the area yet for some reason new ones are rarely built at any of the local airports.

Where? Octane? That would be sweet!

It's the Pit Stop on 74, I can't remember the octane.

I flew out of HMP when I lived in Georgia, its a great airport, management it is great, and its one of the most inviting to GA I have ever worked with, but its kinda in the middle of nowhere. I was living in south Fulton at the time, looking to move closer to my airplane and I was having trouble finding a rental that was near HMP. Having said that, I hope they fixed those hangars after the storm a couple years ago, I heard rumors that they were not going to.

i lived, flew, and taught in the vibrant Colorado aviation community for 20 years. There are so many things I miss since moving, but that community is Number 1 on the list,

In the last 4 years I've been based at airports in MT, NV, MN, CO, and now WY. Reno-Stead (RTS) had by far and away the most active GA Community I'd ever seen. MN was the worst and most unwelcoming to outsiders.

I was in Pennsylvania this morning, passed by a town named Cessna. That sounds pretty aviation friendly.

Nobody has mentioned Cameron Park? It's a Piper service center no less, and home to Julie Clark.

Believe it or not, we retired to New Hampshire. There are a lot of good GA airports around and lots of good places to fly in the spring, summer and fall. Winter is a different story, we park the plane and have annuals and upgrades done over those 3 months.

As far as the community, my home base is KCON and I find it to be a very friendly place. We know lots of folks we met on the ramp and it's a nice small airport field. During the flying season, there are folks on this forum who get together once in a while and agree to meet up.

Hangar space is a different story though. In this area, there are waiting lists at every field. Summer time for us is a tie down spot, winter is a community hangar or it's in the shop for annual. WX during the flying months is pretty good. Sometimes we get socked in for a week or so but for example, we are having an omega block situation and high pressure has been stalled over us for more than a week so it's severe clear.

Every place is going to have its plusses and minuses.

It's the Pit Stop on 74, I can't remember the octane.

I flew out of HMP when I lived in Georgia, its a great airport, management it is great, and its one of the most inviting to GA I have ever worked with, but its kinda in the middle of nowhere. I was living in south Fulton at the time, looking to move closer to my airplane and I was having trouble finding a rental that was near HMP. Having said that, I hope they fixed those hangars after the storm a couple years ago, I heard rumors that they were not going to.

They have a spanking new FBO building now, too!

Back