Area of high pressure and visibility

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Awhile back I posted my experience had always been that highs produce good vis. Y'all reminded me I should get back east to see what it's really like. Yet see how this dome of high pressure correlates with the only clear sky in the entire nation and a relative lack of inclement wx.

Is it because it's winter and the lifted index is low? (as compared to the eastern US summertime highs producing low vis in HZ.)

EDIT: I notice the 4 panel prog chart is updating its itself. It is currently not what I originally posted.

ll_12_4_cl_new.gif

Last edited:
IME High pressure typically clears out the area, regardless of season. I dont think lifted index matters as it usually works the same in the summer here. Plus the cold front passage and high pressure typically associated with it make for excellent soaring conditions!

Good weather with a High Pressure system? Certianly....

Good vis? Ummm, not in the east. To me good vis is 5-7 miles (typical Georgia summer vis) but to those out west it is 20 miles.

In the East, high pressure, good weather brings haze.

I've found, the poorer the weather, the better the vis. Poor weather generally comes with lows. Just IME, both in the east and the southwest.

well i guess it does here too, eventually. typical weather pattern is a cold front blows through with probably some rain or snow. in the summer, after a few days, the temps and humidity rise to the point where there is decent haze, but still 10+ mile visibility. In the winter, it stays pretty much crystal clear until the next frontal passage, probably due to the extreme lack of moisture in the atmosphere.

Good vis? Ummm, not in the east. To me good vis is 5-7 miles (typical Georgia summer vis) but to those out west it is 20 miles.

Clear WX in highs here in the Pac NW too, cold temps in winter & hot in summer. The not unusual temp inversion can trap haze and reduce visibilty inversely proportional to its duration.

I think the difference is the moisture in the air. High pressure in the SE in the summer = haze machine. In the winter, there just isn't enough moisture to form have. Temp/dewpoint spread.

Also, the SE can have a lot of TS on the backside of a high in the summer, especially if the dreaded Bermuda high/omega block sets up.

hmmm, dunno ... but looking out my window right now all I see is freakin' snow... snow on the ground, snow in the air, snow in the clouds, snow snow snow as far as the eye can see... vis about 2 miles now...

Going stinkin' stir crazy here ... got cabin fever real bad...

Did I mention I used to like snow?

The high here in the PWN is doing NOTHING for flying. Looking out the window all I see is FOG. Yesterday was beautiful, today I wouldn't taxi. Doesn't matter, I'm stuck in the office.

The high here in the PWN is doing NOTHING for flying. Looking out the window all I see is FOG. Yesterday was beautiful, today I wouldn't taxi. Doesn't matter, I'm stuck in the office.

It's crystal clear in north Seattle...
working on the ground here too.

hmmm, dunno ... but looking out my window right now all I see is freakin' snow... snow on the ground, snow in the air, snow in the clouds, snow snow snow as far as the eye can see... vis about 2 miles now...

Going stinkin' stir crazy here ... got cabin fever real bad...

Did I mention I used to like snow?
Greg, I like your new truck. :D

We have snow falling again and I spent part of the afternoon shoveling the new snow from the front of the hangar. At least the snow hides some of those fallen tree branches we need to pick up from the ice storm.

Snowing here too.

Runways at the Farm going to be open anytime soon Diana?

Runways at the Farm going to be open anytime soon Diana?
Well, we finally got the Citabria out Monday afternoon. There were clumps of slush and ice I had to taxi through and I had to take off and land on the edges of the runway. Got mud all over the Citabria, but she liked it. :D We flew around and checked out all our friends' grass strips and felt fortunate since ours was the only one usable in this area...till now.

Don't know long it will take this new batch of snow to melt off. It may be not till next week. Dangit. Were you guys thinking of coming down?

Greg, I like your new truck. :D

We have snow falling again and I spent part of the afternoon shoveling the new snow from the front of the hangar. At least the snow hides some of those fallen tree branches we need to pick up from the ice storm.

80 degrees here and sunny. :D

Chris

Well, we finally got the Citabria out Monday afternoon. There were clumps of slush and ice I had to taxi through and I had to take off and land on the edges of the runway. Got mud all over the Citabria, but she liked it. :D We flew around and checked out all our friends' grass strips and felt fortunate since ours was the only one usable in this area...till now.

Don't know long it will take this new batch of snow to melt off. It may be not till next week. Dangit. Were you guys thinking of coming down?

thinking about it, I havent talked to Chris lately about it. This weekend is definitely out, next weekend im in Memphis, weekend after that Im going to Rockford. So I guess we are looking at the 24th weekend. If chris can get the RV and get free.

Tom, out here 20 is MVFR. :rolleyes:

Tom, out here 20 is MVFR. :rolleyes:

LOL..thanks a lot! Like I said, during my training I initially had a 10 mile viz limit and I almost could NEVER fly. It eventually went to 7, than 5, and then to minimums.

LOL..thanks a lot! Like I said, during my training I initially had a 10 mile viz limit and I almost could NEVER fly. It eventually went to 7, than 5, and then to minimums.

Gets under 50 and I start feeling claustrophobic. I like to see Mt. Rainier clearly, and it's about 48.75 nm from my house. :D

Back