Area 760 as MFD

Nick Geber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NIckG
Is anyone using an Aera 760 as an MFD? I have a GDL52 and a G175. The G175 cant connect to the GDL53 but the 760 can. It seems with a hard wired connection to the G175 a 760 would work as an extension of the 175 with the auto flight plan sharing turned on. I’d get terrain and traffic warnings not eh 760 as well as audible warnings if I route the audio through the panel. Any one else using one in this manner? Love to know how it works for you.

I use an Aera 660, the smaller version. An iPad mini would be higher tech, but those Aera units can be super hot in the sun and never overheat.

I use an Aera 660, the smaller version. An iPad mini would be higher tech, but those Aera units can be super hot in the sun and never overheat.
Yes, I have a 660 and sits on the right side of the panel - too small really to be of any use. I just use it as a full time traffic monitor. I use an ipad mini attached to a yoke mount running Garmin Pilot. What I'm not crazy bout is 1) ipad overheats 2) I have to manually send and receive flight plans to and from the ipad. The Aera 660 is hard wired to the G175 so sort of acts like an extension of the G175 - buts its really too small to be of any use.

I think it would be worth trying the 760.

On the iPad you may be able to set it to auto-sync with the GPS175. I know Garmin Pilot can do this, possibly Foreflight as well.

On the iPad you may be able to set it to auto-sync with the GPS175. I know Garmin Pilot can do this, possibly Foreflight as well.
That was be really useful... going to check it now!

Sadly, the option is not available....

So your 760 would be hard wired to you G 175 and at the same time get ADSB In from your GDL 52? Will the 760 be able to talk to two devices at once like that?

So your 760 would be hard wired to you G 175 and at the same time get ADSB In from your GDL 52? Will the 760 be able to talk to two devices at once like that?
Yes, from what Garmin told me it can have hard wired connection and Bluetooth at the same time. Its the same as the aera 660 thats in there now.

Reactions: WDD
Looks like my Garmin Pilot will only auto-sync with the GTN GNS series:

edit: The GPS175 May do auto as well. I know you can manually do it with two clicks.

8DB57EDE-B4AE-45E0-AAB8-E6BBBEC16165.jpeg

I recently panel mounted my 760 and hard wired it my GPS 400W for flight plan sharing and to a GDL 39 for ADS-B in. I Bluetooth from the 760 to the 400W via a FS210 to send flight plans to the 400W. The hardwire to the GPS only allow GPS-->760 sharing; the Bluetooth connection allows me to share FPs from the 760 to the GPS.

Overall, I like the setup and I do treat the 760 as a MFD. There is a ton of functionality, the unit is robust and the display bright. Screen size is decent, but I do find myself having to zoom in for clearer details. Never had an issue with it picking up GPS signals. Flight log, however, is very basic - I would not treat it as an electronic logbook as there is no way to categorize the hours. I especially like being able to use a big touch screen to enter flight plan info and send it to the 400W. Sure beats the knob twisting. Being able to draw holding patterns at any waypoint is really nice.

There are a lot of idiosyncrasies when you do FP sharing and I am still figuring it all out. One big idiosyncrasy to keep in mind is that when the 760 is receiving FP via a serial port, it automatically gives you the option to use an internal FP (i.e, use what's in the 760) or external FP (use what it is getting from the GPS). So, if your 760 is following the GPS flight plan (i.e., in "external" mode) and you want to update the GPS FP via the 760 you must a) set the mode to "internal", which allows you to edit the FP, b) do the edits, c) send it to the GPS, and d) accept the new flight plan from the GPS (which means you go back to "external" mode). To draw a holding pattern, you have to go through the "mode" switching process too.

The thing with the FP mode is that the 760 doesn't allow you to edit a FP while in "external" mode. I haven't tried updating FPs from a 3rd unit (i.e., an iPad running FF or GP) but I suspect you won't have to do the mode thing as you're not interacting with the 760. iPad sends the GPS your flight plan, accept it in the GPS, the GPS automatically sends to the 760 where you accept again.

I'm really trying to figure out the 760/GPS FP sharing as I want to use my 760 as my primary MFD interface and use my iPad only as a back-up.

D-> also had its quirks, and I am still on that learning curve. Garmin says you can't share D-> from the 760-->GPS but the GPS does seem to accept a D-> from the 760. Still learning.

My learning curve has been slow as to do all the above I have to be up in the air. I don't know of a way to simulate on the ground. So, I deliberately plan a learning session when I want to check something out. It really helps when you lay out what all you want to do, then see how the system reacts. Of course, you do these learning sessions VFR and a safety pilot helps reduce the flying workload allowing you to focus on learning how the navigation systems reacts.

Would be interested in how others use their panel mounted 760 and any tips or tricks you may have learned.

Oh, and I do route the 760 audio through my audio panel via a dedicated aux channel (as I can control on/off and volume easily through the 760). Nice.

Last edited:
I recently panel mounted my 760 and hard wired it my GPS 400W for flight plan sharing and to a GDL 39 for ADS-B in. I Bluetooth from the 760 to the 400W via a FS210 to send flight plans to the 400W. The hardwire to the GPS only allow GPS-->760 sharing; the Bluetooth connection allows me to share FPs from the 760 to the GPS.

Overall, I like the setup and I do treat the 760 as a MFD. There is a ton of functionality, the unit is robust and the display bright. Screen size is decent, but I do find myself having to zoom in for clearer details. Never had an issue with it picking up GPS signals. Flight log, however, is very basic - I would not treat it as an electronic logbook as there is no way to categorize the hours. I especially like being able to use a big touch screen to enter flight plan info and send it to the 400W. Sure beats the knob twisting. Being able to draw holding patterns at any waypoint is really nice.

There are a lot of idiosyncrasies when you do FP sharing and I am still figuring it all out. One big idiosyncrasy to keep in mind is that when the 760 is receiving FP via a serial port, it automatically gives you the option to use an internal FP (i.e, use what's in the 760) or external FP (use what it is getting from the GPS). So, if your 760 is following the GPS flight plan (i.e., in "external" mode) and you want to update the GPS FP via the 760 you must a) set the mode to "internal", which allows you to edit the FP, b) do the edits, c) send it to the GPS, and d) accept the new flight plan from the GPS (which means you go back to "external" mode). To draw a holding pattern, you have to go through the "mode" switching process too.

The thing with the FP mode is that the 760 doesn't allow you to edit a FP while in "external" mode. I haven't tried updating FPs from a 3rd unit (i.e., an iPad running FF or GP) but I suspect you won't have to do the mode thing as you're not interacting with the 760. iPad sends the GPS your flight plan, accept it in the GPS, the GPS automatically sends to the 760 where you accept again.

I'm really trying to figure out the 760/GPS FP sharing as I want to use my 760 as my primary MFD interface and use my iPad only as a back-up.

D-> also had its quirks, and I am still on that learning curve. Garmin says you can't share D-> from the 760-->GPS but the GPS does seem to accept a D-> from the 760. Still learning.

My learning curve has been slow as to do all the above I have to be up in the air. I don't know of a way to simulate on the ground. So, I deliberately plan a learning session when I want to check something out. It really helps when you lay out what all you want to do, then see how the system reacts. Of course, you do these learning sessions VFR and a safety pilot helps reduce the flying workload allowing you to focus on learning how the navigation systems reacts.

Would be interested in how others use their panel mounted 760 and any tips or tricks you may have learned.

Oh, and I do route the 760 audio through my audio panel via a dedicated aux channel (as I can control on/off and volume easily through the 760). Nice.
Fantastic response! I’ve tried some of this with my area 660 today which is hard wired to my G175. Unfortunately I was solo and the 660 is in front of the right seat ainIncouldnt really try as many features out as I wanted.
As to the two step FP back and forth, that’s how it is using GP on an iPad when I’m connected to the G175 via connext

I am having trouble with my 760 doing flight plan transfers to/from my 650 with FS-510. It is connected, but the when you go to the flight plan transfer, the buttons are greyed out.

I am having trouble with my 760 doing flight plan transfers to/from my 650 with FS-510. It is connected, but the when you go to the flight plan transfer, the buttons are greyed out.

If you are going from 760-->GPS you need to be in "internal" mode for the Connext button to be enabled. There is a button at the top of the FP page to switch FP modes.

Thanks. It doesn't seem to want to transfer either way.

No problems transferring with my iPad and FF. I haven't tried Garmin Pilot

Others things to check.

FP Sharing GPS --> 760:
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Interface and check to see it recognizes the 650 and you have the right protocol.
    • In the 760, make sure the port connected to the 650 has MapMX selected as the protocol.
    • On the 650, make sure the port connected to the 760 has MapMX selected as the out protocol.
    • If you have a GDL 39 or GDL 5x hardwired to the 760, I've read it's best to use Port 1 for the GDL and Port 2 for the FP sharing.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Data Link to see if you are connected to your panel GPS.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Connect and make sure you have FP transfer enabled.
FP Sharing 760 --> GPS
  • Ensure you have a Bluetooth connection between the 760 and the 650 (Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Interface).
  • If not, you'll need to pair the devices. (Main Menu > Tools > Setup>Bluetooth) Make sure the 650 is in paring mode before trying to pair the 760 to the 650.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Data Link to see if you are connected to the FS510.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Connect and make sure you have FP transfer enabled.

I spent gazmillions with Garmin previously, doing a dual GPS setup with an MX20 and then a GMX200. This combined with autopilot / altitude preselect , stormscope and XM weather and HSI setup prior to G5/GI275s being a thing. This was before I bought a Paint and Avionics shop…

Adjusted for inflation, some of Garmin’s prices have gone up between 30-60% for similar radios.

While my friend Don and I can argue about the different functionality between a 760 and a 750txi setup, a 760 makes a fine piece of equipment as an MFD. between displaying traffic, obtaining weather and quickly getting airport info including awos / asos / atis.

I have customers that enjoy 3 screen MFD’s with failure mode, Dynon or otherwise…and a boatload that like picking up G500’s. I tend to think a kitten does every time someone blows $100k on a Garmin panel in a single engine plane, but I’m biased.

Unless I want to impersonate an airline pilot, want to keep up with the joneses, etc…a 760 is perfectly fine tool hardwired to a GDL39 or a GDL5x.

Others things to check.

FP Sharing GPS --> 760:
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Interface and check to see it recognizes the 650 and you have the right protocol.
    • In the 760, make sure the port connected to the 650 has MapMX selected as the protocol.
    • On the 650, make sure the port connected to the 760 has MapMX selected as the out protocol.
    • If you have a GDL 39 or GDL 5x hardwired to the 760, I've read it's best to use Port 1 for the GDL and Port 2 for the FP sharing.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Data Link to see if you are connected to your panel GPS.
FP Sharing 760 --> GPS
  • Ensure you have a Bluetooth connection between the 760 and the 650 (Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Interface).
  • If not, you'll need to pair the devices. (Main Menu > Tools > Setup>Bluetooth) Make sure the 650 is in paring mode before trying to pair the 760 to the 650.
  • Go to Main Menu > Tools > Data Link to see if you are connected to the FS510.

Did this and still won't talk.

I need to go out the airport, plug in external power and call Garmin.

It also shows about 5 degrees nose high in level flight. I was at Mooney Max and mentioned this to Garmin person, she said it may have been set for a tail wheel aircraft, so it initializes off, but I don't see a setting for that.

Ive done it with my 796. Makes for a great MFD but you do need to reset pitch/roll sometimes I think the 796 and the 760 are very underated. They are always readable and never overheat and can be connected to things. I had mne strapped to the garmin com to load frequencies. I plan to panel mount one in my Colt when I get to that point.

I have a panel mounted 760 hardwired to an Avidyne IFD for route data and sync, and also hardwired to a GDL 50R for traffic, weather, and backup attitude. The auto route data sync is IFD to 760 only - I don't need it the other way.

The 760 is really nice as an MFD. Curved flight paths show up via MapMX format along with all the other things the 760 can do. It is a "poor man's" TXI. I use an iPad for preflight planning, the 760 stays in the panel except for data updates.

Back