Are you night current?

Are you night current?

• Yes

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 81 64.3%

• Total voters
If you were bent on doing it without a CFI, start at dusk and keep doing touch&go's until it turns dark then make the last 3 landings to a full stop

Well, the landings have to be at least an hour after official sunset or an hour before official sunrise. So he's gonna be doing them at least an hour after dark before they count.

Noise abatement procedures here put a damper on night currency during summer since it doesn't become night till fairly late on, even in Los Angeles.
For sure. I find it crazy that a single engine piston GA is no bueno .. I can say with confidence that the 737s that land and takeoff every few minutes deep into the night over Little Italy and Point Loma cause much more noise that a departing 172

But it is what it is, and yes, one more reason why night currency, esp in summer, is a challenge

summer time it is difficult to stay current. after labor day it seems to get easier for me

Some of my favorite flights were at night. It's quieter, smoother and even the average-size towns look like Vegas all lit up.

Almost always night current. If the airplane was apart for several months I purposefully go night flying and beat the pattern to death, all the landings wear out tires lol.

Many trips end with a night landing at home base.

No. Flying at night in Alaska in a single engine aircraft is not my idea of fun..:rolleyes:

Try it on a clear night with a full moon and lots of snow on the ground. Up on the north slope it is almost like daytime.

I love flying at night, so I've convinced my wife that it's just something you have to do as a pilot so she won't hassle me when I go out late to fly. :)

Although my last 3 night landings were before 6am, so that's another way to do it.....

About 10% of my total hours are at night (80 hours). But haven't flown any since selling the Tiger and getting the RV.

I make it a point to not worry about DAY currency. If I'm nearing a currency lapse, I go out at night and do 7-10 takeoffs and landings. I tend to get plenty of daytime takeoffs and landings that I could be day current much longer but, if I'm ALWAYS night current, I don't have to worry about day currency at all!

Last edited:
A CFI acting as PIC can take a student or licensed pilot out for their night training and NOT be current. As the CFI and student/pilot are both required crew members it is legal. Night currency only pertains to carrying passengers 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise.

Back