Are you flying drones yet?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste

For Customers In The USA.
Legislation is passed finally!!! This requires the FAA to implement the use of UAV's into the national airspace system. We can plan for future flights to take place once it is implemented.

A new federal law, signed by the president on Tuesday February 14, 2012 compels the Federal Aviation Administration to allow drones to be used for all sorts of commercial endeavors from selling real estate and dusting crops, to monitoring oil spills and wildlife, wind farm inspection of turbines, even shooting Hollywood films. Local police and emergency services will also be freer to send up their own drones for search and rescue operations with U.A.V. Drones and more.

H.AMDT.220 to H.R.658 Amendment directs the FAA to work with various federal agencies to integrate Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV's) into the National Airspace System more expeditiously and ensures that all safety studies are carried out as necessary to support such integration.

So, they can't fly ifr.

They can't use 'see and be seen'.....so vfr is out when it comes to traffic avoidance.

Could this mean the use of airspace restrictions to keep all others out of the airspace that they are interested in?

Last edited:
Well, guess GA is dead now.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with these things flying around homes, businesses, sporting events, airports, cities, etc.? They're so small, they're cute! I think you all are making a big deal out of nothing. Why, I'll bet the "pilots" of these thing have to have at least a few hours of serious gaming experience before getting behind the joystick.

We're screwed.

But hey, at least you will now have someone to sue when you get into a midair with these things. You can't sue birds, you know.

hpx170_helicam.jpg

Well, guess GA is dead now.

No such thing, this is where GA is going as well as commercial aviation. Y'all think I'm nuts when I say the system is heading to autonomy, but that's what all this leads to, and the bone you're gonna be thrown is that you'll be able to use lower cost non certified avionics if you re-certify into a non commercial category under discussion but yet to be named.

No such thing, this is where GA is going as well as commercial aviation. Y'all think I'm nuts when I say the system is heading to autonomy, but that's what all this leads to, and the bone you're gonna be thrown is that you'll be able to use lower cost non certified avionics if you re-certify into a non commercial category under discussion but yet to be named.

How is GA heading towards drones? People won't be flying airplanes anymore, therefore, GA will die.

How is GA heading towards drones? People won't be flying airplanes anymore, therefore, GA will die.

ALL of aviation is heading towards an autonomous system. GA will still exist and you'll need to upgrade your avionics for full use of the airspace outside G.

ALL of aviation is heading towards an autonomous system. GA will still exist and you'll need to upgrade your avionics for full use of the airspace outside G.

I don't think the AOPA/FAA will let that go.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with these things flying around homes, businesses, sporting events, airports, cities, etc.? They're so small, they're cute! I think you all are making a big deal out of nothing. Why, I'll bet the "pilots" of these thing have to have at least a few hours of serious gaming experience before getting behind the joystick.

We're screwed.

But hey, at least you will now have someone to sue when you get into a midair with these things. You can't sue birds, you know.

hpx170_helicam.jpg
The guy who put up the site is a commercial pilot. It looks like he doesn't really have drones because he indicates his drones are operated from the ground by line-of-sight. Sounds like regular RC to me. But we can all dream.

Soon there will be so much crap flying around you won't want to try and take your plane through it all. We have birds of course, now drones, RC helicopters, and on another thread, guys flying around flapping huge wings, hang gliders, powered parachutes, balloons, blimps, soon coming from New Zealand, personal jet contraptions, Jr rocket men, amateur rocketeers, why there will even be other airplanes braving the gauntlet before they wise up.

G A is operating on borrowed time.

-John

Too close for missiles, switching to guns!

Wonderful, should be lots of fun watching for those things.

Soon there will be so much crap flying around you won't want to try and take your plane through it all. We have birds of course, now drones, RC helicopters, and on another thread, guys flying around flapping huge wings, hang gliders, powered parachutes, balloons, blimps, soon coming from New Zealand, personal jet contraptions, Jr rocket men, amateur rocketeers, why there will even be other airplanes braving the gauntlet before they wise up.

-John

Thats kinda what I meant by GA dying.

Yeah, once we start having collisions with those things there will be UAV restriction zones, and those'll get bigger and bigger until the only place to fly is the middle of Alaska.

Thats kinda what I meant by GA dying.

Ya But, I splained it better, so there. :D

Sorry Greg, I didn't mean to step on your toes, I just didn't pick up on what you said, or it was late and I was tired. This is one of those situations where I am going to use my old and stupid card and hope I get away with it. :redface:

-John

When I was flying with an instructor out in the Arizona desert, most of the time they hardly concerned themselves with clearing turns. For me after training in San Diego's congested and chopped up by Bravo air space, it felt almost weird having the whole sky to myself. Approaching large paved runways like the one in Needles, with nobody, I mean nobody, around.

In San Diego, I have had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid bumping into guys who have their heads buried in their cockpits. I had one guy come so close my instructor said we could have counted the rivets in his 172. That one I had been watching while he made a great sweeping circle across the sky, so it was a non event. He had his chart all over the place like he was on the tarmac trying to figure out where he wanted to go. He was totally oblivious to my plane as we passed each other at about fifty yards.

It already is congested in San Diego, you can not fly like your out over the desert at all.

-John

-John

Not true, the technology exists that between ADS-B and onboard detection/coms equipment autonomous 'e-see and avoid' is within the realm of technical reach.

Not true, the technology exists that between ADS-B and onboard detection/coms equipment autonomous 'e-see and avoid' is within the realm of technical reach.

The technology might be in reach, but will it be within reach of most pilots checkbook? As the price of this "fun" continues to climb to astronomical heights, so goes more and more people away from it.

Private aviation started out as a dalliance for the wealthy, and that is they way it is ending. It will not be to long before even the wealthiest will consider it a foolish waste of money.

-John

So every cub and champ will have to install an electrical system and will be forced to purchase $000s in hardware to have the privilege of coexisting with these aerobots.

If most of what they will use these uav for is near the ground, eg surveillance, then maybe above 3000AGL it will be clear? Just have to climb!!

The technology might be in reach, but will it be within reach of most pilots checkbook? As the price of this "fun" continues to climb to astronomical heights, so goes more and more people away from it.

Private aviation started out as a dalliance for the wealthy, and that is they way it is ending. It will not be to long before even the wealthiest will consider it a foolish waste of money.

-John

Well, if the proposal to enter an owner maint category allows one to use uncertified Exp avionics it won't be too bad.

So every cub and champ will have to install an electrical system and will be forced to purchase $000s in hardware to have the privilege of coexisting with these aerobots.

Yep, or stay in G most likely. The drones operating in the area will be e-see and avoid because it'll only end up costing a few hundred bucks.

Back