Are we really scared of our own shadows?

I can't speak for the concessionaire in question in this case, but most of the time the real reason for not allowing customers to possess the can or bottle is to make it harder for people to sneak their own beverages into the venue. Security guards and/or police are fed the same story about bottle and cans being potential weapons and are instructed to confiscate them for "security reasons," but the real reason is so the concession can force you to pay ten times the cost for the beer.

The way around this is to buy one beer, save the cup, and then sneak the cup and your smuggled beer into the ****ter (because it's the only place where you're probably not under surveillance -- at least officially), refill the cup from your smuggled stash, and leave the can or bottle behind.

When you use the porta-potty or restroom at a venue and it's littered with beer cans or bottles, or if you see people walking out of said accommodations with full cups of beer, that's the reason.

Rich

This makes much more sense.

This makes much more sense.

Oh, it's absolutely the case. I used to do occasional per-diem work for a mobile production company in Long Island. The audio/video control trailer also had monitoring stations for the security detail, and the most important thing the monitors did was "can-spotting." If they saw anyone in the audience with a can or bottle of beer, they'd radio the security guards with the location.

They could give a rat's ass if you fired up mega-spliffs and snorted crank all night. No one would bother you. Just don't pop the top on a smuggled Heineken.

Rich

Last edited:
When in doubt, it's always about the money.

Initially off topic but it's not as you read....

My son was a breach baby so about a month before the due date, he had to be moved around in his mothers womb. She is in an emergencY LDR hooked up to IV, with monitors, ultrasound, two on/surgery guy another MD, 2 residents and 3 nurses.

I'm sitting in the corner with her on/gyn. Guy looks at me and says': "I remember when I used to do this by myself with my nurse in my office". Probably before all the med lawsuits. Just saying. So yes, we are really scared of our own shadows.

Now, contrast this thread with the reality that is Oktoberfest in Munich -- the largest beer festival in the world.

People from all over the world, drinking, singing, eating, each with a 2 - liter glass stein. 4 million people in attendance -- each with a glass stein.

No one gets hurt. No one throws the steins. No one is arrested. (Those who may drink too much are gently steered to a giant tent with dozens of cots, where they simply sleep it off. It's all so...civilized.)

People tend to meet expectations.

Now, contrast this thread with the reality that is Oktoberfest in Munich -- the largest beer festival in the world.

People from all over the world, drinking, singing, eating, each with a 2 - liter glass stein. 4 million people in attendance -- each with a glass stein.

No one gets hurt. No one throws the steins. No one is arrested. (Those who may drink too much are gently steered to a giant tent with dozens of cots, where they simply sleep it off. It's all so...civilized.)

People tend to meet expectations.

The progressive mantra is that all people need controlled by the state. There is no option for self guided decision making in a progressive world.

Many laws or rules that seem stupid are the result of somebody doing something sometime in the past that caused the stupid law or rule to be put in place.

IOW, there is a reason. And it probably made sense at the time.

Many laws or rules that seem stupid are the result of somebody doing something sometime in the past that caused the stupid law or rule to be put in place.

IOW, there is a reason. And it probably made sense at the time.

There might have a been a motivation, but it's debatable whether the reaction was reasonable or ratonal.

Need to visit Bob's Country Bunker...
blues-brothers.jpg

Anyone else notice the soda fountains were gone from OSH this year and the plastic bottles of soda now cost as much as the old and larger soda drinks at the concessions?

I had been going to a particular concession spot in the afternoons for a fountain diet Pepsi (ugh. What's Wisconsin's obsession with Pepsi anyway?) to sip on for hours while watching airplanes, for the last four years. This year they hand me a bottle. Ugh.

The old cups were the usual coated paper. Wonder how many tons of plastic this change created at the Oshkosh landfill this year? I'm not a big screaming eco-terrorist but when you're talking hundreds of thousands of plastic bottles for the convenience of not waiting a sec to out sodas in a paper cup... Seems kinda stupid.

Slightly different topic: We still found bubblers (as they are called in Wisconsin), but the big, long trough versions were gone.

They added something nice to the new bubblers, however: A tall spigot for refilling water bottles. No more trying to fill your bottle from the drinking fountain -- we could refill a 12 ounce water bottle in about 10 seconds.

We bought water once all week -- and then just kept refilling the bottles. It worked great. (Although some of the water on the field still provides your annual supply of iron, every 6 ounces or so. lol)

I had been going to a particular concession spot in the afternoons for a fountain diet Pepsi (ugh. What's Wisconsin's obsession with Pepsi anyway?) to sip on for hours while watching airplanes, for the last four years. This year they hand me a bottle. Ugh.
It's a matter or sponsorship. Actually, the EAA was a Coke show for years until Pepsi made them a better deal. Same with the switch from Canon to Nikon a few years back.

Slightly different topic: We still found bubblers (as they are called in Wisconsin), but the big, long trough versions were gone.

Not only did they replace the bubblers this year, but at least in Vintage they seem to have sunk a new well or something. The water in the well behind the hangar cafe which feeds various thing in area is much improved.

The molten Formica core of Wisconsin solidified
250 million years ago near Brillion and was
carved by early Swedish, Danish, and standoffish
settlers into a four story diorama commemorating
Houdini, Liberace, Vince Lombardi and Edna
Ferber frying walleye on a snow shovel.

Meanwhile, primordial phlegm mixed with indigenous
Leinie and Mukwa, out of which emerged
the elusive burrowing amphibians dubbed
survivalists who eventually fossilized into a glittering
band of Posse Comitatusite up by Highway

Soon thereafter, Nicolet, with his younger brother
Nickel B, discovered Door County while sailing in
search of a Land's End outlet, unfortunately
pretzeling prematurely in Egg Harbor of a fish
boil.

A century later, Merriweather Lewis and Kimberly
Clark cleared the entire Hurley main drag in just
under six years, living on Lunchables,
Leinenkeugel, lutefisk and filleted fingerlings from
the Flambeau flowage.

Lewis and Clark continued south with the
Voyageurs, dragging a nine man khaki duck
dingy full of zebra mussels, Dutch elm beetles,
deer ticks, and purple loosestrife to trade with the
natives for hodag jerky and finger Jello.

Eventually they founded the Fox cities, naming
them after Columbus's ships, the Neenah,
Menasha, and Santa Maria, adjacent to
Wisconsin's only Hawaiian settlement, Kau
Kauna, which can be loosely translated as
“empty dog track.”

Continuing toward Illinois, in search of the fountain
of youth or, as it's called in Wisconsin, the
bubbler of youth, they realized they had overshot
the border when their guides began stopping
every few miles to throw forty cents into the
bushes.

They returned in 1848, just in time to see Wisconsin
gain statehood, which is like neighborhood
but with rest areas and a lottery.

Harley Davidson was our first governor, and
boxing was king, with Fighting Bob LaFollette
defending his crown against the Menard's Guy.
Time for a leftover millennial 2000 fun Wisconsin
fact: If the zeros in 2000 were subtracted from
the O's in Oconomowoc, you would be left with
Omro.

In closing, we should be proud that the state flour
is Pillsbury Presifted, state motto is "I Can Quit
Whenever I Want," state shield is an Illinois plate,
state opera is Aida Brat, the State symbol is the
plywood bent over garden hinder.

I just read that aloud to Mary, as we are waiting for our ferry boat to leave dock. We just about died laughing. Thanks, Ron!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How big of ******* have we become? Can we seriously not trust each other with an opened beer can? who comes up with this ****?

Here's the new reality:

In today's society, it only takes one person saying "Couldn't something bad happen if...?" to effectively force whoever is responsible for the situation to take action. Heaven forbid if a city councilman, a policeman, a building inspector, or a vendor at the concert didn't take every possible precaution because if something went wrong, it is a lawsuit, someone's career, etc. because the "victim" is going to pin blame on someone.

Went to a James Taylor concert in Columbia SC yesterday. Rowdy crowd, could have doubled as a retirement home but the show was great. Anyway, I get in line to get a beer. It's not exceptionally long but it's taking forever for anyone to get a beer.

There's 2 girls filling the orders and they're painstakingly cracking open beers and slowly pouring them into solo cups ( the cheap clear ones ) filled to the very top. Most everyone was spilling off the top 1/8 of the beer or so because just grabbing the flimsy cups sent beer everywhere.

So, I asked the girl if I could just have the can in the interest of saving time and not splashing beer everywhere and having a better vessel in which to transport it down 3 flights of stairs. She replied "no because you could use the can as a weapon". Nevermind the fact that I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket that security didn't notice nor the fact that you could walk 30' over to the merch table and pick up a sturdy ceramic coffee mug.

How big of ******* have we become? Can we seriously not trust each other with an opened beer can? who comes up with this ****?

That's BS like when people say "insurance regulations prohibit...". The real reason is it makes it easy to collect the already sorted aluminum at the end of the night. But your point is valid, the safety boogeyman is used as the basis of the lie that you can't question or combat.

Here's the new reality:

In today's society, it only takes one person saying "Couldn't something bad happen if...?" to effectively force whoever is responsible for the situation to take action. Heaven forbid if a city councilman, a policeman, a building inspector, or a vendor at the concert didn't take every possible precaution because if something went wrong, it is a lawsuit, someone's career, etc. because the "victim" is going to pin blame on someone.

Yep. If something goes wrong like, for example, somebody does get hurt by a beer can, and a lawyer can prove "management" knew somebody could be hurt in this way - and they did not do anything about it - then we are off to lawsuit city.

We went to ACL (Austin City Limits), the new venue - a concrete cube with occasional plywood siding (painted grey to match the concrete) - which shows what great "artistic" talent lives in Austin (yay, hippies, right?). Best part was that while walking to the main stairs, "security guards" were wanding every male. I realized "oh sh*t, I have my pocket knife on me, they will arrest me!" So I handed the knife to the wife who put it in her purse. I got wanded and we moved on. Problem solved. We reached the top of the stairs where female "security guards" were searching female purses. I grabbed my knife that the wife pulled out of her purse and handed to me and put it back in my pocket. I was allowed inside.
Wife's purse was searched and a bottle of water found. I returned to aid her. The "security" ape was belligerent that water is not allowed and we must throw it away that instant. Wife did so with a grimace. I told the ape that I feel "oh so much safer now". She gave me a typical ape-like blank stare of IQ below 20. No verbal response, just a gesture to move on.

These people sure know how to make us all safer. Doesn't matter whether it is pot-brain-fried hippies here in Austin or TSA anywhere else. Just imagine that these hare-brained individuals with collective IQ lower than any of ours are in charge of sharp objects, firearms and what's worse .... our lives. :hairraise: Try to sleep well tonight. :D

Wife's purse was searched and a bottle of water found. I returned to aid her. The "security" ape was belligerent that water is not allowed and we must throw it away that instant. Wife did so with a grimace. I told the ape that I feel "oh so much safer now". She gave me a typical ape-like blank stare of IQ below 20. No verbal response, just a gesture to move on.

Remember, that "ape" is a person doing a job. S/he didn't set the policy, so there's no reason to be disrespectful. If you have a problem with the policy (and no doubt, a lot of that stuff is silliness), talk to the management because at least then, you might be dealing with the person responsible for the ridiculous policies.

Remember, that "ape" is a person doing a job. S/he didn't set the policy, so there's no reason to be disrespectful. If you have a problem with the policy (and no doubt, a lot of that stuff is silliness), talk to the management because at least then, you might be dealing with the person responsible for the ridiculous policies.

True, no argument here.
But the way the message was delivered made it clear that she more than believed that the bottle posed danger to the society and must be destroyed in the most gruesome way possible. A polite and simple "sorry, ma'am, outside water is not allowed" is one way to go. Whereas "you ain't goin' in there with that" rubs me the wrong way for some reason. My parents taught me to be polite to others and I believe that's the right way to live. So I politely choose to dislike that security person doing her job.

Now let's forget about TSA, security guards and let's go fly! It is cooling down outside, should fall below 100F soon ... I'll jump in the convertible and head for the airport. :yesnod:

When you use the porta-potty or restroom at a venue and it's littered with beer cans or bottles, or if you see people walking out of said accommodations with full cups of beer, that's the reason.

Rich
Well I'm glad to hear that is the reason for the cups full of yellow liquid coming out of the port a potty.

Went to a James Taylor concert in Columbia SC yesterday. Rowdy crowd, could have doubled as a retirement home but the show was great. Anyway, I get in line to get a beer. It's not exceptionally long but it's taking forever for anyone to get a beer.

There's 2 girls filling the orders and they're painstakingly cracking open beers and slowly pouring them into solo cups ( the cheap clear ones ) filled to the very top. Most everyone was spilling off the top 1/8 of the beer or so because just grabbing the flimsy cups sent beer everywhere.

So, I asked the girl if I could just have the can in the interest of saving time and not splashing beer everywhere and having a better vessel in which to transport it down 3 flights of stairs. She replied "no because you could use the can as a weapon". Nevermind the fact that I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket that security didn't notice nor the fact that you could walk 30' over to the merch table and pick up a sturdy ceramic coffee mug.

So this change was made when some idiots at a football game started throwing those plastic beer bottles on the field at players. Don't know if people got hurt, but it stopped the game. Hard to thrown a solo cup that far.

Basically, idiots ruin things for the rest of us.

We went to ACL (Austin City Limits), the new venue - a concrete cube with occasional plywood siding (painted grey to match the concrete) - which shows what great "artistic" talent lives in Austin (yay, hippies, right?). Best part was that while walking to the main stairs, "security guards" were wanding every male. I realized "oh sh*t, I have my pocket knife on me, they will arrest me!" So I handed the knife to the wife who put it in her purse. I got wanded and we moved on. Problem solved. We reached the top of the stairs where female "security guards" were searching female purses. I grabbed my knife that the wife pulled out of her purse and handed to me and put it back in my pocket. I was allowed inside.

...aaaaaand that isn't about safety. Its about making you buy water at the venue to take more money from you.

True, no argument here.
But the way the message was delivered made it clear that she more than believed that the bottle posed danger to the society and must be destroyed in the most gruesome way possible. A polite and simple "sorry, ma'am, outside water is not allowed" is one way to go. Whereas "you ain't goin' in there with that" rubs me the wrong way for some reason. My parents taught me to be polite to others and I believe that's the right way to live. So I politely choose to dislike that security person doing her job.

Now let's forget about TSA, security guards and let's go fly! It is cooling down outside, should fall below 100F soon ... I'll jump in the convertible and head for the airport. :yesnod:

The logical way to address that issue is to ask the person to open the bottle and drink some...... if they do, let them in with it..... If they don't.. you run like hell...:yikes::eek:....:redface:

So this change was made when some idiots at a football game started throwing those plastic beer bottles on the field at players. Don't know if people got hurt, but it stopped the game. Hard to thrown a solo cup that far.
I remember when some spectators at a football game in Europe (aka "soccer") threw dozens of toilet paper rolls onto the field, halting the game.
This incident lead to the three seashells we have today. :lol:

...aaaaaand that isn't about safety. Its about making you buy water at the venue to take more money from you.
Hence our name for them ... "profit security guard". :)

The logical way to address that issue is to ask the person to open the bottle and drink some...... if they do, let them in with it..... If they don't.. you run like hell...:yikes::eek:....:redface:
Yes, there ARE people out there who remember that TSA used to be cool! Yes, good old days of common sense. Too bad that CS is long dead now. Burried along with courtesy, manners, politeness, good spelling and, unfortunately, also intellect.

Sheesh. If "outside water" isn't allowed one may want to "drain the tank" on the spot!

Never know when that water might want to come out of your bladder once inside the no-water zone.

Think of the children! :)

I will respond to your question with a question of my own: why is getting a beer in a cup instead of the can reason for such a fit? Big deal. Pour out the top quarter inch and proceed with life. :dunno:

The real reason, or so I was told...

Is because they're going to video the show, probably for some sort of DVD, and they don't want the brand of beer in the video.

That's according to someone pretty high up at least when I asked them this question when they had to pour cans into cups at a Luke Bryan concert. Said the vendors and the facility would much rather just hand people the cans but the artist requires it to avoid licensing issues with the beer companies in the video of the concert they may sell.

Last edited:
Very

Of course but that isn't the point now is it

It is either the Liberals or it is George Bush's fault not sure:dunno::lol:

Society of sheep.

We've always been Like that. Thats how a Democracy works; unfortunately.

Try to imagine a society run by intelligent educated leaders who only responded to facts. Its the same reason we don't pay to watch Physicists play baseball.

Back